Awkward coving suggestions

reeves1985

Got a customer who I've done some previous work for who wants her stairs and hallway sorting.
Rip original in situ cove down record ceiling etc etc. All good no problem.
The trouble is she wants it recoving (in 127) an the main wall has an integral internal and external curve.
I don't have a picture but if you imaging a wave that goes in to out. A bit like a S shape if viewed from above but not as extreme.

I've been trying to come up with a few ideas of how to get it done without it looking shite without having to get the profile made.
The only thing I can come up with is wet the cove and let it bend naturally (for the external curve) and strip and fill the internal curve.
Or try using some strips of ply pinned and running with binding and easi fill and sand smooth.

Anyone got any other genius ideas??

Unfortunately haven't got one and won't be able to until I start job on the 11th
I'll see if I can find something similar on the net to illustrate what I mean

I was thinking maybe to firm it freehand with some thin strips of ply pinned up on top of each other to get the lip and to flex the bends but not so sure how to pin the ply securely

Right these are glass blocks but imagine the blocks as a skimmed wall that's the profile the cove needs to follow

Attachments

• DSC01440.jpg
    DSC01440.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 274
Right these are glass blocks but imagine the blocks as a skimmed wall that's the profile the cove needs to follow

Don't know if this would work but I'd wet it down and fix it in a few places to hold it in place.
Only other thing I can think of is template the curve somehow and then use this to fix the coving to overnight to get the shape then it can just be stuck up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best suggestion I can think of is wet it, let it soaks in for a bit and stick and pin it. Depends how tight a curve it is as to whether you'll get away with it.
Could also try to notch it so it looks like a comb and fill and sand it.

Is it just normal gyprock cove? If so it slice back ever inch and fix then smooth over with easy fill if unable to wet/ bend if it'd proper fibrous I ain't gotva Scooby doo

Just normal 127 gyproc yeah
The curves themselves aren't too tight.
I know it bends when wet just a bit apprehensive as never tried it before

The notching is also a possibility although not too sure how well it would work given it needs to go both ways

Could you not take the curve out of the wall? Otherwise your f**k*d and it needs running in situ :) I know what you mean is it down stairs hallway?

Take a profile of 127 cove in zinc and plywood and make a running mould. then you can double up 5mm ply and fix to the curve to give the mould something to run on.

Could you not take the curve out of the wall? Otherwise your f**k*d and it needs running in situ :) I know what you mean is it down stairs hallway?

Yeah it's the downstairs Hall
Its impossible to take it out unfortunately.
To be fair a chippys been in at some point and put dado on and just put it at 45 and filled gap looks awful luckily that's coming off

I like the idea of the zinc mould and profile although I haven't got a clue where to start with a zinc mould lol!

Good to hear all the replies because there's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

It will get done and look good it's just a case of taking the most efficient way of doing it and also thinking of costs as ever!

Have you not got a fibrous firm near you maybe you could pop in and ask them to knock you one up might cost giving a bloke a drink but worth a shot, where you based

Good to hear all the replies because there's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

It will get done and look good it's just a case of taking the most efficient way of doing it and also thinking of costs as ever!
If you're not sure about making the mould, then i'd go with pageys advice, either that or just convince the customer they don't need a cove. Its going to be a very expensive cove whatever method you use

Even scoring back of coving won't help I don't think, if you was local I could try ask the workshop I know to make one depends on how busy they are though

If you're not sure about making the mould, then i'd go with pageys advice, either that or just convince the customer they don't need a cove. Its going to be a very expensive cove whatever method you use
Gotta cover all angles on this I know a few firms and reckon one bloke would make me up one of need be but when you a bit stumped no shame in asking

Gotta cover all angles on this I know a few firms and reckon one bloke would make me up one of need be but when you a bit stumped no shame in asking
Cheers matey
I'm in Doncaster
I do know there is a firm in Doncaster that do fibrous called timeless
I don't really know him directly as it was my mate who used to deal with him mainly I just bob the odd bit his way
Trouble is my mate now lives in Australia the lucky fecker

Might have to see if they'll knock me up the profile

Cheers matey
I'm in Doncaster
I do know there is a firm in Doncaster that do fibrous called timeless
I don't really know him directly as it was my mate who used to deal with him mainly I just bob the odd bit his way
Trouble is my mate now lives in Australia the lucky fecker

Might have to see if they'll knock me up the profile
Mate just pop in there have a chat with blokes and 9/10 if your sweet and that they will whip u up one I will have a chat with my man tomo see if he can help if he can I sort it and your just have to pay for postage plus if you get on well with them you might get another contact

Mate just pop in there have a chat with blokes and 9/10 if your sweet and that they will whip u up one I will have a chat with my man tomo see if he can help if he can I sort it and your just have to pay for postage plus if you get on well with them you might get another contact
That's true pal.
Appreciate your help as well
No problem with postage and a couple of beers
I'll pop in and have a chat as well when I get chance which will probably be Monday anyway.
So if you can let me know it would be appreciated

That's true pal.
Appreciate your help as well
No problem with postage and a couple of beers
I'll pop in and have a chat as well when I get chance which will probably be Monday anyway.
So if you can let me know it would be appreciated
I give him a call in morning for you and message you 127 coving yeah?

I know this is going to sound rough as f**k so forgive me...

But what about if push came to shove you just cut loads of little 1" pieces of cove and then gradually formed/ followed the profile then just totaly smooth out the profile with easy fill???

I know that sounds dog rough but just a little thought!!!

I know this is going to sound rough as f**k so forgive me...

But what about if push came to shove you just cut loads of little 1" pieces of cove and then gradually formed/ followed the profile then just totaly smooth out the profile with easy fill???

I know that sounds dog rough but just a little thought!!!

I have actually thought about that
It would be a pain in the arse and would be a dog s**t way of doing it but once finished would look fine!

The customer isn't bothered how it's done just as long as it's coved
I tried to persuade them to not have it but that's definitely out.
The original in situ cove is shot and beyond any sort of repair.
So there wanting it removed re boarding and new cove.
I would have preferred to repair what's there already and would save time and cost but it's just not viable

I'm going to wait to hear from @Pagey and then try my local fibrous for a mould profile to just run it.

But if not it may well be the sections approach

I have actually thought about that
It would be a pain in the arse and would be a dog s**t way of doing it but once finished would look fine!

The customer isn't bothered how it's done just as long as it's coved
I tried to persuade them to not have it but that's definitely out.
The original in situ cove is shot and beyond any sort of repair.
So there wanting it removed re boarding and new cove.
I would have preferred to repair what's there already and would save time and cost but it's just not viable

I'm going to wait to hear from @Pagey and then try my local fibrous for a mould profile to just run it.

But if not it may well be the sections approach
When you need it for mate? They ain't in workshop for at least a week 2 max is happy to make me one up just a delay on them cos they on a job on site

I start the job on the 11th
And it's booked for 3-4 days
But there's no problem with me going back after to run the curves if need be there decent people and know it's an awkward thing to do
Obviously if they can do it Id appreciate it very much

run it as said or...get it precast by a fibrefirm :)
were is it? if local to me liverpool, give me a shout can knock runner up for you.
only just seen marshy tag me in this