Basement tanking gone wrong

Adam1976

I've recently tanked my basement. I applied the tanking in numerous coats. After a week or two all of the walls were completely dry. I've then dabbed celotex insulation boards onto the tanked walls with drywall adhesive. I then dabbed plasterboards onto the insulating boards with drywall adhesive. I've put finishing plaster on All of the walls. It's been a couple of weeks and the walls are still not drying. I cut out a square at the bottom of one of the walls to have a look and see what's going on underneath. The drywall adhesive onto the tanking is still soaked. It's so wet that it's like a paste. I figured that the moisture in the drywall adhesive has no where to go as the tanking is impermeable. I'm thinking will it dry eventually given enough time or have I missed something? Any thoughts?

I've recently tanked my basement. I applied the tanking in numerous coats. After a week or two all of the walls were completely dry. I've then dabbed celotex insulation boards onto the tanked walls with drywall adhesive. I then dabbed plasterboards onto the insulating boards with drywall adhesive. I've put finishing plaster on All of the walls. It's been a couple of weeks and the walls are still not drying. I cut out a square at the bottom of one of the walls to have a look and see what's going on underneath. The drywall adhesive onto the tanking is still soaked. It's so wet that it's like a paste. I figured that the moisture in the drywall adhesive has no where to go as the tanking is impermeable. I'm thinking will it dry eventually given enough time or have I missed something? Any thoughts?
This was a terrible idea

ice drop.gif

Youve done so many things wrong I'm afraid. You can't use adhesive on tanked walls. What you wanted to do was buy insulated plasterboard and use plasterboard foam adhesive to stick them to the walls.

Youve done so many things wrong I'm afraid. You can't use adhesive on tanked walls. What you wanted to do was buy insulated plasterboard and use plasterboard foam adhesive to stick them to the walls.
Why does board adhesive not dry onto tanking. I've heard of loads of people dabbing boards straight onto tanking. I believe what yous are saying, I just want to understand what's happening. Is it that the tanking is impermeable and the moisture within the adhesive has no where to go. I.e it can't dry.
Is there any chance it might dry out? Maybe if I use loads of heaters and dehumidifiers. It's quite a large area with loads of corners so to undo it all and start again would take weeks.

Why does board adhesive not dry onto tanking. I've heard of loads of people dabbing boards straight onto tanking. I believe what yous are saying, I just want to understand what's happening. Is it that the tanking is impermeable and the moisture within the adhesive has no where to go. I.e it can't dry.
Is there any chance it might dry out? Maybe if I use loads of heaters and dehumidifiers. It's quite a large area with loads of corners so to undo it all and start again would take weeks.

you can NOT dab any thing that has a foil back, i.e. celotex.

For a start the adhesive is gypsum based and doesn't like getting wet ..which it may do

Foil is not dab able

Plasterboard will not dab to foil insulation

Need I say more..

Sorry but its back to drawing board

What you've done is sandwich wet adhesive between 2 waterproof materials. It was never going to go well

you can NOT dab any thing that has a foil back, i.e. celotex.
Do it all the time , standard practice mate , no problems
There seems to be different opinions on this. I thought it was common practice. I'm aware now that I've made a blunder in putting the boards on to tanking with the adhesive. But now that they're on is there a chance that given enough heat and maybe putting a dehumidifier down there will the adhesive dry out eventually? Before I stuck the boards on the tanking was bone dry for weeks so that definitely worked. The amount of work and cost involved in a complete redo would be considerable so if possible I'm hoping to avoid having to do that.

There seems to be different opinions on this. I thought it was common practice. I'm aware now that I've made a blunder in putting the boards on to tanking with the adhesive. But now that they're on is there a chance that given enough heat and maybe putting a dehumidifier down there will the adhesive dry out eventually? Before I stuck the boards on the tanking was bone dry for weeks so that definitely worked. The amount of work and cost involved in a complete redo would be considerable so if possible I'm hoping to avoid having to do that.
Bof is winding you up...
There is absolutely no hope in it drying out and adhesive doesn't stick to celotex, so even if there was a Christmas miracle and it dried it would all fall off anyway

Mechanical fixing and sealing with theproper silicone for same might solve the dilemma ?

Mechanical fixing and sealing with theproper silicone for same might solve the dilemma ?
Mechanical fixings through tanking slurry?
Can't see how you could could seal that back up with silicone through at least 50mm dab, celotex and pb

Sorry mate , I was winding Robbo up for his Xmas pressy lol
You should have used foam adhesive

Mechanical fixings through tanking slurry?
Can't see how you could could seal that back up with silicone through at least 50mm dab, celotex and pb
The boards will definitely stay on the walls. When I dabbed the celotex onto the tanking I also used a few membrane plugs to hold them on just in case. Plus it's all beaded and plastered now. The real issue is will the board adhesive eventually dry out. If the adhesive is somehow drawing moisture through the tanking then I'm going to have to take it all off and start again. I can't see how that would happen tho, as I said earlier I gave the tanking a few weeks to dry and it was bone dry to the touch. So if there's a chance that the board adhesive might dry out given enough time then I'll leave it and class this as hard lesson learned. I definitely won't be repeating the same mistakes again.

The boards will definitely stay on the walls. When I dabbed the celotex onto the tanking I also used a few membrane plugs to hold them on just in case. Plus it's all beaded and plastered now. The real issue is will the board adhesive eventually dry out. If the adhesive is somehow drawing moisture through the tanking then I'm going to have to take it all off and start again. I can't see how that would happen tho, as I said earlier I gave the tanking a few weeks to dry and it was bone dry to the touch. So if there's a chance that the board adhesive might dry out given enough time then I'll leave it and class this as hard lesson learned. I definitely won't be repeating the same mistakes again.
"The boards will definitely stay on the walls" you've stuck the plasterboard to celotex, the adhesive won't stick to celotex so you're plasterboards are just hanging there and could quite easily fall off lol. It being beaded and plastered doesnt mean it won't

"The boards will definitely stay on the walls" you've stuck the plasterboard to celotex, the adhesive won't stick to celotex so you're plasterboards are just hanging there and could quite easily fall off lol. It being beaded and plastered doesnt mean it won't
I did use membrane plugs as well as adhesive to hold the boards on the wall. I figured I'd double up to be safe. Plus before I mixed the board adhesive I coated the celotex panels with a light coat of sbr/pva mix and stood them for a while till the surface went tacky and sticky. By doing this They seemed to stick to the walls ok at the time. Then before I started dabbing the plasterboards on to the insulation boards I went round and checked them all to see if they'd bonded. They had stuck to the walls. So I figured it was then ok to dab the plasterboards on. I think there is a chance the walls will stay on. The biggest problem is will they dry. If there is no moisture passing from the tanking into the adhesive then surely in time that moisture in the adhesive mix should evaporate eventually?

So it's looking like it's not going to dry out. The moisture behind the boards is pooling at the bottom of the walls. I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and take them off and start again. The tanking is already on and seems to be working. I've been advised to coat it with renderlite then frame it and insulate. Any thoughts? I want to make sure it's right this time.

Attachments

• IMG_20191229_121822.jpg
    IMG_20191229_121822.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 261
So it's looking like it's not going to dry out. The moisture behind the boards is pooling at the bottom of the walls. I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and take them off and start again. The tanking is already on and seems to be working. I've been advised to coat it with renderlite then frame it and insulate. Any thoughts? I want to make sure it's right this time.
Foam adhesive

Is this a job you have charged for? Is it ur home? Loads of tools there in pic..I'm intrigued..are u fully trained or course trained? Tell me more

What a surprise...