Bathroom walls - undercoat/skim or render?

VS19

Hi,
Taking tiles off the wall and some of the plaster just came off with the tiles and now need to repair plaster which is about 2cm thick in some places.

Not sure if this plaster and needs new undercoat and skim before tiling over it or am i supposed to use cement render as its a bathroom wall).

Will be tiling up to the ceiling in 60x60cm tiles.

If its undercoat and skim over it (as I think you cant tile straight over undercoat plaster)
If its cement render do i add a spot of fairy liquid in the mix? Skim afterwards?

Is PVA required in any case?

Only ever done patching before and nothing this big and bit worried as its going in a bathroom.

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 308
Hi,
Taking tiles off the wall and some of the plaster just came off with the tiles and now need to repair plaster which is about 2cm thick in some places.

Not sure if this plaster and needs new undercoat and skim before tiling over it or am i supposed to use cement render as its a bathroom wall).

If its undercoat and skim over it (as I think you cant tile straight over undercoat plaster)
If its cement render do i add a spot of fairy liquid in the mix? Skim afterwards?

Only ever done patching before and nothing this big and bit worried as its going in a bathroom.
@John j

Hi,

That's about as basic as it gets ,if you do not know how to sort that little mess out what the f**k are you doing in this game and i presume your charging the customer or should i say fleecing..

That's about as basic as it gets ,if you do not know how to sort that little mess out what the f**k are you doing in this game and i presume your charging the customer or should i say fleecing..
There is no need for rudeness.. if you dont wish to help then why waste your time responding. Perhaps i wasnt clear but this is not my 'game'. Considering that it's a forum where people and pros help assumed there would be someone who could help, instead found a few trolls on here. I am being forced to do it myself now cos I tried twice to get it done professionally, first time the guy took a deposit and then ran off with the money, second time hired a bathroom fitter and he took the tiles off the wall and then got a bigger job working for a property developer and stopped coming. Due to covid and a family member that needs shielding it's difficult without a bathroom, reluctantly giving it a go as its a bathroom that cant be used right not.

My profession is IT, i am on many forums and help out contributing on them and when people ask for random advice. I kind of hoped that someone would offer the same in an area that I am asking for advice in.

Well.. am new to the forum and not a plasterer by trade.
Was that a bizarre way of saying thank you for replying
There is no need for rudeness.. if you dont wish to help then why waste your time responding. Perhaps i wasnt clear but this is not my 'game'. Considering that it's a forum where people and pros help assumed there would be someone who could help, instead found a few trolls on here. I am being forced to do it myself now cos I tried twice to get it done professionally, first time the guy took a deposit and then ran off with the money, second time hired a bathroom fitter and he took the tiles off the wall and then got a bigger job working for a property developer and stopped coming. Due to covid and a family member that needs shielding it's difficult without a bathroom, reluctantly giving it a go as its a bathroom that cant be used right not.

My profession is IT, i am on many forums and help out contributing on them and when people ask for random advice. I kind of hoped that someone would offer the same in an area that I am asking for advice in.
You have also been provided with several replies of assistance.

Personally I think you’re way out of your depth IT boy. What area are you in? A “well known member” on here might be able to help you out.

Hiring bad tradesman isn't a reason to do it yourself, it's a reason to hire a good tradesman with good reputation. I've never heard of anyone asking for a deposit btw for a little bathroom reskim job. The materials are probably 60 or 70quid.

You really don't want to tackle that yourself in my opinion, as tiling isn't that easy, and if you give yourself wonky walls to start with it'll be even harder

Hiring bad tradesman isn't a reason to do it yourself, it's a reason to hire a good tradesman with good reputation. I've never heard of anyone asking for a deposit btw for a little bathroom reskim job. The materials are probably 60 or 70quid.

You really don't want to tackle that yourself in my opinion, as tiling isn't that easy, and if you give yourself wonky walls to start with it'll be even harder
For 60cm tiles the walls will have to be good (straight and sound) will be a heavy tile

Your easiest way is to use tile backer board just batten your walls and screw it up, you need a flat, square and preferably level surface for tiles otherwise they will look crap. Never put fairy liquid in sand and cement, if the gear is to coarse as it is use plasticiser or lime

Your easiest way is to use tile backer board just batten your walls and screw it up, you need a flat, square and preferably level surface for tiles otherwise they will look crap. Never put fairy liquid in sand and cement, if the gear is to coarse as it is use plasticiser or lime
We never used Fairy liquid, far to expensive one of the cheaper brands was better but never the lemon variety, Site agents could smell it if they walked in.;)

This isn't realistic in the majority of bathrooms though. They are made the exact length of a bath, 1700mm I think a standard bath is. Reducing the size of the room by 70 odd mill wouldnt be practical

How long has Hardibacker come in 6mm? I was using it this week, supplied by the customer and it’s nice to work with. Easy.

This isn't realistic in the majority of bathrooms though. They are made the exact length of a bath, 1700mm I think a standard bath is. Reducing the size of the room by 70 odd mill wouldnt be practical
Your right but it’s easier fo someone who doesn’t know what they are doing, if they have the space to do it

All of the walls may require different systems if depth is an issue ,, talking external solid walls
@Cockney1 gave you the best answer
Personally I think you’re way out of your depth IT boy. What area are you in? A “well known member” on here might be able to help you out.

There's a reputation to uphold and you'll get a high spec quality job

Hang on , which well known member @Cockney1 , and what are they know for lol

Plasterboard non wet areas
Use tile backer board/ cement board in wet areas.
Tank all wet areas
Tile straight onto boards
Do you have to tank wall if you stick aqua boards on. Don't think water will go through tiles and aqua board!

Do you have to tank wall if you stick aqua boards on. Don't think water will go through tiles and aqua board!
Internal corners, board joints, niches etc. Can get water ingress ....prob excessive mind...deffo would with a shower tray

Yeh i think so too, was hoping to give it a go as have done tiling a few times so that wasnt my concern it was more the straight walls.

Gonna have to wait now until I get some money together as the bathroom fitter looked trustworthy with all the feedback he had on mybuilder and how genuine he looked when he pretended to have a family emergency and desperately needed an advance on the money, stupidly gave him 80% of the money upfront cos he looked so desperate, also knowing we had a person with disability at home and were shielding he seemed so genuine that he wouldnt leave us stuck, still took the money started breaking up the bath and then dissappeared. Before anyone suggests, as have heard this before that maybe i should next time use a 'british builder' .. then this guy was a brit who had great reviews and still took the money and ran off with zero conscience in even returning the money cos he got a huge job elsewhere that was paying him more money for the next 18 months.

Thanks everyone for the replies above, gonna have to save up again and try and figure something out in the meantime or get a local recomendation of someone that actually knows a decent plasterer.

Anyway, wishing you all the best..

Yeh i think so too, was hoping to give it a go as have done tiling a few times so that wasnt my concern it was more the straight walls.

Gonna have to wait now until I get some money together as the bathroom fitter looked trustworthy with all the feedback he had on mybuilder and how genuine he looked when he pretended to have a family emergency and desperately needed an advance on the money, stupidly gave him 80% of the money upfront cos he looked so desperate, also knowing we had a person with disability at home and were shielding he seemed so genuine that he wouldnt leave us stuck, still took the money started breaking up the bath and then dissappeared. Before anyone suggests, as have heard this before that maybe i should next time use a 'british builder' .. then this guy was a brit who had great reviews and still took the money and ran off with zero conscience in even returning the money cos he got a huge job elsewhere that was paying him more money for the next 18 months.

Thanks everyone for the replies above, gonna have to save up again and try and figure something out in the meantime or get a local recomendation of someone that actually knows a decent plasterer.

Anyway, wishing you all the best..
Truly gutted for you that some scummy b*****d has run off with your dough! Maybe invest in a baseball bat and do some debt collecting first.