Bedding in a new trowel

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilPlaster

Private Member
Whats the quickest way to train in a new trowel? I used to do a few floors with em and that did the trick. Do you guys just give a finished wall an extra go with a new trowel?

basically just by using it more so on the final trowel there is always sand an cement when i get a new one esp for skimming i just go over it with some wet an dry just on the edges

used to scrape floors with them for a while , let them go rusty and after couple of months give them a good clean and their perfect!

Bruce Willis said:
just bought a marshaltown permashape. I'll give it a go tomoz.
pity that mate i have one here you could have had it an its well burnt in too i just cant get on with the banana blade

best way is to just use it straight away you can get just as good finish with a new trowel as a worn in

Bruce Willis said:

i've got one and i only use it for laying on. for some reason the edges just won't wear in enough. got myself a new refina and using it on the s&c we're doing at the minute. then i'l give it a quick go with a diamond wet stone just to finish her off. perfect.

steve cov said:
Bruce Willis said:

i've got one and i only use it for laying on. for some reason the edges just won't wear in enough. got myself a new refina and using it on the s&c we're doing at the minute. then i'l give it a quick go with a diamond wet stone just to finish her off. perfect.
I dont get the laying on and then finishing trowel thing! I only use one trowel from start to finish. How come you switch?

this is complicated ;D . my main trowel is a refina. broken in lovely. there i was happily skimming away. fu ckin labourer dropped it one day and the top rivets gone. so if i try to use it for laying on it puts fu ckin lines all over the place. i was breaking in the marshall town anyway for a spare so started using that to lay on with just to make it easier and neater. but when i try and finish with it, it seems to drag more. i can still get a nice finish but its more effort than the refina. i have to use the MT for the first trowel over aswell. so i'm gonna keep to that combination for now until this new refina is ready then i'll only use that one.

i'm gonna do that with my new float. its gonna be about 2.5mm thick and completely round by the time im finished

Steve bring it down here and do this 120m2 gable end i`m doing next week, reckon it will be done by the end of that.

kebab king said:
Steve bring it down here and do this 120m2 gable end i`m doing next week, reckon it will be done by the end of that.

how about i send it down and you do it for me?

yeah they need breaking in a bit more to get just right bruce. i can go over it with the pubes before i send them to rich if you want?

Tried it out today on the final polish, sh*te, it needs an rough sanding down the edge first. On the permashapes its been machined leavin loads of lines thatll have to be taken down first.

You wont get as 'polished' a finish as good as u will with a broken in carbon
at 1st but ive always found that a bit of s+c/screeding and theyre ok in no time.
Always should have one in reserve tho for when ur thick labourer thinks
that trowels glide to the ground from the 3rd floor

irish_spread said:
at 1st but ive always found that a bit of s+c/screeding and theyre ok in no time.

our last labourer was with us about 2 years and broke the top rivet on mine and the top rivet on the other blokes aswell!

irish_spread said:
Thats the reason I got this one as a back up other wise Im in sh*t street. ;)

Theyre good trowels. I always get the s steel ones and ive worked with them from day one.
Tough as nails but ive been thru 3 of them in 4 years cos of dopey labourers. Funny enough
ive been saving up and im getting another at the weekend ;D

irish_spread said:
Theyre good trowels. I always get the s steel ones and ive worked with them from day one.
Tough as nails but ive been thru 3 of them in 4 years cos of dopey labourers. Funny enough
ive been saving up and im getting another at the weekend ;D

try a refina instead. then save up and get a new labourer ;)

Not too sure about the width of it though. Its 5" and im used to 4n half, It just seems dead wide in my hand. I am still talikin about trowels by the way ::)

Bruce Willis said:
Not too sure about the width of it though. Its 5" and im used to 4n half, It just seems dead wide in my hand. I am still talikin about trowels by the way ::)

refinas are 4 and a half ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.