basically!am i slow tw@t

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey07

been doing just domestic work now for about going 5 years,and ive always been parnoid about my speed and should i be doing more?basically when im on my jack all i can knockout is a bag of multi at a time....ive always been paid for my work which is very clean and im very very tidy but its always played on my mind as to how fast i should be...p.s. ive only done little bits of site work here and there and done ok.....

Your might not be particularly slow dude but knocking up a bag at a time will slow anyone down, you need a bigger bucket, knock two bags up in that and you can lay on reasonable sets then!

Dont get me wrong, I dont, I only work domestic and 95% of the time dont need to knock up more than one bag (plus maybe a quick half) for first coat, the areas are rarely big enough to warrant more!

BUT if you struggle to lay on a bag, as in, you literally dont have time to stop for 5 or 10 minutes once its on then youl do wanna be getting your speed up! ;)

1 bag = 1 wall.Surely if you beenplastering for 5 yeas you can plaster 2 or 3 walls a set ?Also what if you got a 30 m2 lounge/diner ceiling thats nearly 3 bags these are just average hits.

yep no probs knocking out 2 odd walls at a time mate....if its a big ceiling and i need a lift i always get my mate to give us a lift for the day and also he can knock out a few walls for me also.....give him £115 a day hes happy as larry......ive always gone by the rules that i make sure the job is done right however long it takes.....as long as theres no taking the piss out the job that is...
1 bag = 1 wall.Surely if you beenplastering for 5 yeas you can plaster 2 or 3 walls a set ?Also what if you got a 30 m2 lounge/diner ceiling thats nearly 3 bags these are just average hits.

I been working with a guy today we mix 4 bags up in 2 buckets bang them on then 2 bags to top off with we done over 100m2 by lunch time,and quality work.
You just got to push yourself a bit harder mate that all

the main thing that impressed people is the quality. but it always helps to be fast. i did a ceiling overskim today that was like nelly said, about 30m2. did it on my own with a lab mixing up as i was on stilts. ive been lucky enough to get on jobs where you can have a go at banging the metres on but depending on what work you do, you may never get the chance, just concentrate on doing decent work and speed will possibly come. i say possibly as i know older spreads who are s**t hot but slow as anything

A lot of speed is down to prep to dude, you wanna make sure your next mix is ready to go, water in the bucket and bags out the van etc/

yeah good mate, what about you? yeah settling in now. don't fancy coming and doing some painting for me do ya? i actually enjoyed doing the living room but cant be arsed to do the spare room, HSL kitchen and diner. ill buy plenty of tea and bacon batches

the main thing that impressed people is the quality. but it always helps to be fast. i did a ceiling overskim today that was like nelly said, about 30m2. did it on my own with a lab mixing up as i was on stilts. ive been lucky enough to get on jobs where you can have a go at banging the metres on but depending on what work you do, you may never get the chance, just concentrate on doing decent work and speed will possibly come. i say possibly as i know older spreads who are s**t hot but slow as anything

I woudnt consider myself that fast either mate.Ive worked with guys that bang a room on in one go and guys that bang 3 walls on a day.

when we were on a site of 2bed flats i was doing 1 room per set, no ceilings though. purely to practice getting it on as fast/smooth as i can. we were on day rate aswell lol. the bloke feckin loved us!

beddy thats different,if i got someone mixing for me and keeping everything clean i can knock a big load out,90% of the time im just on my jack mate.....

even then mate, i quite easily could have done that ceiling on my own if id had to.

like freerider said get a couple of big gorilla tubs, knock up 2 bags in 1 bucket. chuck them on the spot, keep a spare bucket with water in to wizz the drill so it doesnt set on it. chuck it on the ceiling, get your other clean gorilla tub and knock your second coat up. either wash them out inbetween trowels or leave them till the end and knock them out.

ive worked with matt02 off here quite a bit and thats how he does it day in day out on his own. never has a lab. ive gotta be honest i think taking it out of the bucket is a slow way of working aswell. pour it onto a spot and you can forget about the dirty buckets till afterwards.

i think id struggle to lift a gorilla tub full of two bags AND enough water for two bags, **** me they aint the sturdiest of things! lol can lift two bags fine but dunno about a bucket full of water n all!

i cant lift then on my own you need two people.Also when 2 bags in there nearly overflowing so it needs to lifted level or youl lose half of it down your leg.
If im on my own as i often am i mix up 1.5 bags a time so i can move it around

If im on stilts on my own i can mix 1 bag a time as thats all i can lift onto the high spotboard.If it a big ceiling ill just make 2 or 3 mixes etc.Depends how strong you are though i guess there guys that can easy lift 200 kilos onto a spot and guys that can only lift 40 kilos.

lifting the buckets onto the spotboard with 2 bags isnt really a problem but i find wen its on the high spot the weight of the bucket pulls you forward, best way knock up 2 bags, quickly scoop 20 or so dollops onto the board then pour the rest, this is what i usually do and still have time to clean buckets and whisk and get on my stilts before i actually spread what ive just poured on.
get a bigger bucket and a bigger whisk mate, i think screwfix are doin a berg whisk 140mm for about 2 quid you dnt really need bigger size whisk for domestic

I really don't think mixing two bags up at a time is quicker. I have never mixed up more than a bag at a time as I liked my gear freshly mixed, and although I couldn't do it now (not that I want to) but I could skim 100mtr plus a day when needed.

i agree it may not save much time but its the effort of having to stop halfway through a set, knock up again, then use it, then knock up again for top coat. what im trying to get at is im that motherfu.cking fast i can use a 2 bag mix without it stiffening up. bitches x :RpS_lol:

Ive got a big enough spot to fit two buckets on leave one in the bucket chuck that on then mix up second coat if I can be arsed.............

stopping halfway is bloody anoying, usually i get the first 2 knocked up and on the board then the lab (if i have him) will knock up anouther 2 and that will be the first coat.
its not worth stopping half way and mixing again ya just makeing more work for ya self is in more mixing and cleaning and pouring then you start spreading again, wen you could just knock one big one up and do it once, then second coat. so you only have to mix up twice for a 3 or 4 bag set rather than 3 or 4 times

how can you do 100 meters a day if your only mixing a bag at a time? i usually mix a bag and a half at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.