Asbestos ceilings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ky12

Hi all, I'm in a 1950 property and am in a position to rip down old ceiling in kitchen. (Plaster on walls had blown so I've got a back to brick empty shell)
my survey shows ceilings as 'plasterboard' can I rip these out or is there likely asbestos in these boards?

If so I will be overboarding.

Thanks

If its pb crack on:RpS_thumbup:
if you have concerns you can get a test kit on tinternet.

If it is asbestos you are obligated to advise the client of its existence. If you overboard it you will become liable it is a criminal offence to touch it without a licence

If it is asbestos you are obligated to advise the client of its existence. If you overboard it you will become liable it is a criminal offence to touch it without a licence

just been on a job where a small section approx. 4x3 was found, asbestos firm came out removed it ,cleaned up etc I kid you not 184.00 for approx. 40 minutes work,

Exactly . It is a licenced job and if you do it yourself you risk your life and all of those who use the area in the future.Hence the warning

Cheers guys. The sparky due to cut holes for spot lights in it seems to have no concern. Is there a way to tell by looking? Feeling?

Cheers guys. The sparky due to cut holes for spot lights in it seems to have no concern. Is there a way to tell by looking? Feeling?
sounds like your over concerned ,1 you had a survey and it said plasterboard, 2 electrician is going to cut holes in it , its not asbestos , sparky wouldn't cut holes in it (or shouldn't ) if he knows wat good for his health:RpS_thumbup:

If you need to transport asbestos waste yourself

If as a house holder, you intend to transport asbestos cement waste in your own vehicle, you do not
need to be a registered waste carrier provided that it is your own waste. However, you should take
the following steps to ensure that asbestos does not contaminate your car.
Spray sheet of asbestos cement with water.
Double wrap or double bag the asbestos cement with heavy duty polythene.
Ensure the wrapping is secured with tape.
Make sure vehicle occupants do not have access to the asbestos waste.

:RpS_thumbup: before you go ringing the police:rolleyes)

i have never seen an asbestos cement board ceiling in a house. they where fitted on commerical properties where there was a fire risk.
if the room was previous a garage then it would be a masterboard ceiling. i would remove the light fitting and see what thickness the board is ie 9 mm or 12.5 mm plasterboard about 4mm get it checked out. is this a private or council house ? if council they will take it to the dump for you free of charge.

Far from been criminal top strop ,its a h and s issue,criminality would need it to be dumped etc,in the old days it used to be buried in the basements,tonnes of it waiting to be found

Funny you should mention that Malc. My neice lives in Havering ,she had a bathroom leak ,lost a bit of ceiling below. Whole ceiling has asbestos based boards fixed to the joists above the plaster board. Council doing the whole house now. In Barking their is an entire estate built on the old Cape asbestos factory site.Just my opinion on the negligence being criminal if you find it and cover it up. HSE have some major powers to prosecute. At least there may be a civil case and morally why would any tradesman knowingly want to cover up such a material.

as you know asbestos cement board was not considered a health hazard. i have seen carpenters cutting sheets of it with circular saws and a cloud of dust going down the road. they even made water tanks in the loft of houses from this material.
councils where always looking for the cheap way over things in north east essex the downstairs ceilings are plasterboard but the first floor essex board with just the joints taped.

Status
Not open for further replies.