Batten & Board vs Float & Set vs Dot & Dab

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy

Just wondering in what instances you fellas would choose to use one of these methods over the other?

with u there mate float everything possible much better job and hate battening out an screwing boards if the wall ur screwing to is out your wall is gonna be out

i like any to b honest it means im not skimming which is boring ........dot and dabs more versitile but hollow walls sound cheap

dot and dab..has 2 be that me company name!..i should of called my self float and set

d+d where it needs to be cheap..
s+c damp problem (problem sorted) walls or walk away..
hardwall where d+d comes too proud (refurb usually)

garage conversions - single skin..
bloke who did the one i did yesterday had 75 cellotex in the walls with a vapour barrier and TWO 1 inch air gaps..
beggars belief, building inspector only young, read the kyoto agreement..
just gotta pretty much build a stud wall up against the outside skin and fill it with insulation..
i used to do em with 50mm jablite and 2x2 batten..
not any more though..
is this right btw? the git made him use a 4" cavity in the front wall? 4"? surely not?

So bigsegs you seem like a knowledgeable kind of fella - Ive got a job coming up on an old house, the walls I need to do (both upstairs and downstairs) have had damp issues in the past, the owners taken it all back to brickwork and says hes 'pretty' sure the damp situation has been sorted - Ive not got much experience with damp work, Am I right in thinking that my best bet is to float the walls out using a Sand, Cement, Waterproof mixture?

Cowboy said:
So bigsegs you seem like a knowledgeable kind of fella - Ive got a job coming up on an old house, the walls I need to do (both upstairs and downstairs) have had damp issues in the past, the owners taken it all back to brickwork and says hes 'pretty' sure the damp situation has been sorted - Ive not got much experience with damp work, Am I right in thinking that my best bet is to float the walls out using a Sand, Cement, Waterproof mixture?
Bang on, sand/cement every time when refurbing older property's or you will end up with damp problems guaranteed .Only way round this if you cant float n set is to put a scratch coat of sand/cem with water poofer on the walls up to 1.3mtr high from DPC height on the ground floor, but then you may still have the issue off penetrating damp on solid ext walls (no cavity) so you would need to scratch these as well, expensive this way though so if you can float n set use sand n cement go with it, and its cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.