Asbestos report

Members online

Olican

Private Member
A client asked if there was a chance of any asbestos in his Artex ceilings, we had an asbestos test and these were the results. Ceilings are all light stipple Artex, the kind we've all scraped and skimmed a thousand times.

After seeing the report I asked how much of a risk this was, testing company wouldn't comment , just recommend an asbestos removal firm .

I wonder how much chrysolite I've inhaled over the years.

Screenshot_20200428-212004.png
Screenshot_20200427-153533.png

A client asked if there was a chance of any asbestos in his Artex ceilings, we had an asbestos test and these were the results. Ceilings are all light stipple Artex, the kind we've all scraped and skimmed a thousand times.

After seeing the report I asked how much of a risk this was, testing company wouldn't comment , just recommend an asbestos removal firm .

View attachment 48350View attachment 48351
What was cost of test.

Scraped an unknown amount of artex ceilings, from the 90's to now, and applied it in the early 80's 90's. So at what point do you become I'll, or is it a scam.

If I asbestos Heart disease coronavirus. When number up it up

Piss & wind!!!

But good chance to upscale a boarded ceiling I guess pal

Scraped loads...what I want to know is what exactly do an asbestos removal company do? I had one customer tell me the take the whole ceiling down...if it's a lathe and plaster ceiling theres dust everywhere! To me it makes more sense to knock a few small holes in the ceiling and overboard...probably less risk of exposure

Still gotta find the joists.

If you really want to push for more money tell they you will remove a strip on either side of the room with X tex...then locate the joists along this strip...then overboard...done this a few times and got around £1200 for a overboard...still cheaper than asbestos removal company

If you really want to push for more money tell they you will remove a strip on either side of the room with X tex...then locate the joists along this strip...then overboard...done this a few times and got around £1200 for a overboard...still cheaper than asbestos removal company

Eh

Xtex Artex remover....just remove a strip where you locate the joists...then hammer into ceiling as normal to locate joists...

If the customer is really paranoid then this option doesn't disturb Artex...

Or metal frame system but most customers i find don't like to lose ceiling height

Xtex Artex remover....just remove a strip where you locate the joists...then hammer into ceiling as normal to locate joists...

If the customer is really paranoid then this option doesn't disturb Artex...

Or metal frame system but most customers i find don't like to lose ceiling height

I never understand all this hammer into ceiling to find a joist just find the 1 next to light fitting then every 16" old money or 450/600mm new lids

Scraped loads...what I want to know is what exactly do an asbestos removal company do? I had one customer tell me the take the whole ceiling down...if it's a lathe and plaster ceiling theres dust everywhere! To me it makes more sense to knock a few small holes in the ceiling and overboard...probably less risk of exposure
Why would a lathe and plaster ceiling have asbestos in?

Not very helpful is it? Just looked up an HSE paper on it; So it's a Class 1 still but much lower than the rest, no fancy removal requirements, banned in UK since 1999. If it were me - I'd try not too breathe in too much or kick up a lot of dust, clean the dust off myself carefully, & wear a proper mask. You'll have to make up your own mind.
"Asbestos cement is regarded as a lower risk product and does not need a licensed removal company when work is carried out on it. However, all work with asbestos comes under the Asbestos Regulations 2006 (which recently replaced by CAWR 2002) and exposure should be reduced to as low as reasonably practicable........" "Most of the reviews carried out by HSE on the toxicology (Meldrum, 1997) and on human epidemiology from asbestos production and manufacturing (Hodgson and Darnton, 2000) have concluded that chrysotile is a carcinogen but has a lower risk than the two other main types of commercially used asbestos (crocidolite and amosite). Hodgson and Darnton thought the risk from mesothelioma from crocidolite and amosite asbestos were of the order of 500 and 100 times greater than for chrysotile asbestos."
"HSE recognises that there is substantial evidence for chrysotile being a carcinogen but acknowledges that it has a lower risk than the other commercial types of asbestos. It is not assumed or accepted that there is no risk and chrysotile is regulated using the same legislation and procedures as used for other types of asbestos. However a lower exposure / control limit had been applied for many years and current guidance and risk estimates take into account the lower level of risk between the types of asbestos (e.g. MDHS 100, CD 205). "
ZZZZzzzzzz....

With a screw or knock hammer to hear when not hollow but never put holes in it

Can't be bothered with messing around I like to know exactly where the joists are...takes 10 minutes to whip round a ceiling...and many times I've found the joist layout to be completely unexpected.

Goes back to my post in another thread about the work the muppet screwed half the boards up only into the lathes and the joints cracked.

Can't be bothered with messing around I like to know exactly where the joists are...takes 10 minutes to whip round a ceiling...and many times I've found the joist layout to be completely unexpected.

Goes back to my post in another thread about the work the muppet screwed half the boards up only into the lathes and the joints cracked.

I know 100% if I'm in a joist or not every time