Becoming a Plasterer at 40

Members online

DaiSlap

Hi all,

Any advice on becoming a plasterer at 40?

Not in a position to give up my fulltime job so would need to learn part time. Any advice would be great.

Also interested to hear about physical demands. Obviously, at 40, I'm no spring chicken, but am relatively fit. Generally, is it something people are still doing in their 50's/60's?

Thanks

Last edited:
Fortunately, I've just purchased a house that needs a lot of plastering to be done. And the rendering outside probably needs to be done so I have lots of opportunity to practice.

Would it be cheeky if I asked a plasterer to do the work but for a discount if I helped (e.g. I did the labour and he cut that cost)?

Thanks

Fortunately, I've just purchased a house that needs a lot of plastering to be done. And the rendering outside probably needs to be done so I have lots of opportunity to practice.

Would it be cheeky if I asked a plasterer to do the work but for a discount if I helped (e.g. I did the labour and he cut that cost)?

Thanks

The last useless prat that thought he was going to help me. He came up the room that I was working in, walked into the cupboard which had no floor in it, fell through the joists and broke his ribs.

Thanks
I'd tell you to f**k off ya cheeky t**t tbh..but I'll play along.hey smoother,try again

The last useless prat that thought he was going to help me. He came up the room that I was working in, walked into the cupboard which had no floor in it, fell through the joists and broke his ribs.
Tell truth you took em out.

If you’re fit and able go for it.

With regards to dropping price and labouring, I’d tell you to pay me more for training you.
Good point, fair play. I'll offer free labour and see what I can pick up and go from there. Maybe try a week's course to start.

Thanks
No.
Charge customer more if they watch you work.

And double it if they do the labouring.

You might be able to pay someone a day rate to show you.

Let’s face it even if you were thinking of becoming a pole dancer I doubt a part time pole dancer would turn out as good as a full time one

Eventually your going to have to charge someone. It will take you a week to skim a box room , how much will you charge.?

Thanks
If the customer does ask to help I normal charge more.

Deep down @stuart23 wabts to make a plastering come back , he knows it, we know ,

Come on stu mate pick up the trowel again let’s go
Even at his ripe old age

Yeah, I think I’ll just pay and leave the house. Most of you lot sound like right miserable c***s so don’t want to be dealing with that. Lol.

Thanks to those gave a decent reply. To everyone else, ffs, cheer up.

Deep down @stuart23 wabts to make a plastering come back , he knows it, we know ,

Come on stu mate pick up the trowel again let’s go
Even at his ripe old age
Done my mates man cave on Thursday and it’s broke me, also on waiting list for a new hip so it’s safe to say I won’t be jumping back on the trowel anytime soon mate.

Yeah, I think I’ll just pay and leave the house. Most of you lot sound like right miserable c***s so don’t want to be dealing with that. Lol.

They've given you honest replies, at 40 it's big ask, not impossible. Getting experience with someone else is very difficult and it genuinely takes time to learn.
Lots of squaddies spend their demob allowance on a 6-week course, try to practice on their own home, then hope to go solo or get a place with a gang - on peanuts money skimming/labouring most probably.
They're young fit and hard working, and you're going up against them.
- and you wonder why guys and gals with time served years/experience sound so negative??

Done my mates man cave on Thursday and it’s broke me, also on waiting list for a new hip so it’s safe to say I won’t be jumping back on the trowel anytime soon mate.
Broke back man cave, what every happens in man cave stays in man cave.
R.1069efb62b433924ff7dd3eda331739e

Good luck with the op, hope you get back fit an well soon.

You can do what you want. Some will interpret the reply’s as negative. Some tough love blah blah blah.

The thing is, would you prefer everyone to say go for it and then fall flat on your face within 6 months?!

There’s one thing knowing how to do the job, then there’s dealing with customers and working in peoples homes whilst doing the job.

That’s a skill in itself and everyone is different in how they learn that, deal with it and do the job they were asked to do while keeping Mrs jones happy.