Artex walls

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hutton

Just wondering how everyone goes about reskimming aretex.

Personally I give it 2 coats of skim flatten in then sponge it, once it has took up abit knock up again then coat the wall again to cover it. Probally a better way but that's how I was shown as an apprentice and seems to cover nicely

Done a room a few months back with 50/50 and when it came to putting on the finish it didn't seem to trowel up very nice so went back to using finish

Cover it in Vam first, leave for a while then tell the plasterer to start. There's a guy selling it in articles for sale section:RpS_thumbup:

scrape, pva, a coat of 50% bonding 50% hardwall with an additive to advance the setting time, then 2 coats of multi.

I very rarely use bonding over artex.
I just scrape it nearly flat with a blade scraper(doesn't take long) pva & skim, let first coat firm up a bit then second coat.

Done a room a few months back with 50/50 and when it came to putting on the finish it didn't seem to trowel up very nice so went back to using finish

You need to catch it at the right time, just when it starts to harden. It flash sets so I get second on a lot quicker and it trowels up lovely.

Same as nisus. Pack out your levels with the first coat let it go firm then second coat. All the extra bonding will leave next to nothing in the skirting line

on heavy patterns of artex i have seen the skim shrink back and you can see the artex pattern through the decoration. that is why we obliterate the pattern before we skim.

Same as malc. Lose as much pattern as poss with floor scrapper. Then 1 thicker coat than normal, flatten then leave to set firmer than usual, then 1 more coat of multi and finish as normal.

The pattern will show through if 2nd coat is put on straight after 1st coat.
It needs to be left to firm up over artex before 2nd coat is applied otherwise the pattern will show through.

scrape well with long handles 4 inch scraped. makes the job easy. heavy pva. dry then light pva. skim as normal when pva is tacky. On ceilings though i always use cementone now. Had one bad experience with a greasy kitchen ceiling that didnt end well

Status
Not open for further replies.