Asbestos in old cornices construction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

howsarolly

HI,

I own a flat in a victorian house conversion [ built approx 1902]
Because the house had been converted and the cornices were patchy in parts the best solution was to remove the existing cornice and replace with new like for like looking fibrous plaster ones which i erected with a builder.
The removal of the cornices where incredibly dirty dusty jobs since they were large profiles approx 200mm high and deep. I am concerned, although its obviously to late, that they may have included asbestos as i only recently read that asbestos was used in plaster products from the early part of the century.

The build up of the cornice was of approximate 1cm thick of white very hard finish almost cement like on the outside with what looked like brown brittle mud with small stones and hair backing which packed the area behind the white outside finish and the wall and ceiling. This mud material also ran above the top of the cornice and linked up with the mud running into the timber strips making up the rear of the ceiling plaster
Is this cornice construction in keeping with the way things were constructed at that time? I have read that white plaster of paris was used around this time but this was very hard and i dont remember seeing a hessian backing and the mud -stone-hair at the back was almost always stuck to the white front finish

Any past experience or knowledge on this would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Hi there
The cornice will almost certainly be lime putty on a sand and lime background. there is no need to worry ,i am not aware of any asbestos in the make up. I used to run this type of moulding in my youth some 55 years ago. The precautions you should take are glasses and dust mask so not to inhale the dust or get it in your eyes. A pair of disposible overalls would not go ammiss
message me if you want to talk further

as top said, it would be lime putty and horsehair.
Asbestos was used in artex, this may be causing some confusion and getting Chinese whispered along the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.