Bad plastering and plasterer refusing to fix it or even come look

HouseLibrarian

Hello,
I’m having a big problem with my plastering. We needed the whole kitchen replastered but no recommended plasterers we’re getting back to us (we tried around 5 or 6). After 6 months with no kitchen (this time was spent sorting other bits out too, not just waiting for a plasterer) at all we were getting desperate and found an advert in our local newspaper. We’re new homeowners and have never had to deal with this kind of thing before, so we’ve definitely learnt from that mistake now.
However, just because he wasn’t recommended I don’t think that makes he standard of work acceptable.
we have holes and gaps around doors, sockets, and pipes (with bits not even attempted between pipes), holes, scratches, dents, and overall just a huge mess.
I’ve talked to him on the phone, but he just got very angry and refused to accept that his work isn’t okay. We had a family member who is a retired plasterer come take a look before we called him, just to make sure we were right and had some knowledge to back up what we were going to say to him. Because we had someone else look he’s refusing to come back and fix it. He won’t accept that he’s done bad work and won’t let me send him photos.
I’ve said I’d be happy with knocking £100 off the bill as we have so much to fix, but he will only take £60 off which I don’t feel is acceptable. (I feel like £100 is probably overly fair tbh)
He’s now threatening to take me to small claims court as “he knows he’ll win”, but I feel like if it did go that far we have a pretty good case against him. Am I right to be annoyed about this work? And do you think he’s just bullying and threatening me thinking I’ll give in? I’m only a 5 foot nothing female librarian who hid away most of the time he was here, so I’m sure he thinks he can intimidate me.
Any thoughts, opinions, and advice would be gladly received. Thank you!

Attachments

• DC62152C-2E18-4C07-A11B-08501E078F13.jpeg
    DC62152C-2E18-4C07-A11B-08501E078F13.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 789
  • E98BAF07-894F-42A8-B36D-654FB210C2B4.jpeg
    E98BAF07-894F-42A8-B36D-654FB210C2B4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 775
  • F693282B-438D-4BD6-8E05-A0758AA61219.jpeg
    F693282B-438D-4BD6-8E05-A0758AA61219.jpeg
    763.3 KB · Views: 1,048
  • 52348CF7-1A4B-4740-88D9-2A8F44A1509A.jpeg
    52348CF7-1A4B-4740-88D9-2A8F44A1509A.jpeg
    594.3 KB · Views: 725
  • B3BEBFBD-5DE1-4309-B597-0D0709C8D2F3.jpeg
    B3BEBFBD-5DE1-4309-B597-0D0709C8D2F3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 683
  • 3317AEF4-F627-45C2-85A7-718B22538305.jpeg
    3317AEF4-F627-45C2-85A7-718B22538305.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 739
  • 1B279277-2155-46ED-B8C1-39A70DD69ABE.jpeg
    1B279277-2155-46ED-B8C1-39A70DD69ABE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 692
  • 036CAF3A-A476-49A5-A3C1-6BC1612B34E4.jpeg
    036CAF3A-A476-49A5-A3C1-6BC1612B34E4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 670
  • 2BD938D3-ECF2-43F5-9A30-4B32426C76DC.jpeg
    2BD938D3-ECF2-43F5-9A30-4B32426C76DC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 668
  • 1B2D9A0F-5854-43B5-ABE0-B5AD0CE0AC99.jpeg
    1B2D9A0F-5854-43B5-ABE0-B5AD0CE0AC99.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 786
Some more photos

Attachments

• 853D5221-52EC-4D16-83F6-251A5B46D184.jpeg
    853D5221-52EC-4D16-83F6-251A5B46D184.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 453
  • 6E93C59B-C7CC-4039-9EB7-E768896A03A9.jpeg
    6E93C59B-C7CC-4039-9EB7-E768896A03A9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 441
  • 9DE800E8-E2ED-4069-8A49-E5F9D4632621.jpeg
    9DE800E8-E2ED-4069-8A49-E5F9D4632621.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 410
  • 1477A0ED-5012-4656-AD08-8F38AE927599.jpeg
    1477A0ED-5012-4656-AD08-8F38AE927599.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 417
  • C878A27C-844C-4995-8C65-9758028E0E55.jpeg
    C878A27C-844C-4995-8C65-9758028E0E55.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 416
  • A3891A81-5BE8-40B3-B550-AAC5FC924F74.jpeg
    A3891A81-5BE8-40B3-B550-AAC5FC924F74.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 439
  • 9D80E5F4-2A72-48E0-BA62-8C5E43E7AC2F.jpeg
    9D80E5F4-2A72-48E0-BA62-8C5E43E7AC2F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 764
  • A9553955-1B53-4428-845E-9EDE9575B498.jpeg
    A9553955-1B53-4428-845E-9EDE9575B498.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 481
  • D131375F-4B7F-410E-B5B7-EC5E21408D03.jpeg
    D131375F-4B7F-410E-B5B7-EC5E21408D03.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 418
  • 83B9352E-2ACD-498E-9E23-D8FA2AF46341.jpeg
    83B9352E-2ACD-498E-9E23-D8FA2AF46341.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 430
Oh dear...it is poor to say the least.
Hes not loosened the sockets off to get a nice finish and looks like brush marks all over,holes,trowel Mark's.....
Apart from that its fine:eek:

Oh dear...it is poor to say the least.
Hes not loosened the sockets off to get a nice finish and looks like brush marks all over,holes,trowel Mark's.....
Apart from that its fine:eek:
I’ve posted a few more photos where it looks even worse! but they’re still waiting moderator approval.
This surely isn’t a standard I should just accept?

Hello,
I’m having a big problem with my plastering. We needed the whole kitchen replastered but no recommended plasterers we’re getting back to us (we tried around 5 or 6). After 6 months with no kitchen (this time was spent sorting other bits out too, not just waiting for a plasterer) at all we were getting desperate and found an advert in our local newspaper. We’re new homeowners and have never had to deal with this kind of thing before, so we’ve definitely learnt from that mistake now.
However, just because he wasn’t recommended I don’t think that makes he standard of work acceptable.
we have holes and gaps around doors, sockets, and pipes (with bits not even attempted between pipes), holes, scratches, dents, and overall just a huge mess.
I’ve talked to him on the phone, but he just got very angry and refused to accept that his work isn’t okay. We had a family member who is a retired plasterer come take a look before we called him, just to make sure we were right and had some knowledge to back up what we were going to say to him. Because we had someone else look he’s refusing to come back and fix it. He won’t accept that he’s done bad work and won’t let me send him photos.
I’ve said I’d be happy with knocking £100 off the bill as we have so much to fix, but he will only take £60 off which I don’t feel is acceptable. (I feel like £100 is probably overly fair tbh)
He’s now threatening to take me to small claims court as “he knows he’ll win”, but I feel like if it did go that far we have a pretty good case against him. Am I right to be annoyed about this work? And do you think he’s just bullying and threatening me thinking I’ll give in? I’m only a 5 foot nothing female librarian who hid away most of the time he was here, so I’m sure he thinks he can intimidate me.

Have you paid him?

Usually, people are on here after they've paid.

If you haven't then tell him he's a vandal, not a plasterer and never mind getting paid, he's lucky you don't call the police.

Rough as toast
It’s becoming quite common on here now with shite work are all the decent spreads busy? Or is it peoples standards just aren’t there anymore anyway just tell the cowboy you aren’t paying for such crap work and as said above see him in court

That’s for confirming my own thoughts. I haven’t paid him a penny yet and just got back from citizens advice where they confirmed not to pay.
I have to give him another chance (in writing) to put it right, which I’m not comfortable with tbh, but as long as I have people with me I guess I have to.

It’s becoming quite common on here now with shite work are all the decent spreads busy? Or is it peoples standards just aren’t there anymore anyway just tell the cowboy you aren’t paying for such crap work and as said above see him in court
I think it’s people going for cheapest quote personally, there is a lot of shite out there passing itself off as plasterers, not saying that’s the case with this one just in general

I think it’s people going for cheapest quote personally, there is a lot of shite out there passing itself off as plasterers, not saying that’s the case with this one just in general
She clearly said that she tried recommend people who didn't come out so against her better judgement, she went with someone out the paper.

Hello,

just out of interest why was boiler fitted and 2nd fixed before plastering ??

f**k off with this bullshit I can’t take anymore.

5 or 6? Was it 5 , or 6? 6 plasterers not wanting to do it means 1 of 2 things. You’re on ‘a budget’ ugh. Or you didn’t really contact that many.

You’ve gone cheap. You’re on a budget. Who else lives without a kitchen for 6 f**k**g months. Minging. You’ve got a cheapy in and now you’re not happy as you’ve got exactly what you’ve paid for. The fact you only wanted £100 back confirms this is a cheap job.

I see that style plastering all the time. That’s dave from the pub. That’s micks mate joe who learned a bit in hmp parc. That’s a kitchen fitter who’s gone quiet. That’s a ‘builder’ . That isn’t a plasterer.

It really isn’t that hard to find a decent plasterer. Yes you’ll have to wait for him so use come common sense and book him in for x weeks away so you can get the kitchen out just before. Or whatever you’re doing.

Pay the price. Stop scrimping through life. Plastering is the one thing you should never be a pikey about. It’s always on show. Everyone sees it.

A decent spread wants, or should want (some lads on here still don’t understand this) decent money. He/she will loosen all sockets off. Skim them all flush. Leave a perfect finish.

The difference between a ‘plasterer’ and plasterer is night and day.

How’s that @Danny

5 or 6? Was it 5 , or 6? 6 plasterers not wanting to do it means 1 of 2 things. You’re on ‘a budget’ ugh. Or you didn’t really contact that many.

You’ve gone cheap. You’re on a budget. Who else lives without a kitchen for 6 f**k**g months. Minging. You’ve got a cheapy in and now you’re not happy as you’ve got exactly what you’ve paid for. The fact you only wanted £100 back confirms this is a cheap job.

I see that style plastering all the time. That’s dave from the pub. That’s micks mate joe who learned a bit in hmp parc. That’s a kitchen fitter who’s gone quiet. That’s a ‘builder’ . That isn’t a plasterer.

It really isn’t that hard to find a decent plasterer. Yes you’ll have to wait for him so use come common sense and book him in for x weeks away so you can get the kitchen out just before. Or whatever you’re doing.

Pay the price. Stop scrimping through life. Plastering is the one thing you should never be a pikey about. It’s always on show. Everyone sees it.

A decent spread wants, or should want (some lads on here still don’t understand this) decent money. He/she will loosen all sockets off. Skim them all flush. Leave a perfect finish.

How’s that @Danny
Very feisty young man. Do you really see it all the time? I only see it that bad on here, not seen it like that in real time

How’s that @Danny
shutterstock_390021124-1-390x285.jpg

Not saying it’s true just what she said Mister feisty

Not all the time but a fair bit. And alot here. People go cheap then try lie about it saying they tried 6 proper spreads first.

Everything about this shows they went cheap now want sympathy for a shite finish. Or to give proper spreads a bad rep because they used a cheapy? Does my head in

Not all the time but a fair bit. And alot here. People go cheap then try lie about it saying they tried 6 proper spreads first.

Everything about this shows they went cheap now want sympathy for a shite finish. Or to give proper spreads a bad rep because they used a cheapy? Does my head in
Get on with your work.

I know what you mean it does my head too, when you price a job and they say “well my mate only wants fifty pence to do it” I pretty much just walk away it’s not worth my time. Strange how people will pay more for wallpaper and paint for a room which they change a year or two later but expect the plastering to last forever but won’t pay for it.

I can’t remember if it was 5 or 6, sorry.
they never even called us back, let alone came and looked to give us a quote so we definitely didn’t go for the cheapest quote.
We’ve lived 6 months with just a worktop toaster oven, microwave, kettle and coffee machine on a kitchen table. And a sink. Sorry if this offends you but you do what you have to do sometimes as we needed the heating and electrics done first. I said we weren’t looking for a plasterer this whole time.
I asked for £100 off originally as I hate confrontation and just wanted an easy life and not to see him again. But after how he spoke to me and getting legal advice I see that this is not acceptable.

How’s that @Danny

Took 6 months to get someone who would do it for pennies.
Loved the Danny bit lol
I, agree with the cheap route , 5 or six spreads wasting an hour or two , that only ups the price for everyone
People think I'm joking when I say I refuse to quote on domestic , a quote would 50℅ higher than expected bill , to me it shows a few things
They don't know my standards having not seen my work
They are after the cheapest they can get
They have no respect for someone who isn't prepared to take shortcuts
I'm pleased to help diy and YouTube " experts " they can have all those " special " customers to themselves

It's a special talent that can get plaster in a state like that, the bad news for the op is no plasterer worth their salt is going to fix that.