ashlar/quoin/long lines and stuff..

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigsegs

i was watchin some lads stick the lines in some k rend a while back and they seemed to be using a length of roofing batten to do it with...
looking the stuff up i find it says use an 'ashlar cutter' which looks to me like a spiky wooden float...
seein as i fancy havin a crack at a bit round the back of the house... can someone explain to me whats goin on here?? ta lads

batten prolly had a nail in it to cut line, expensive tool or or bit of wood with nail in? i know what i'd choose! the spikey float is for going over the render the following day, like floating up s&c really.

You can buy ashlar beads set them horizontally and work to them. ill be honest though ive never done ashlar detail done blocking out marked render with a brickies jointer

its them lines about an inch wide tho...and they get em dead straight.... never done owt like it with render... and that spiky float thing has the spikes stickin out the edge??

You can buy ashlar beads set them horizontally and work to them. ill be honest though ive never done ashlar detail done blocking out marked render with a brickies jointer
Ahhh...makes more sense.. might have just been cleanin the back out??
so qould the 'spiky ashlar thing' be more for the v groove quoin type thing??

Theres two types one for pointed V shaped lines the other one is square finish, mind you where i live the properties are not posh enough that type of finish ;D

batten prolly had a nail in it to cut line, expensive tool or or bit of wood with nail in? i know what i'd choose! the spikey float is for going over the render the following day, like floating up s&c really.
i seen the 'scraper' tool... looks like a poly float with something on the face...
same lads were scrapin back same day too, albeit a good few hours later, and they were usin darbies?? is that maybe a bit naughty? like goin on too soft or something... seemed bloody quick tho..

well yeah, i suppose so, krend site says soemthing like 25-30mm leave 10mm on the wall at the base of the cut, so the cuts maybe 15-20mm deep...

i've only used it a couple of times so others might set me straight, but i put it on same as s&c so it didn't need much scratching back  ;) fed up i paid for the tool really...

right.. just had a look for some ashlar bead...
looks like you set em a batten width apart...
these guys were sprayin tho... i shouldve got a hard hat and gone and checked em out i suppose.. but.. if the beads on the wall, batten width apart and the first pass gets in between, the second pass leaves the gap alone, rule off as normal... then when it comes to scrape back would the batten be used to just flatten the back of the line off between the beads??
teach yerself k rend... never a good idea :-[

the tools pft mentioned are set to a depth and you run them along the batten .....the line youre cutting wants to be straight horizontally so you get an even depth ............sounds easy in theory ;D

i did this sort of thing last year doing monocouche. Bearing in mind your stop bead is level you split the wall up into equal sections then ping a chalk line through. Using a level you then work off your chalk line with a tool which looks a bit like this

------------------------------
/ ----------------------- |
/ ----------------------- |
/---------------------------------|
\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

sorry bout the picture, dont know how to upload pictures, but if you get me you just turn this tool on its side and run it along your level keeping the same thickness all the way along the wall

do you judge the depth by eye, by using the beads or is there a way of setting the depth with the tool?

riiiiiiight!! nice one..
so its just like scraping back but deeper yes??

ive used the tool nickseys on about, but got offered the one im on about above. so yea basically u free hand the depth but its not hard to judge a couple of mm

Status
Not open for further replies.