backyard

Soulman

hi,
I have just had our backyard layered with a 40mm screed, this was mixed with cement and sand, and a cement tone in yellow added to the mix, it was laid in two different stages, as our property is an awkward access, one half was done on the Thursday, with the second half on the Friday due to no where to move the mixer,- it was on the two hottest days last week..
- we complained that we had excess sand coming off it a week later, so they came and sealed it with some sealant, ( I don't know the name)- now, after the sealant has been laid, we have noticed that we are getting cracks all over it..
can anyone tell me what to say to them as they are coming back tomorrow to have a look, the reply we had when we called them :as it is only a thin layer it is prone to cracking, - what we were expecting was a complete new floor without cracks as the original was a old cement stone which had cracked up over the years. Help please..

Attachments

• IMG_20180712_231229.jpg
    IMG_20180712_231229.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 448
  • IMG_20180712_231247.jpg
    IMG_20180712_231247.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 431
  • IMG_20180712_231314.jpg
    IMG_20180712_231314.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 435
Perhaps dried out too quickly and possibly the mix wasn't right hard to tell without being there and then

i don't understand this . why would you screed your backyard in sand and cement ? i would have laid a concrete slab.
4 and 1 is a weak mix for screed, 3 and 1 for screed. to cure a sand and cement screed it should be flooded and covered with poly for at least a week .

Hi Malc,

the reason we had to have this done this way was because we live on a hill, and the step to the back door is only 50mm high so, the builder suggested that he couldn't put a full concrete slab down as it would be higher than the doorstep and when it rained it would flow into the kitchen. this is why it is slightly sloped to allow for the drainage.I am not a builder, and have to go with what we are told unfortunately,

I didn't realize this is an outside jobby, should've gone with concrete, even if it means you have to excavate the area to gain more depth for the concrete

Should have gone with Grano, your man is right about needing a fall. Was it sharp sand and cement with SBR in it? Ronafix guarantee a screed down to half an inch but it costs a lot, how much did they charge if you don’t mind me asking?

Should have gone with Grano, your man is right about needing a fall. Was it sharp sand and cement with SBR in it? Ronafix guarantee a screed down to half an inch but it costs a lot, how much did they charge if you don’t mind me asking?
Isn't Ronofix just SBR?

It is of sorts but it’s more of an adhesive as well and it’s a fair bit better than the tubs you get for 50 pence for a 45 gallon drum but then it should be for nearly fifty quid for five litres

Grano screeds have not been laid for about 30 years, since they found out that grano dust was cancer genic.

Get out of here, grano is used in hard traffic areas like corridors etc in shopping centres and the llike. What do you use in your grano? Ours was granite clippings

Get out of here, grano is used in hard traffic areas like corridors etc in shopping centres and the llike. What do you use in your grano? Ours was granite clippings

not grano. usually heavy duty k screed in hard traffic areas.

years ago when grano was acceptable. you needed the grano dust in the mix to give you the fat to trowel up. on low quality specs you would allow to mix a small amount of sharp sand.

not grano. usually heavy duty k screed in hard traffic areas.

years ago when grano was acceptable. you needed the grano dust in the mix to give you the fat to trowel up. on low quality specs you would allow to mix a small amount of sharp sand.
That’s strange how it was in the spec for London University in 2014 then

You're not going crazy Mouldy, well maybe a bit, but grano is still used in floors and is readily available.
I thought it was, I haven’t used it since the late nineties but have seen it around, even in B and Qs. He had me doubting myself I can tell you but that doesn’t take much

Appreciate all replies thank you,the cost was 425.00 although not paid yet, we have decided to have it taken out as they have now admitted it was an error, they hadn't sealed it and it is 100 times worse now and they are a reputed company , we are in Jersey so as much as we would like to get one of you guys in, we can't as of the distance. So we are looking t other locals who can do the job as expected..