Artex Ceiling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Privatepyle11

Hi all I am just in the process of doing my kitchen and I would like some advice. I have an artex ceiling at present and after reading the forum it seems there are differing views on how to go over the artex.

1) Overboard and skim
2) Go over with bonding mix then skim
3) Just PVA then 2 coats of multi finish

I was just wondering if I went for option 2 do I need to PVA the ceiling first before I bond or is this not required for bonding mix?

Also I can see joints coming through the artex where the joists must be do I need to put scrim tape over these first?

Thanks

i concur:RpS_thumbsup: o/b will be much better and you arnt taking any risks of delamination, asbestos, etc. if you did use option 2 i would pva, let dry, bond in am skim in pm. good luck

If you want to go ahead with 2) or 3) then use a bonding agent instead of PVA. Cementone Plasprime or Thistle Bond-it are very good. However, the bonding agent is only as strong as its weakest link (the paint). If you believe that the paint is sound then go ahead, otherwise you'll need to overboard :)

Artex coverings are more flexible than plaster and although you can see the outline of the boards above, you may notice that they have not cracked. It only takes a few minutes to scrim the joints and I would recommend Silver House scrim tape :)

Done 3 today , pva put on yesterday ,another coat this morning ,gauged a stiff mix layed it on ,let it nearly set, top off ,jobs a good un. 1 big mother tomorrow 62m2 :RpS_cursing:

Hi all I am just in the process of doing my kitchen and I would like some advice. I have an artex ceiling at present and after reading the forum it seems there are differing views on how to go over the artex.

1) Overboard and skim
2) Go over with bonding mix then skim
3) Just PVA then 2 coats of multi finish

I was just wondering if I went for option 2 do I need to PVA the ceiling first before I bond or is this not required for bonding mix?

Also I can see joints coming through the artex where the joists must be do I need to put scrim tape over these first?

Thanks

Private Pyle......................:RpS_laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the replies everyone I will be giving it a bash at the weekend and will go for option 1 or 2.

Dreading it, but got to try it lol

Hi all, well I put doing the ceiling off until this weekend just gone, it was hard work but a relief now it is finished!!!

Thanks for all the help, went with option 2 in the end - the end result is acceptable lol. There is the odd inperfection but I expected that, not as good as the pro's but I can cope with the finished product and there is always the easi fill!!

Next room to be done will be the living room, this I now know will be too big for me to do as it is a larger ceiling area 4m x 4m how much would a plasterer charge to bond over the artex and skim or overboard and skim a ceiling of that size.

zipper-mouth_zpscdac7d8a.png

You can post a job and ask for prices as private message.put the job ie ceiling to do,area of work,where it is etc,you could leave your email for contact purposes, I am sure lots of local plasterers would give you a price, good luck.

Yeah sorry about that :)

Prices are a sore subject :) Post your job up and I am sure you will get an idea :)

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.