Awkward ceiling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeves1985

Just been to look at a job
it's a kitchen ceiling not a large area at all but would be a nice filler job to tie up half a day I have spare coming up

the blokes boarded it himself but because the wall units are so high you can't get a screw in the wall edge of 2 6x3 boards opposite sides of the ceiling

I could literally get my trowel in to lay on but I can't see a way to fix the unsecured edges

no way a driver will fit in with a screw even the small ones

is there a way? Blokes adamant the wall units aren't coming off

need to decide if there is a way to secure the edges if there is I'll take the job if not I won't

but I'd rather not just walk away if there is a method to do it

Experience tells me there isn't an easy way but there's always new tricks to be learnt ;-)

Or put them in by hand with a stubby screw driver, yes it,s awkward but ow if it was easy we would not have jobs

Cut the board, take it down and then put a line of pink-grip on each joist. Re-fit the board and prop overnight :RpS_thumbup:

If theres enough room use an angle head driver as mentioned, but if units are to high for it and if theres room fix p.a.r batten to wall pushing up board tight to clamp board end up, units will hide it especially when the battens painted same colour as the wall, get fixings in as close as possible to it. Not ideal but will hold if done well as wall units are usually only around 300mm deep.

What you could do is mark the joists on the board and screw the screws to the board, get a ratchet and get the size that fits the screw head off your cordless and use the ratchet to screw the boards :)

Just wedge the board against the wall as tight as you can run a bead of grip fill and scim the ****

Top fellas
like the look of the angled driver if it's small enough

Your right in one thing I don't think there is such a thing as easy job

there's always something hidden away to pop its head up

You get the ratchet then you get the screw bit out of your cordless and find the socket that fits it then use the ratchet to put the screw in :)

tosh nail it with 50mm roofing nails, get them in as far as you can , then use something like metal rod and hammer on it send them home , iv got a bucket of 50,s thats why i use them when i can :rolleyes)plus too mean to buy screws

Cheers guys looking at the thread again this morning how I didn't follow the ratchet idea I'll never know was having one of those evenings

the ratchet idea does look the way to go

and as you say rather use a tool I have which I do have a ratchet and socket set

Just been to look at a job
it's a kitchen ceiling not a large area at all but would be a nice filler job to tie up half a day I have spare coming up

the blokes boarded it himself but because the wall units are so high you can't get a screw in the wall edge of 2 6x3 boards opposite sides of the ceiling

I could literally get my trowel in to lay on but I can't see a way to fix the unsecured edges

no way a driver will fit in with a screw even the small ones

is there a way? Blokes adamant the wall units aren't coming off

need to decide if there is a way to secure the edges if there is I'll take the job if not I won't

but I'd rather not just walk away if there is a method to do it

Experience tells me there isn't an easy way but there's always new tricks to be learnt ;-)

That's like me saying to a tiler , ive tiled it you need to all the cuts and grout it!

Status
Not open for further replies.