Batten and plasterboarding advice

Members online

No members online now.

Gurty

Hi people, new to the forum so go easy on me.

Me and her indoors have recently bought a property that is in need of a full skim through out.

The kitchen walls are in a right mess though and would be better off (imo) being battened and boarded.

I’m planning on using 25mm x 50mm batten fixed with 70mm masonary screws. 400mm centres and batten running horizontally at the top and bottom.

Here are some questions on the things I’m unsure on...

Do I need dpc 100mm behind the batten?
Do I plasterboard straight onto the battens with 12.5mm board? If so do I need to insulate it?

No damp in the room either

Any help would be much appreciated

what is the reason for battens?
if its because of uneven surface you eould be better off with dot and dab as yoi can make your own level.
it will also give you more room.

what is the reason for battens?
if its because of uneven surface you eould be better off with dot and dab as yoi can make your own level.
it will also give you more room.

I’m just thinking about putting the kitchen in after that’s all tbh. Would give me some solid timbers to fix to with the units.

Would the dot and dab carry all that weight? I know I could still fix into the masonary but would the void behind the board be of concern?

Hi people, new to the forum so go easy on me.

Me and her indoors have recently bought a property that is in need of a full skim through out.

The kitchen walls are in a right mess though and would be better off (imo) being battened and boarded.

I’m planning on using 25mm x 50mm batten fixed with 70mm masonary screws. 400mm centres and batten running horizontally at the top and bottom.

Here are some questions on the things I’m unsure on...

Do I need dpc 100mm behind the batten?
Do I plasterboard straight onto the battens with 12.5mm board? If so do I need to insulate it?

No damp in the room either

Any help would be much appreciated

battens are shite in kitchen areas due to fitting your kitchen...float skim or as dan says (y)...make sure if your DIY plenty of dabs for units.

I’m just thinking about putting the kitchen in after that’s all tbh. Would give me some solid timbers to fix to with the units.

Would the dot and dab carry all that weight? I know I could still fix into the masonary but would the void behind the board be of concern?
youve got more chance of fixing into a dab or masonary...
the battens your not going to hit everytime. and even if you do liklyhood will be the battens split of not hit centred.

you would still dab before kitchen