Beading - Hook on beads

Status
Not open for further replies.

basset

Hows it going lads?

Have any of you guys used hook on beads? Are they any good?

The company has sent me a samll sample to see, but they havent mentioned cost or anything yet.

I have used them a few times and they work fine. they have small spikes on the back so they hook in to the wall when you push them on to a corner. it means you don't have to hold them in place while you fix them.
a lad I worked with said you don't need to nail them in place, but it's always a good idea.

I ordered a box of 50 today 48quid with vat with free delivery and a tub of pva so not to bad thought would give them a good go then

has anyone actually just fixed them in place with the spikes on the back? when I used them I fixed them in place with nails too.

has anyone actually just fixed them in place with the spikes on the back? when I used them I fixed them in place with nails too.
:RpS_confused:
What's the point of buyin hook on beads if you gonna nail them on.:RpS_unsure:

I get them for £30 a box of 50 plus vat and delivered free. In my opinion they are great for speed on board work and I even use them on over skims. I nail the bottom of the bead on door ways just for added strength, apart from that I don't bother. I do tend to use the rubber end of my estwing hammer to bash them on they get a better grip that way and you don't put a shed load of multi finish that is not nesersey around them

I did a review on these last year, hook sent me a box free gratis and they are bang on , no need for secondary fixing ( unless on overskims) but as said tap on with the rubber end and away you go, their like the fiba tape of the plastering world

Last edited:
I get them for £30 a box of 50 plus vat and delivered free. In my opinion they are great for speed on board work and I even use them on over skims. I nail the bottom of the bead on door ways just for added strength, apart from that I don't bother. I do tend to use the rubber end of my estwing hammer to bash them on they get a better grip that way and you don't put a shed load of multi finish that is not nesersey around them
Where do you get them from?

@ sub55, fatarm, johniosaif and essexandy.
I am real and I'm not taking the piss.
chrisjack mentioned that he sometimes puts a few nails in them for added strength.
no one is taking the piss out of him for using nails to fix hook beads. so why me?

the odd time, of course, we will have a nail or screw, the very odd time or a preference like chrisjack around doors. but its akin to using plaster to bed fibatape for the main usage

Where do you get them from?

Matt at r and j fixings. You would need to buy 2 boxes to get the free delivery. They also do decent PVA, scrim tape, single edge, screws, dust sheets etc etc etc. Matt always has looked after me so can give you his number if needed. Christ I think I need extra discount from them after this lol

the odd time, of course, we will have a nail or screw, the very odd time or a preference like chrisjack around doors. but its akin to using plaster to bed fibatape for the main usage

I have only occasionally used nails with hook on beads in the same scenario as chris mentioned.
I don't use plaster to bed fiber tape either.

Oh we all get abuse , don't ever take anything here personally, some like the wind up..

No it's not just that, and it's not just here either. I have noticed it on site, on private jobs, even when talking to another plasterer in the pub.
everyone thinks they know better than everyone else, everyone thinks they can do better than everyone else. it seems to be only plasterers that act this way too. before I qualified as a plasterer, I worked as a joiner with a friend of mine. after fitting doors, skirting board, architrave, building stud walls etc, I never had another joiner look at my work and tell me they could have done it better or quicker, or they would have done it a different way. my first job as a plasterer, I had three other spreads taking the piss out of me, even though there was nothing wrong with my work or how I had done it.
says all you need to know really doesn't it.

I think you bring some of it on yourself to be fair,there is always barracking in our world, you maybe over sensitive or the serious type, I don't know you ,no more than I know anyone on here or anyone that knows me, the problem with forums is that people read into posts on here without seeing the full picture,

No it's not just that, and it's not just here either. I have noticed it on site, on private jobs, even when talking to another plasterer in the pub.
everyone thinks they know better than everyone else, everyone thinks they can do better than everyone else. it seems to be only plasterers that act this way too. before I qualified as a plasterer, I worked as a joiner with a friend of mine. after fitting doors, skirting board, architrave, building stud walls etc, I never had another joiner look at my work and tell me they could have done it better or quicker, or they would have done it a different way. my first job as a plasterer, I had three other spreads taking the piss out of me, even though there was nothing wrong with my work or how I had done it.

Are you G**.

Matt at r and j fixings. You would need to buy 2 boxes to get the free delivery. They also do decent PVA, scrim tape, single edge, screws, dust sheets etc etc etc. Matt always has looked after me so can give you his number if needed. Christ I think I need extra discount from them after this lol
Thanks mate, already get stuff from them. Their waterproof dustsheets are amazing, last for years.

I think you may just of worked with some very well mannered joiners or other trades for that matter cos believe me i have heard all trades go on like this not just plasterers. Mind you some are snidey fookers and do it behind peep's backs but you will get that in any line of work not just construction.

I think you may just of worked with some very well mannered joiners or other trades for that matter cos believe me i have heard all trades go on like this not just plasterers. Mind you some are snidey fookers and do it behind peep's backs but you will get that in any line of work not just construction.

You may be right, but I have only noticed such behavior with plasterers, not all but most of them.
I know plastering is a competitive job, but belittling someone else won't make you any better.

I wasn't complaining about a bit of banter, I was simply trying to make a point.

The only point you've managed to get across recently is that you are an argumentative, whingeing, know nothing tosser with a chip on your shoulder.
Apart from that you seem a great chap.

Status
Not open for further replies.