Asbestos ceilings

Members online

Lots of strange building materials in that era.

Seen wood fibre boards ceilings with lining paper on also from that era!

Essex board also known as tintest board, it was manufactured local at Marks Tey, it was used as a cheap repair to ceilings in war time.
it was still in production in the 60s it was used on ceilings upstairs in council housing, the more expensive plasterboard down stairs.

1935 property @zombie

I don’t think it will be asbestos, but at the time I wasn’t looking for it, so will check when I go back. I’m gutting the house, so wouldn’t want to leave it. As. It isn’t Victorian, ceiling heights, probably about 2.5m so wouldn’t want to lose any height. Hopefully the neighbour was exaggerating a bit, but thought I’d put it to Forum to see if anyone else had come across it. I’ve seen asbestos board used in stud partitions before but never ceilings. Will check next week.

Yeah, a bit weird, hence the question. Going back next weekend so will have a look.

Was there ever a transition from lath and plaster to asbestos to plaster board?
some council housing was done in asbestolux but just after war a lot of prefabs where built asbestos inside and out and corrigated on roofs too

I might be a bit slow but don't understand /please enlighten me

I went to have another look yesterday Norm as the mortgage valuation had flagged up a few problems. I wasn’t looking particularly at the ceilings as that wasn’t an issue. When estate agent left, I knocked neighbours door, as I wanted to gauge if he was a muppet or not, and also if he knew much about the house as it’s a semi. Nice guy, and said he’d spent loads getting his side into shape and he mentioned about the ceilings.

I went to have another look yesterday Norm as the mortgage valuation had flagged up a few problems. I wasn’t looking particularly at the ceilings as that wasn’t an issue. When estate agent left, I knocked neighbours door, as I wanted to gauge if he was a muppet or not, and also if he knew much about the house as it’s a semi. Nice guy, and said he’d spent loads getting his side into shape and he mentioned about the ceilings.
with u now was he wearing a resperator

with u now was he wearing a resperator

No. He didn’t test it, but his ‘mate reckoned it could have been asbestos by the way he described it to him, which is why I’m asking if anyone knew of asbestos boards being used in ceilings from this period. The ceilings look plastered, cracked, but plastered so just presumed lath and plaster, but as 1935 property, would it still be lath?

No. He didn’t test it, but his ‘mate reckoned it could have been asbestos by the way he described it to him, which is why I’m asking if anyone knew of asbestos boards being used in ceilings from this period. The ceilings look plastered, cracked, but plastered so just presumed lath and plaster, but as 1935 property, would it still be lath?
if asbestos the cracks would be like8x4 sheets if lath random try sounding it with your knuckles if a dull sound lath / if chrips walk away