Artex fail

Members online

Sam4554

Skimmed an artex ceiling recently and about a week later got a call saying the plaster has fell down.. I’ve done all the ceilings in his house and it’s only this 1 room I’ve had an issue with all 2 coat uni bond the night before and skim
Went back to overboard it had a look in his loft and saw a hole in his roof near where part of the ceiling had fell down is this the cause? Because on the other side of room about 2-3m away from hole the plaster is solid?

Problem with artex u never know the prep that has gone on behind it! Always safer to overboard imo or at least do a patch test to see what's going on behind it!
Skimmed over all the artex in his house all sound apart from 5m2 near the hole

Skimmed over all the artex in his house all sound apart from 5m2 near the hole
s**t happens I suppose as long as its sorted now don't worry about it! The long and short is things can happen as long as you go back and sort it everyone's happy! Could be worse rest of it could start dropping off in coming weeks :ROFLMAO:

Some artex has asbestos which can cause it to fail other ceilings sometimes have artex with no paint as it’s white sometimes hard to tell it’s a shot in the dark the later stuff in the 90’s seems to always be ok but if it’s a old house you never no when it’s been done.
I understand sometimes you have to chance it eg cove and stuff but would always recommend chucking a good few handfuls of bonding in the first coat and always use the gritt

I don’t understand why plasters pva the day before if your going to do that use the gritt .... your spose to skim pva when it’s tacky not bone dry it will create a plastic film on the artex
nowt surprises me on this forum anymore pal.....it's like people make it up as they go along nowadays or watch a youtube video and they're a plasterer same day

Skimmed an artex ceiling recently and about a week later got a call saying the plaster has fell down.. I’ve done all the ceilings in his house and it’s only this 1 room I’ve had an issue with all 2 coat uni bond the night before and skim
Went back to overboard it had a look in his loft and saw a hole in his roof near where part of the ceiling had fell down is this the cause? Because on the other side of room about 2-3m away from hole the plaster is solid?
Was there any water damage from the hole in the roof? Seems strange but I agree with artex it’s best to overboard to get guaranteed result.

Ffs! Pva re emulsifies.
Unibond etc.. is Poly Vinyl Acetate or copolymers so technically re-emulsify either wet or dry
so in theory it shouldn't matter when plastered onto but I was always taught to skim onto pva when tacky and at the end of the day you can't really argue with manufacturers useage instructions which clearly state on the back of the tubs to plaster onto it when tacky.
Also if you really want to get technical, British Gypsum clearly state on back of bags of multi to use Bond-it for preparation prior to re-skimming or going over painted surfaces.

Unibond etc.. is Poly Vinyl Acetate or copolymers so technically re-emulsify either wet or dry
so in theory it shouldn't matter when plastered onto but I was always taught to skim onto pva when tacky and at the end of the day you can't really argue with manufacturers useage instructions which clearly state on the back of the tubs to plaster onto it when tacky.
Also if you really want to get technical, British Gypsum clearly state on back of bags of multi to use Bond-it for preparation prior to re-skimming or going over painted surfaces.
Bg won't recommend PVA as they don't produce it

Assume the artex delaminated not your skim ?

I do know what pva stands for Ffs, Do you do everything by the letter of what it says in text books? Lol.
Btw I have never felt the need to read the back of a bag of multi in my life!

Bg won't recommend PVA as they don't produce it
Clever GIF by memecandy

Ffs, Do you do everything by the letter of what it says in text books? Lol.
Or plasterboard where it states "plaster other side only"

Why would they say to plaster on it tacky for no reason .... if it was was spose to be bone dry they would tell you to paint it on the day before like gritt which they don’t..... this is because it depends on the background and the is not enough space on the back of the tub to tell you 100 different things!

As I said earlier if you pva a non painted artex ceiling... that’s probably why it fell down

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 114
I do know what pva stands for Ffs, Do you do everything by the letter of what it says in text books? Lol.
do everything by the letter pal and ye get to earn more from jobs and retire at 55 and not be a run of the mill spread quoting against half a dozen others all saying the same to customers :burlas:

do everything by the letter pal and ye get to earn more from jobs and retire at 55 and not be a run of the mill spread quoting against half a dozen others all saying the same to customers :burlas:
You gain more from knowledge and experience than a poxy text book!! You know nothing about me mate lol. My reputation in my area and surrounding areas speaks for itself. FYI I never quote against anyone my price is my price take it or leave it. Also most of my work is recommended so I charge whatever I like ;)(y)

You won't be the 1st that's happened to and definitely the last whoever says different is full of s**t . I've had it happen with grit and pva and bond and ski. It's one of them things unfortunately
Did you ever find out what caused it to fail? This 20m2 ceiling half of it has fell down the other half solid as anything