Bad plastering

Members online

Neily2020

Hi all,

I had my living room replastered. I live in a council house and it was done by a council employed plasterer.

He has made it an absolute mess. It looks ok in direct light, but an absolute mess when light shines on it from the side. It also feels all lumpy and bumpy.

I did complain about parts of it, he came back to “fix” it, but he didn’t seem to really care.

My question is - is this fixable? Can it be sanded to look better? Or will I need to give up and get a textured paper put up?

Thanks in advance.
DF77E054-5E60-4456-AA6F-B0D160CEC440.jpeg
1AC35C3E-6888-4574-B074-2A1F02241D71.jpeg A719F440-E961-49C4-8589-9A1F6F364D79.jpeg 3B391A3C-F40E-4534-AF3F-CBA01222B9F0.jpeg 0F7977C7-06D7-40C0-8B58-917CDD82EA5F.jpeg DF77E054-5E60-4456-AA6F-B0D160CEC440.jpeg

Hi all,

I had my living room replastered. I live in a council house and it was done by a council employed plasterer.

He has made it an absolute mess. It looks ok in direct light, but an absolute mess when light shines on it from the side. It also feels all lumpy and bumpy.

I did complain about parts of it, he came back to “fix” it, but he didn’t seem to really care.

My question is - is this fixable? Can it be sanded to look better? Or will I need to give up and get a textured paper put up?

Thanks in advance. View attachment 55131View attachment 55127View attachment 55128View attachment 55129View attachment 55130View attachment 55131
Unfortunately for you, you have been what’s known in the trade as “caspered”.
There is absolutely zero hope of rescuing it from the depths of despair! :(

Hi all,

Thanks in advance. View attachment 55131View attachment 55127View attachment 55128View attachment 55129View attachment 55130View attachment 55131
So you got it done for free on a council rented property and jumped on a plastering forum to complain!sums up this country tbh!

Hi all,

Do you pay rent?

Agreed most lads who work for council are not plasterers. They are multi skilled and as such plastering may not be their main/1st trade.

The jobs I’m on the painters use head torches and led site lights to show up the marks. I can’t stick painters lol

I

have no idea what you mean by caspered? But I’m guessing my only option is to put a textured paper on it?
In the plastering trade “caspered” is known to be the most shocking finish of any plasterwork that could possibly be imagined.
A heavy textured paper would be your best bet to combat this! (y)

So you got it done for free on a council rented property and jumped on a plastering forum to complain!sums up this country tbh!
It's not free, you pay rent and the deal is the landlord fixes the big stuff.
You're not actually normally allowed to do it yourself. Same as any plumbing or electrics changes.

Unfortunately for you, you have been what’s known in the trade as “caspered”.
There is absolutely zero hope of rescuing it from the depths of despair! :(
Yep.

He's been Caspered.

At least it was the council that paid

OP

He's everywhere, the robbing c**t and he goes home and stuffs his face with m&s stir fry and pinot grigio and laughs at you

Sad but true.

Screenshot_20201029-101704.png

In the plastering trade “caspered” is known to be the most shocking finish of any plasterwork that could possibly be imagined.
A heavy textured paper would be your best bet to combat this! (y)

I agree it’s bad. But looking through this forum and other sites I have seen ones that are even more shocking.

The funny thing is the walls were flatter before he plastered them. The council suggested plastering it. I truly wish now I didn’t agree.

The walls weren’t even that lumpy or badly scratched/dented before. Well maybe one wall was.

Looks like I’m going to have to pay a decorator to hang blown vinyl .

Thanks for your non cocky, judgmental reply.

You're not actually normally allowed to do it yourself. Same as any plumbing or electrics changes.

Exactly! And even if it is the council, there is no excuse for terrible workmanship!

The guy who done it said he does private work on the side too.

God knows what that looks like.

Bob on mate
I had similar today skimmed a whole room out then they came in and said are you not doing underneath the radiator I thought f**k me it’s took 20 years to hear such great things

Bob on mate
I had similar today skimmed a whole room out then they came in and said are you not doing underneath the radiator I thought f**k me it’s took 20 years to hear such great things

The council still pay them. So no excuse for doing a crappy job. If it’s that bad pay and you’re that great a plasterer then go it alone or work for a company that pays more.

No excuse for a s**t job. Council or not!

Big stuff?plumbing,heating electrics?keeping the pad water tight!thats big stuff no poxy flat walls!

Big stuff?plumbing,heating electrics?keeping the pad water tight!thats big stuff no poxy flat walls!
Plasterwork is their problem. Especially plasterwork that’s falling apart.
You act like it’s because it’s a council house it shouldn’t matter.
Being a council house doesn’t mean you should put up with bad workmanship. You’re making excuses for s**t workmanship.

No one has any pride in the work they do these days. It’s all about money money money.
I could not do a job like that if I was in a trade. Be it a council house or private job! I take too much pride in what I do.

I agree it’s bad. But looking through this forum and other sites I have seen ones that are even more shocking.

The funny thing is the walls were flatter before he plastered them. The council suggested plastering it. I truly wish now I didn’t agree.

The walls weren’t even that lumpy or badly scratched/dented before. Well maybe one wall was.

Looks like I’m going to have to pay a decorator to hang blown vinyl .

Thanks for your non cocky, judgmental reply.
That's the full horror of a visit from Casper, I'm afraid.

Have they offered you counseling?

they should! But no they haven’t.

They should pay for a decorator to put the vinyl up though. Since it’s their useless “plasterer” that made the mess.