artex ceiling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsm1982

got a job to price witch includes covering an artex ceiling i was thinking to over board it and skim the customer also wants the coving taking off and also the dado is it better to use hard wall to fill the holes or bonding

nsm1982 said:
got a job to price witch includes covering an artex ceiling i was thinking to over board it and skim the customer also wants the coving taking off and also the dado is it better to use hard wall to fill the holes or bonding

Once again in english please ;D

not bonding mate, basically nelly, coving needs to come down, ceiling needs overboarding and skimmin, and theres a few patches to do.

can you not just skim over the artex mate? and hard wall is your best bet, bonding is for low suction backgrounds (precast concrete, plasterboards) etc etc.....

the ceiling is about 30sqm and ill be on me tod so thought id have more time if it was boarded and wouldnt it be a better job if it was over boarded ?
??? ??? ???

nsm1982 said:
the ceiling is about 30sqm and ill be on me tod so thought id have more time if it was boarded and wouldnt it be a better job if it was over boarded ?
??? ??? ???

Swings and round-a-bouts mate.

Artex will have been painted so low suction, but deeper skim coat.

A possibility is board it and pva the boards to slow down the set.

steve cov said:
(french word)in hell, pva board? you don't need that much time!!

I dont no.

But he is clearly bothered and its best to err on the side of caution.

However if you had a team of highly trained depilated wimbledon wombats, one would plss it ;D

i would overboard for nice new lid but you would get away with overskim its just you aint really meant to over artex but no one else gives an eff about that

I used to find once you start adding on the price of boards it hikes up the price rather alot. i would rather skim the f**k charge the same and have more beer tokens

I have been skimming over artex for years.....

make sure you rake it back enough...get the lab to do it and then if you are worried about time WBA it.

But in an ideal world overboard and skim

Danny

i go over with bonding then skim when bonding changes colour ,goes on really well best finish ever looks 20 times better than just a skim same on rough walls except use hardwall

Thing is guys by the time youve f**k*d about scraping artex then wba ing bonding and screwed up the old ceiling if it was nailed etc in that time you might as well have boarded it and done a proper job.
Board and skim an average ceiling is a days work on your own.
Customer will be happy to pay fr that,if they wont pay dont do it!!!!
When ever u get the call for work ask questions explain ul only over board artex if they not intrested dont quote.Saves you time and effort.ultimately it saves you money in wasted time too.

skimmin2day said:
Thing is guys by the time youve (french word)ed about scraping artex then wba ing bonding and screwed up the old ceiling if it was nailed etc in that time you might as well have boarded it and done a proper job.
When ever u get the call for work ask questions explain ul only over board artex if they not intrested dont quote.Saves you time and effort.ultimately it saves you money in wasted time too.

dont turn work down mate ;)

give them all the options tell them pros and cons of each option and the price and then let them decide, if something is going to go wrong with just a reskim... and you know it will fall off then this will not be one of the options you will tell them, if you know what i am trying to say ;)

skimmin2day said:
Thing is guys by the time youve (french word)ed about scraping artex then wba ing bonding and screwed up the old ceiling if it was nailed etc in that time you might as well have boarded it and done a proper job.

I'm with you on this ::)

nsm1982 said:
over boarding is the best option but scape and scim one coat then wait for af an hour then second coat always works tight pva though

Totally agree, artex can pull away from the board and always tends to on the final polish,which is a nighmare,so push for the board and skim guys, also another safe bet is to paper tape the joints because even when a board is screwed well the self adhesive scrim can fail,thus , crack appear on the long joints even when boards are staggered ;)

Not always possible though. Ive just dont one where I said normally I would advise over board but it had coving all the way round.

can be done if you jay bead around the ceiling and leaving the board with a 25mm gap from the coving .works a treat and you dont bury have the coving

SPREADS said:
can be done if you jay bead around the ceiling and leaving the board with a 25mm gap from the coving .works a treat and you dont bury have the coving

u have to be a bit careful when putting up the beads tho, That 3" polystyrene coving
is very easy to damage

irish_spread said:
SPREADS said:

but its ok if you need to replace it. you only have to take out one of the 600m lengths :D

u have to be a bit careful when putting up the beads tho, That 3" polystyrene coving
is very easy to damage

got a lounge and dinning room to overboard and skim next month/

it had been bonded and skimmed ,when i looked at it about 4 weeks ago you could seen that the skim had blown

couldn't resit pulling some down ;)

FRANKY BOY said:
if you overboard, how dya know/work out where the joists are to screw/nail in2????????

we've got 2 joist finders....6 inch nails! if its upstairs go in the loft and poke the nails down either side of the joists. if its downstairs and you cant see the joists upstairs because of carpets etc then get poking. once you find the first one which is normally next to a wall, try going 16 inches or 400mm away and you shouldnt be far off. then just measure the distance between the first two and use that as a rough idea for the next one along and so on. do it both sides of the ceiling then ping a chaulk line between the two sides to get the centres of the joists.

It's White asbestos in artex regardless of age just scrape the fooker it takes 40 years to kill you you'll be long gone by then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.