Attempt at Quoins (Thanks to Mark Ross)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all a big thankyou to Mark Ross for the half day tuition!
You went above and beyond - You are a scholar and a gentleman!!

Right - the builder asked me to do this as his plasterer started and then decided he didn't know
how to do them!!
Hence why staggered baton and top coat already done.
Well I think for my first attempt un-orthodox I didn't do so bad!!

As previous plasterer left it
1As I found it!.jpg
Batons removed and mine fixed

2Batons Removed.jpg
Thats the top bit done and new baton fixed ready

3Top Quoin and Pelmit done.jpg

Ruled off
5Rubbed up.jpg

Ony five pics allowed so look for number 2 posting!!

Attachments

• 4Ruled off.jpg
    4Ruled off.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 251
Attempt at Quoins (Thanks to Mark Ross) 2

Rubbed up

5Rubbed up.jpg

Started cutting
6Cutting started.jpg

All finished
8Baton removed.jpg

Hope you can see all the photos - think I may have got the ruled off and rubbed up one the wrong way around - oh well
Thanks Mark!!
James

Attachments

• 7Almost finished.jpg
    7Almost finished.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 241
Looking good james. Hope my lads made you feel welcome. They tear around a bit, but they have too as a lot of what we do is on price. I'll be running the portico cornice tomorrow.

Very welcome indeed thanks Mark - It was a pleasure to have done some work with such a quality tradesman.
Did you like the first photo with the staggered batons. If you look carefully you will notice that he got the quoins staggers the wrong way around. Hence why the scratches poke out from under the short quoins.
The right hand side was a bitch with that soil stack. Could not put a baton there.
Thats why I did the top bit first because I could rule from that to the half broken quoin at the bottom to get a level.
then I ruled up using it as a guide.
He reckons the moulding will be made out of timber and screwed on ?????

Well it will be cheaper than running them . Like most developers, it's all on a tight budget, so a bit of manky softwood it will be. Sad really. But that's how it is.

what are you going to do with the bit of exposed scratch afterwards?

According to the builder "Thats the decoraters job" I assume they will have some sort of fine exterior filler for it. As it is there are lots of screw holes from the batons I removed and some from my ones. Oh well !
Thanks for all the good feedback guys :RpS_wub:

what does happen to the scratch bit after too? i watched a few vids last night on this and they do these corners after the hole building is scratched, then peel off whats not needed doing these quoins, then your left with the rest of the building to top out...... so how do you go about butting up to the new quoins youv just done? a thin coat top? i dont get it.

what does happen to the scratch bit after too? i watched a few vids last night on this and they do these corners after the hole building is scratched, then peel off whats not needed doing these quoins, then your left with the rest of the building to top out...... so how do you go about butting up to the new quoins youv just done? a thin coat top? i dont get it.

Normally the quoins would be a lot thicker so that they are roughly 15mm proud of the finished coat. At least these were - I measured the existing and bought 15mm batons. You're quite right though they should be done on the scratch but this builders plasterer started and didn't know how to do them. When he finally told the builder, he had already done the top coat!!!
Check the other posting under this title and you will see the photo of when I started!

You did a good job there don't listen to the negatives mark will put you right go with the man who showed you

Looking good james. Hope my lads made you feel welcome. They tear around a bit, but they have too as a lot of what we do is on price. I'll be running the portico cornice tomorrow.
You running circular mark to meet straight

When you have a real good look at Quoins, you will start to see there are so many variations. Some go half /full. Some are 2/3 to 1/3 Many of the Tunbridge wells ones are 2/3 to 1/3. Some are paterned, stepped, picture framed....etc etc. If you have matched the other side of the building. Then that is right for that building.

Normally the quoins would be a lot thicker so that they are roughly 15mm proud of the finished coat. At least these were - I measured the existing and bought 15mm batons. You're quite right though they should be done on the scratch but this builders plasterer started and didn't know how to do them. When he finally told the builder, he had already done the top coat!!!
Check the other posting under this title and you will see the photo of when I started!

ah right i see! thanks mate, so you make them thicker and then once cured go back and flat render up to them.

great job mate,bet it was very satisfiying:RpS_thumbsup:

when i was an apprentice i worked with two spreads on a big house in wimbledon hill....it was the whole house top to bottom in block affect.must have put about 20 scratch coats on to build thickness out!!it always sticks wi me cos i was soo impressed at the leval of skill they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.