Basecoat Render

Members online

av81

Hi

I am currently having the front of my house render in a silicone render. The base coat and primer have been applied and i am awaiting the top coat to be applied.

However when i turn on the soffit lights i can see rough areas around the bottom window which when i highlighted to the guys rendering the property they said that it was just trowel marks and would not be visible when the final coat is applied.

Is he correct when he says the final coat could would remove any inperfections or in order to get a good final result the base coat must be smooth? and it wont matter how good the final coat is.

Any guidance would be appreciated as i would rather know what the score is in terms of finishes at this stage as apposed to when the final coat has been applied and i am stuck with the finish.

Thanks in advance

AV,

Thanks for your reply John, please see attached image.

Attachments

• Render 1.jpg
    Render 1.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 331
  • Render 2.jpg
    Render 2.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 323
  • Render 3.jpg
    Render 3.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 325
This is really disappointing as I waited 5 months specifically for them as they had excellent reviews and came highly recommended.
What do you suggest as a way forward in getting this resolved when I speak to them?

Feel gutted now, as I thought it was just me being paranoid.

Those lights even brighter than the old wobble light
Well he did suggest that the lights were the issue and change to daylight instead of warm lights

The area below the lights doesn’t look too bad it’s the area under the lower window.

Last edited:
Whatever they might be there f****** brave doing the job with integrated soffit lights, f**k that!!
House looks like a UFO.

This is really disappointing as I waited 5 months specifically for them as they had excellent reviews and came highly recommended.
What do you suggest as a way forward in getting this resolved when I speak to them?

Feel gutted now, as I thought it was just me being paranoid.
I suggest having the guts to highlight your issues to them yourself.

I suggest having the guts to highlight your issues to them yourself.
It isn’t about having guts. It is knowing where I stand from a technical point of view.

I have spoken to him and he is adamant that because I have warm colour lighting hence why I am getting the issues I have. If it is a case of the lighting being the issue then I am more than happy to change the lights to a cool white colour and even reduce the number of lights. He stated any renderer would have the same issues with those lights.
However if it is just a case of a s*** application of a base coat then I would rather just stop the job and get someone in who can do a decent job.

Hi

I am currently having the front of my house render in a silicone render. The base coat and primer have been applied and i am awaiting the top coat to be applied.

However when i turn on the soffit lights i can see rough areas around the bottom window which when i highlighted to the guys rendering the property they said that it was just trowel marks and would not be visible when the final coat is applied.

Is he correct when he says the final coat could would remove any inperfections or in order to get a good final result the base coat must be smooth? and it wont matter how good the final coat is.

Any guidance would be appreciated as i would rather know what the score is in terms of finishes at this stage as apposed to when the final coat has been applied and i am stuck with the finish.

Thanks in advance

AV,
Shining light down walls will show every minor imperfection up and make it look bad
What does it look like through the day the sun also does this when it hits the wall at a certain angle
You could get the best most experienced renderer in the world and shine light down his work and it would look completely different

If you asked Brad Pitt to shine a torch up his face, he would look like Herman Munster. No different with Render. Those soffit lights are a stupid idea.
Unfortunately we had those lights done before we ever considered having the house rendered. The electrician went overboard with the number of lights and we made the mistake of getting warm lights

Ah , an electrician who's got plenty of experience with downlighting render , your on the right path :LOL:

Looking at their face book page previous work looks good. I think it will be fine and as said already those lights spell doom visually

Thanks for all the feedback. We will change the lights and reduce the number and see how we get on.
All the best.

You must have missed the part where I said the lights were done before we ever considered getting it rendered
When you had the lights fitted is irrelevant. Render should only be judged under normal daylight, not artificial light.
If you want to search out the B.S. or NHBC guidelines for rendering this is made clear.

When you had the lights fitted is irrelevant. Render should only be judged under normal daylight, not artificial light.
If you want to search out the B.S. or NHBC guidelines for rendering this is made clear.
Thanks for clarifying and feedback . It is in line with what he has told me so hopefully reducing the lights and change of brightness will help
I wish I had known when we had the lights fitted but that’s my fault.

All the best

Unfortunately we had those lights done before we ever considered having the house rendered. The electrician went overboard with the number of lights and we made the mistake of getting warm lights
I don't think warm or cool will make a difference. I thought cool would be worse

Thanks for clarifying and feedback . It is in line with what he has told me so hopefully reducing the lights and change of brightness will help
I wish I had known when we had the lights fitted but that’s my fault.

All the best
Those lights would make face brickwork look terrible, seen it loads of times.
All that said (including my previous posts) that doesn't mean that the rendering isn't substandard, just that it's impossible to tell from your photos.