At my wits end

Members online

TBSW

We moved in to a new house 6 months ago and about 3 months ago we had all of the ceilings plastered to cover the artex. The entire house has been a large project so now we are getting to the decorating.
So the plastered dried for about 3 months. Then I put 2 mist coats on it and then a finish coat but it continued to suck the water out of the paint as it was applied to the point that I could not even spread one roller of paint fast enough to avoid awful lines and textures. So I left it for another month and tried another finish coat. Same result. Even when cutting it in the paint looked visibly dry in less than 10 seconds. So I put a coat of Gyprock Drywall Sealer on it and that stuff soaked in just as fast. So I let that cure for 2 days then tried another finish coat this morning. I had let the room go very cool overnight and thinned the paint a bit to see if I could get it to stay wet long enough to roll it and it is still sucking the moisture out of the paint as fast as it makes contact. I let that dry all day and even turned the heat on in the room after the paint had been on for 8 hours to get it good and dry. Tonight I hit it with a paint brush again and it sucked the moisture out of the paint so fast that it looked dry in only a few seconds.
I tried both Johnstone's matt white and Leyland Trade White but no differences at all.
Not sure that else I can possible do. I just want to get a coat of paint on without lines in it.
I have been a house painter for years, and aircraft painter and an industrial steel painter for long periods in the past but came from Arizona where we didn't do plastering so I'm thinking that maybe there is something I am missing? Any ideas?

We moved in to a new house 6 months ago and about 3 months ago we had all of the ceilings plastered to cover the artex. The entire house has been a large project so now we are getting to the decorating.
So the plastered dried for about 3 months. Then I put 2 mist coats on it and then a finish coat but it continued to suck the water out of the paint as it was applied to the point that I could not even spread one roller of paint fast enough to avoid awful lines and textures. So I left it for another month and tried another finish coat. Same result. Even when cutting it in the paint looked visibly dry in less than 10 seconds. So I put a coat of Gyprock Drywall Sealer on it and that stuff soaked in just as fast. So I let that cure for 2 days then tried another finish coat this morning. I had let the room go very cool overnight and thinned the paint a bit to see if I could get it to stay wet long enough to roll it and it is still sucking the moisture out of the paint as fast as it makes contact. I let that dry all day and even turned the heat on in the room after the paint had been on for 8 hours to get it good and dry. Tonight I hit it with a paint brush again and it sucked the moisture out of the paint so fast that it looked dry in only a few seconds.
I tried both Johnstone's matt white and Leyland Trade White but no differences at all.
Not sure that else I can possible do. I just want to get a coat of paint on without lines in it.
I have been a house painter for years, and aircraft painter and an industrial steel painter for long periods in the past but came from Arizona where we didn't do plastering so I'm thinking that maybe there is something I am missing? Any ideas?
Try the decorators forum mate.

@Stevieo

I'll be f**k*d if I know what he's doing.

I do know that there isn't much point hydrating the wall and then leaving it to dry out.

House could be cursed. Luckily for him I've been studying demonology here 8n Holy Catholic Ireland.

Can travel, reasonable rates.

Why won't you try one of the ready mixed undercoats for bare plaster, screwfix does the no nonsense one. I reckon you used wrong ratio of water and paint in the first coat and it didn't prime it properly hence why is sucking like a cheap hooker

Well at least you are coming the end, Wits End.
Use a roller not a brush?