Been outa the game for 20 YRS

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

liam8889

Hi, I qualified as a Plasterer 20 Yrs ago and changed job when my apprenticeship finished ( Bad Choice ). I achieved NVQ 1,2 & 3 including fibrous work. I lost my way and want to get back into it. Any ideas on the best way to go about this or just leap in at the deep end?
I would be able to offer some freebie time to get me hand back on the trowel.
Any advice would be gr8.

A tradesman never forgets his skills. You will just be a little bit rusty a bit rusty. Go straight back in you dont need to be doing any freebies you will only get ripped off .

Liam. A tradesman never forgets his skills just gets a little rusty. Back in boots first just need to address some of them new materials. No freebies you will just get used

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I shall dust off me tools and plaster some walls at home wether they need it or not. New materials? Will have to swot up on them!

A tradesman never forgets his skills. You will just be a little bit rusty a bit rusty. Go straight back in you dont need to be doing any freebies you will only get ripped off .

How can you get ripped off if your working for free?

Simply by working on a free trial for a firm that offers you work. You do the free work and they tell you that you do not meet their standards.
There are plenty out there who will mug you. Some offer training which is absolutely useless on the pretext of work at the end of it.

welcome along and Good luck to you after that long away at least your elbow, shoulder and knees should be ok still so you could still get a few good years out of it.

Thanks for the advice. Why do i wanna get back in the game after 20 yrs? Mmmnnn. Midlife crisis probably lol. Or could be lack of money. Nah. Did always enjoy it but made bad decision early on. Just hope me ageing joints will cope.

welcome to the forum Liam :) and good luck with your joints , how old are you then ? and what job did you do instead of the spreading ?........

39 and done allsorts. Hgv driving, car sales, roofing and cladding, currently a school caretaker yawn. Its boring.

Simply by working on a free trial for a firm that offers you work. You do the free work and they tell you that you do not meet their standards.
There are plenty out there who will mug you. Some offer training which is absolutely useless on the pretext of work at the end of it.
Maybe they are ****

Hi Liam I am about to get back into the game after 20 years maybe we could join forces and become the slowest plasterers in town

​Good Luck mate

Two of the best plasterers that used to work for my Dad back in the 1970's used to do a lot of side work on the weekends. Their favorite explanation for working weekends was that if they didn't practice using their trowels on the weekends they wouldn't remember how to use 'em the following week.

Status
Not open for further replies.