Back to basics.hope (I explain this righ)

Members online

John j

Mono Don
Been on a mission lately . When i first started I used to 1st coat flatten 2nd coat flatten polish then cross trowel . Now I seem to polish 2 or 3 times . So I thought this cant be right and adjusted things a little and seemed to have cracked it . Main things were put it on thinner and let it pull in more . I have become impatient last few years which only seems to cost me time. One thing I blame as well are these plastic and flexi trowel which can make a poor wall look good imo if used at wrong time. So did some work other day and went back to basic . Looked 100 percent ...............But just couldn' resist giving it a rub with medi. So do you think these new trowels have changed how we plaster for better or worse

Been on a mission lately . When i first started I used to 1st coat flatten 2nd coat flatten polish then cross trowel . Now I seem to polish 2 or 3 times . So I thought this cant be right and adjusted things a little and seemed to have cracked it . Main things were put it on thinner and let it pull in more . I have become impatient last few years which only seems to cost me time. One thing I blame as well are these plastic and flexi trowel which can make a poor wall look good imo if used at wrong time. So did some work other day and went back to basic . Looked 100 percent ...............But just couldn' resist giving it a rub with medi. So do you think these new trowels have changed how we plaster for better or worse
We've had and used both plastic and flexi trowels over the last seven years but have now sacked them off for normal work.

We've had and used both plastic and flexi trowels over the last seven years but have now sacked them off for normal work.
Ha normal work ..... what' ye reason for sacking em . The plastic just chipped way to much for me and I only used to use em at very end anyway cause customers just love that shine

Ha normal work ..... what' ye reason for sacking em . The plastic just chipped way to much for me and I only used to use em at very end anyway cause customers just love that shine
We used the Thistle Spray Finish when it first came out and found that plastic was the only thing that didn't tear it as it started to go off.
Obviously the plastic trowels are constantly getting nicks and grooves and are too flexible in the early stages of troweling.
The Nela flexi trowels just leave waves on the skim unless you go over super wet gear.
I'll happily use the flexis on curved areas in the latter stages but can rarely be bothered to go and get it out of the tool box.
I'm not slating those that do use them, each to their own.

I think it is horse for course on this... I am releasing a review in a little while :D well worth a read

Yep...gone back to just a steel trowel for passed couple of years now.

What I found was I was still trowelling the wall the same amount of times but doing all the not needed faffing also ie speedskim etc.

I also f**k*d it all off and actually feel that I have more time now as I'm not always touching the wall 3 trowels job done!

I've also come to realise it's far more important to allow correct amount of time to complete jobs and price correctly than really on some super tool to take all the stress out of the work!

I've also come to realise it's far more important to allow correct amount of time to complete jobs and price correctly than really on some super tool to take all the stress out of the work!
Yeah found it seemed to cost me time. Job I did other day was a pain as top half was emulsion wall bottom week old roughing . So had to get bottom to catch top up but still didn' put as much time on wall . My worse bad habit was trying to hurry it up .

I went back to basics ages ago got a new trowel ss Marshall town so lay on with that first couple trowels with it and two trowels with my very broken in one best thing I ever done was ditch all the other stuff still use a speed skim on ceilings though

I went back to basics ages ago got a new trowel ss Marshall town so lay on with that first couple trowels with it and two trowels with my very broken in one best thing I ever done was ditch all the other stuff still use a speed skim on ceilings though
I find using young en works better on ceilings