Artexing Gurus required

phil hedley

Hi there, firstly I'm not a plasterer but I'm looking for help/advice. I have removed a wall between my dining room and kitchen to open the room up and have a new kitchen fitted (all on hold at the minute due to this virus). The ceiling is artexed, broken leather.
I would like to keep the artex, I like the pattern and the rest of the ceilings are done the same.

I'm struggling to find anyone who could repair the ceiling and patch the artex. I was going to ask the plasterer to board the ceiling where the wall has been removed and I would do it. I've had a practice with artex on a sheet of ply with a sponge in a polythene bag but I cant get the pattern quite right. Tried using different sponges, plastic bags and having the artex thinner/ thicker. I haven't tried an artexing brush yet to create the pattern.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• artex1.jpg
    artex1.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 336
  • artex2.jpg
    artex2.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 1,113
  • artex3.jpg
    artex3.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 315
  • artex4.jpg
    artex4.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 278
Try wrapping a roller with a plastic bag or cling film with folds a creased in it. You will struggle to get a perfect match anyway because the thickness either side of the old wall will differ. Your best option for optimum finish is overboard and skim the lot though.

Hi there, firstly I'm not a plasterer but I'm looking for help/advice. I have removed a wall between my dining room and kitchen to open the room up and have a new kitchen fitted (all on hold at the minute due to this virus). The ceiling is artexed, broken leather.
I would like to keep the artex, I like the pattern and the rest of the ceilings are done the same.

I'm struggling to find anyone who could repair the ceiling and patch the artex. I was going to ask the plasterer to board the ceiling where the wall has been removed and I would do it. I've had a practice with artex on a sheet of ply with a sponge in a polythene bag but I cant get the pattern quite right. Tried using different sponges, plastic bags and having the artex thinner/ thicker. I haven't tried an artexing brush yet to create the pattern.

How much is my highly valued advice worth??

That will be almost impossible to match in. By the time its patched, taped and filled out it will be lower than the other edges and will stick out like a sore thumb. I've tried it loads of times on ceilings that have had leaks and I end up Skimming the ceiling or the customer has a go at trying to match it, makes an ar*e of it and I end up Skimming the ceiling.

any decent spread would be able to match that with a slap n drag of trowel on wet skim,done it loads of times and on stipple as well.

the ceiling needs an overboard, you have 2 straight joints right across your ceiling , a fault , creating a weak spot which may crack.

I would advise my customer to skim that. Patching in a corner or small area can be done but it's a lottery if it will show. Either skim ceiling or artex over the lot..

That's going to be instant eye grabber when patched in, no matter how good you are. Artex patches like that are always noticeable, to the point you'll probably end up getting it skimmed at some point in the future.
Better to do it now.

I.d put a rsj in . Paint it black then take one of walls back to brick clean it up. Just seen it in a house and looked really good

I.d put a rsj in . Paint it black then take one of walls back to brick clean it up. Just seen it in a house and looked really good

F*****g hideous!!!

My mate did same I took 1 look bent over and laughed my b*ll***s off £100k tramp terrace house with grand designs F*****g ideas!

Thanks for the replies, advice and opinions. I think I will get someone in and skim over the lot.
Can you advise what would be the best preparation of the existing artex ceiling for skimming? I've read in here most use blue grit or a similar bonding agent applied to the artex prior to skimming. The artex isn't a heavy pattern but has been emulsioned a few times.
Many thanks.

Thanks for the replies, advice and opinions. I think I will get someone in and skim over the lot.
Can you advise what would be the best preparation of the existing artex ceiling for skimming? I've read in here most use blue grit or a similar bonding agent applied to the artex prior to skimming. The artex isn't a heavy pattern but has been emulsioned a few times.
Many thanks.
Leave the prep to the person that's going to skim it. No ifs no buts.

Many thanks.

Just let them do the job properly and under plasterboard & skim it wont cost the earth and will make for a better job.