Becoming a self employed plasterer after being a lorry driver for 8 years..

Scotty.c

I’ve done my level 1&2 in plastering on a college course after I finished school, after the course I took a few jobs on and worked as a labourer for a short time, I then decided to go and work in Spain as a Holliday rep for a year which obviously took me away from plastering, I came back and fell into a van driving job then progressed to class 2 lorry’s. I’m 29 and want to start plastering professionally, I’ve recently done a few friends/ family jobs also skimmed my whole house, I’m now confident I can plaster at a good quality, if there are any tips about getting back into the trade properly then please get in touch, I can’t decide weather to work for myself or apply for a firm etc.

I’ve done my level 1&2 in plastering on a college course after I finished school, after the course I took a few jobs on and worked as a labourer for a short time, I then decided to go and work in Spain as a Holliday rep for a year which obviously took me away from plastering, I came back and fell into a van driving job then progressed to class 2 lorry’s. I’m 29 and want to start plastering professionally, I’ve recently done a few friends/ family jobs also skimmed my whole house, I’m now confident I can plaster at a good quality, if there are any tips about getting back into the trade properly then please get in touch, I can’t decide weather to work for myself or apply for a firm etc.
No offence meant but you won't be plastering to a good standard having picked up a trowel for the first time in 10 years and skimmed a house and a few walls in my opinion

You need to work with a few proper spreads for a year or so, to get up to speed learn a few things like float and set, sand and cement tacking and floor screeding but then again if you just want to be a skimmer you just need to get your speed up.
With the way it is getting hold of materials you may have picked the wrong time for a career change

Break your hidden stash of rum out and get pissed Stormin
im on jameson irish whisky tonight /a freeby / but back to work tomorow full time for a few weeks to the job I was on before lockdown all the walls in this place to re skim done 5 beds and 2 big sit rooms already so on road early :(

Attachments

• SAM_3127.JPG
    SAM_3127.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 157
  • SAM_3129.JPG
    SAM_3129.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 145
  • SAM_3130.JPG
    SAM_3130.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 152
No offence meant but you won't be plastering to a good standard having picked up a trowel for the first time in 10 years and skimmed a house and a few walls in my opinion
It’s to a professional standard I’m told, I took my time with it so I won’t be as fast as another plasterer. But all my clients were very happy with the results, I’m just keen to get back into it..

im on jameson irish whisky tonight /a freeby / but back to work tomorow full time for a few weeks to the job I was on before lockdown all the walls in this place to re skim done 5 beds and 2 big sit rooms already so on road early :(
My Mrs drinks Jameson’s has it with ginger ale but don’t think any less of her

Class II isn't a lorry driver. Lorries have trailers

you could work for a maintenance company,as i remember they never expect too much from you in a day,you can take on privates gradually, use the firms materials and build your speed and confidence that way

you will have to be self employed.
no firm will employ you as you are not up to speed. firms need people who are going to earn the com. money not cost the comp. money.
Fair enough, I wouldn’t mind working as a labourer for a good plasterers firm or something like that for the mean time tbh..