artex stiple to patch up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombie

Private Member
Eyup Chaps,

After a bit of help if poss guys...got a little skimming job on this week and whilst im there ive offered to try and patch up about .5m2 of stipple artex. Ive explained that ive never touched the stuff but as its only above a cupboard there not overley fussed. Ive also explained that I imagine its going to stand out but again there just happy for me to have ago for them as not charging as such ie more of a gesture whilst there (realy nice old couple etc).

So anyway ive had a little search and from what I can make out I need to remove loose artex then pva? then apply a coat of artex let dry then apply another coat?

But what im mainly wondering is how you create the stipple effect? ie is it a particular tool?

Thanks for any advice guys

Basicaly I aint got a foooookin clue!!!! lol

Zombie:RpS_thumbsup:

5.1.jpg

Eyup Chaps,

After a bit of help if poss guys...got a little skimming job on this week and whilst im there ive offered to try and patch up about .5m2 of stipple artex. Ive explained that ive never touched the stuff but as its only above a cupboard there not overley fussed. Ive also explained that I imagine its going to stand out but again there just happy for me to have ago for them as not charging as such ie more of a gesture whilst there (realy nice old couple etc).

So anyway ive had a little search and from what I can make out I need to remove loose artex then pva? then apply a coat of artex let dry then apply another coat?

But what im mainly wondering is how you create the stipple effect? ie is it a particular tool?

Thanks for any advice guys

Basicaly I aint got a foooookin clue!!!! lol

Zombie:RpS_thumbsup:

I had exactly the same situation years ago, I bought a stipple pad from b&q . Not sure if they still sell them but I'm sure you can get one somewhere. I did a small test panel just to get the mix right.

@ stuart
@ oli

Legends!!!!!! thanks guys that's just what I was after!!!!

Thanks guys realy appreciated! :RpS_thumbsup:

Buy the pad not the roller.
Use artex sealer if you have some otherwise pva is ok but let it dry.
Stipple isn't easy to patch in and is nigh on impossible to match existing as it will shrink a bit when it dries.
As long as you/they don't expect miracles you'll be fine.

clean the area down, a coat of pva left to dry, for stipple pattern you need the artex mixed wet, apply the artex to the area, load stipple brush and tap the ceiling, twisting the brush on each tap so you do not show a box pattern

Stipple and the swirl patterns area easy to patch in mate , it's the comb patterns that are tricky done loads and you cannot tell it was patched when painted

Buy the pad not the roller.
Use artex sealer if you have some otherwise pva is ok but let it dry.
Stipple isn't easy to patch in and is nigh on impossible to match existing as it will shrink a bit when it dries.
As long as you/they don't expect miracles you'll be fine.

Its like you wait in the wings for artext to get mentioned lol...

whats artex sealer for? ;)

Stipple and the swirl patterns area easy to patch in mate , it's the comb patterns that are tricky done loads and you cannot tell it was patched when painted

Good on ya, well done, but Zombie has said he has never done it before.
Imo stipple is difficult to patch as its so wet it shrinks back, what looks great when its done looks **** when its dry. I find comb easy to match in though so I guess you just have an affinity for stipple :RpS_thumbsup:

Good on ya, well done, but Zombie has said he has never done it before.
Imo stipple is difficult to patch as its so wet it shrinks back, what looks great when its done looks **** when its dry. I find comb easy to match in though so I guess you just have an affinity for stipple :RpS_thumbsup:
if yours is shrinking back your not getting the prep work right ,building out needs to be done day before or use quick start or easy fill 20 , but then you already know that

if yours is shrinking back your not getting the prep work right ,building out needs to be done day before or use quick start or easy fill 20 , but then you already know that

All artex shrinks back as it's an air dry compound , not a setting compound. But then you already know that.

All artex shrinks back as it's an air dry compound , not a setting compound. But then you already know that.
oh yeah must have forgot that one, all artex shrinks backs so all the artex ceilings and patching jobs that I have done have shrunk back funny that as don't recall any , only if you try to fill out with artex to much will it shrink back

oh yeah must have forgot that one, all artex shrinks backs so all the artex ceilings and patching jobs that I have done have shrunk back funny that as don't recall any , only if you try to fill out with artex to much will it shrink back

So the artex does shrink then.
I think that statement says it.

for a realy, realy small area can you get away with just splatting some mulit over and using 1 of those pads on it or am I just being a cheapskate coz I realy reealy don't want to pay 20 quid on some artex!!!:RpS_blushing:

I would imaging you couldn't match artex, what about using a wallpaper steamer stripper , get the old artex off and start again?

Status
Not open for further replies.