Badly rendered wall - any rememdy?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

joleb

We have a beautiful art deco property. We had to get the EPS coating sandblasted off as it was trapping the damp so we have had new rendering done. Now that the paint has gone on and the scaffold is down, it is clear that is not a good job - lumps, grooves etc. (This was someone we have dealt with before and our painter also recommended him) I am very loathe to resort to textured paint - these buildings are all about being crisp, having clean lines.

Getting it all removed and starting again is not an option. Grasping at straws now - is there anything we can do?

Thank you in advance.

Jersey. I could get some pictures tomorrow, the afternoon sun comes across it and shows the problem best. Just wondered if there was a fix or if we'll have to go a paint based route.

Ah as, I think it was Danny mac once quoted " looks like the Irish sea on a windy day" when the sun hits it, don't think paint will help mate, but get some pics up and I dare say you'll get some top advice and opinion on here.:RpS_thumbup:

Yeah,
pictures would be good, but it will be just p**s poor execution of the job; not applying it properly; not ruling it properly; not rubbing it up properly.
Possibly rubbed up with a sponge; not a float then sponged very very very lightly.
I see it all the time and I agree it looks like a total D.I.Y abortion job.

I would get the guy back and ask as to why it "looks like the Irish sea on a windy day"????
I think he has no ability, pride in his work or took you for a mug.

Make sure you get answers, all of us on here have pride in our work and want the best for our clients.

Main thing to remember is that it SHOULD BE BLOODY FLAT.
DONT get looking for something to cure the disease, start with a vaccination before it begins.

Good Luck mate, sounds like a nice property.

Rock on !

DSC01063.jpg DSC01054.jpg DSC01057.jpg

Haha sunniest place in the British Isles and I've had to wait for today for sun! Hope it shows up the bumps in the photos ok. So gutted and even though the plasterer has not been paid in full, I know this will cost us to fix it. Thanks for all your comments, any suggestions gratefully received. Shooting him is not a viable option.

joleb,

Fook me!!

That second picture sure does show the workmanship or lack of it too a tee. I would hate to see it as the sun moves round the building at a more obtuse angle.

Looks to me as if it hasn't even been ruled properly, let alone rubbed up properly.
Mate it is bad and I am sure others on here will agree.

I would be ashamed to leave a job like that.
Your property needs to have a beautiful flat rendered surface to do it justice.
Deco properties are supposed to have the elegance of simplistic flat areas and curves.

Get him back.

Rock on !

now you know that isnt true:RpS_thumbup:
im only allowed to clean the skirting boards:RpS_biggrin:

If ya not prepared to hack it off and start again then your options are limited, but a thin coat acrylic would be better then sandtex paint. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Doesn't look like he's used a straight edge on it, but any bloke that takes a job on like that you would think he would have, nice looking property by the way. Think your going to have to put up with it or like the lads say scaffold it all out again and acrylic to soften the blow. Good luck, we live and learn.

when the sun shines down render it always looks sh1t. but that render on your house is taken the piss

View attachment 1206View attachment 1207View attachment 1208Haha sunniest place in the British Isles and I've had to wait for today for sun! Hope it shows up the bumps in the photos ok. So gutted and even though the plasterer has not been paid in full, I know this will cost us to fix it. Thanks for all your comments, any suggestions gratefully received. Shooting him is not a viable option.
Oh sorry to see that mate it looks a lovely property, but your plasterer failed to deliver the goods in regard to the finish, I think you may already have guessed yourself there is no quick or cheap fix.I wouldn't get him to try again, he obviously ain't up to the task, but what is he sayin about it? Have you had him back for a look? At least you ain't paid him in full. As for shooting him ain't an option? There was a punishment that was popular on the forum for a while, might not be you're kinda thing tho, "s**t on his doorstep"!!!!!:RpS_scared::RpS_lol::RpS_thumbsup:

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your comments. Plasterer comes on Monday. There's not a lot he can say - it speaks for itself. And no, wouldn't use him again. Unfortunately everything is expensive over here, the scaffold, which was put up for a new roof as well as the sandblasting/rendering/painting cost £1400 although I appreciate we wouldn't need it as high. We also have to pay for the painting that's been done - I have stopped them, but I still reckon it'll be at least a couple of thou. Plus whatever it will cost to redo and then paint again. We've got all the inside to do too. I think I'll stop there before my cheque book goes up in a puff of smoke :RpS_scared:. Curtains - can't afford them!

when the sun shines down render it always looks sh1t. but that render on your house is taken the piss

Not when Ive had a go at at sunshine, FLAT FLAT FLAT.thankyou:RpS_biggrin:
It looks sh*t because it hasn't had time spent on it, pride and all that you see.

has the rain eased off yet Clemo?

Rock on !

how many quotes did you get and references and who's was the cheapest quote, not trying to pick holes in your story , just trying to get a clear picture of what transpired, it is s**t by the way

Not when Ive had a go at at sunshine, FLAT FLAT FLAT.thankyou:RpS_biggrin:
It looks sh*t because it hasn't had time spent on it, pride and all that you see.

has the rain eased off yet Clemo?

Rock on !

just a bit bb.

u most be a rockstar at rendering. if the sunshine does not effect the look when it shine down the wall.

the only plasterer in the world that can do that.

​ROCK ON

Clemo,

good news on the weather then, looks getting better too.
Nice "sunshine"use:RpS_thumbup: by the way.

I am not saying it would be perfect due to the substrate take up and the inconsistencies in the render itself but it would be very very flat with no waves or hollows with just a little very very very light sponge topper. So it wouldnt look s**t as Iam sure yours dosnt with all your experience.
Had plenty of time to perfect the craft on huge deco paneled buildings in Flensburg and Schleswig.

Did I mention we got snowed off on several occasions, the snow flakes were like A4 pieces of paper ! I kid you not.

Rock(star) on!

Currier if you would mono that house then you're way off. It would ruin it. Its been designed to be smooth simple and clean lines.

well said bubblebobble!! there's some memorable quotes coming from this forum! "looks like the irish sea on a windy day"
and "Main thing to remember is that it SHOULD BE BLOODY FLAT." haha , looks nice sponging it up but if you don't flatten it with a float your fooked!

Status
Not open for further replies.