Be careful out there

Members online

CeeVee

A mate just called me to say his son just fell on to his trowel.
He's severed the artery in his arm and gone through to the bone...
Luckily someone was with him to apply a tourniquet and they made it to hospital before he bled out.
He's currently in surgery.

Be careful. We're all basically working with huge razor blades with handles.

Last edited:
Did similar myself cut through tendon left index finger
Nowadays I’m totally protected at work with safety clothing

A mate just called me to say his son just fell on to his trowel.
He's severed the artery in his arm and gone through to the bone...
Luckily someone was with him to apply a tourniquet and they made it to hospital before he bled out.
He's currently in surgery.

Be careful. We're all basically working with huge razor blades with handles.
Sounds painful hope the lad is ok I think a lot of us take for granted how dangerous a trowel can be could happen to any of us at anytime

Glad he got to hospital ok hope everything ok....yes always wear protection

36106050-325C-4FF1-BB13-07637B800815.jpeg

Sounds nasty. Speedy recovery. Last year got infection in thumb caused by metal splinters from black drywalls . Cellulitis, on drip in hospital for four days, doctor sent me for scan saying possibly "life changing operation" was lucky, amputation of thumb was very real prospect at one stage. Used zinc screws since then .

Sounds nasty. Speedy recovery. Last year got infection in thumb caused by metal splinters from black drywalls . Cellulitis, on drip in hospital for four days, doctor sent me for scan saying possibly "life changing operation" was lucky, amputation of thumb was very real prospect at one stage. Used zinc screws since then .

Jeez what were they going to do to you?

Jeez what were they going to do to you?
I should add that it was splinters that broke the skin that allowed an infection in (most likely from picking up a stick to throw for dog we think) not the screws themselves. If the infection had got into the deeper tissue then the thumb would've been removed. Infection had spread up arm to shoulder. Went in to walk in centre late eve coz the wife was hassling me (I wasn't going to go) that was a Tuesday and didn't come out until the Saturday. All caused by phosphate screws. Used to enjoy picking them out with a needle in the evenings.

Thats shocking mate!The amount of times I get splinters from screws like you mentioned and would never of thought that.Glad your ok mate,and it helps having a nagging mrs sometimes lol

Thats shocking mate!The amount of times I get splinters from screws like you mentioned and would never of thought that.Glad your ok mate,and it helps having a nagging mrs sometimes lol
Yes, she was right that time. She keeps telling me more likely whole hand might've gone, I doubt that, but I was googling bionic hands whilst I was in hospital. I'll never forget the doc mouthing the words 'life changing operation' it's imprinted on my mind. Is amazing how things can escalate so quickly. My right thumb is still bigger than the left and joint pain occasionally a year or so on.

I know that feeling mate about the life changing as I had an accident when I was 15.I got hit my by a car doing around 45mph and was in a right State.Other than a pain in my knee which I get in cold weather I'm ok touch wood.Good you went when you did though mate and caught it just in time by the sounds of it.Dont think I will touch a collted screw again after that tbh.

I should add that it was splinters that broke the skin that allowed an infection in (most likely from picking up a stick to throw for dog we think) not the screws themselves. If the infection had got into the deeper tissue then the thumb would've been removed. Infection had spread up arm to shoulder. Went in to walk in centre late eve coz the wife was hassling me (I wasn't going to go) that was a Tuesday and didn't come out until the Saturday. All caused by phosphate screws. Used to enjoy picking them out with a needle in the evenings.
Being a chippy I get thousands of metal splinters off screws and like you pick them out with a needle.

Not a week goes by with a blood letting of some kind. Could you ever become immune to Staph infections and Tetnus?

Streptococcus and staphylococcus bacteria are everywhere living on yourself and the wife and everyone. You could have picked it up off anyone and any thing. Possibly your needle?

Being a chippy I get thousands of metal splinters off screws and like you pick them out with a needle.

Not a week goes by with a blood letting of some kind. Could you ever become immune to Staph infections and Tetnus?

Streptococcus and staphylococcus bacteria are everywhere living on yourself and the wife and everyone. You could have picked it up off anyone and any thing. Possibly your needle?

Now that's what you call a splinter ! :coffe:

Screenshot_20190119-013930.png

Just sold my van today. The guy hasn't worked for a year he's a chippy fell off a roof 16ft.broke both shoulders he's f.cked. bought it for son. He fell up my steps outside. Nice bloke .u never know.Cheers.