Artex ceiling, undercoat and skim.

Hi

I would like to ask for some advice please on an Artex ceiling. The ceiling is 30m SQ and I have advised the client that I believe PVA , Bonding, and Skim is the work needed. I would rather this approach than overboarding due to the risk of cracks on the joints with it being so large.

My question is would you PVA the Bonding also as the Artex to help with suction.

Thank You in advance for any help.

Ye I always pva before bonding take no chances.then two coats of pva again on top of bonding , be sure to check the artefacts is firmly stuck as your adding alot of weight to the ceiling with this method good luck

Ye I always pva before bonding take no chances.then two coats of pva again on top of bonding , be sure to check the artefacts is firmly stuck as your adding alot of weight to the ceiling with this method good luck
Good point that one. Only two or three times this has happened to me by the way but Artex is water soluble (when water goes on it, it is re-activated to a paste form), after all the prep etc, had the finish coat on and all of a sudden...WTFFFFF, large patches of the ceiling started to bubble and peel off.

Good point that one. Only two or three times this has happened to me by the way, but Artex is water soluble (when it gets wet it is re-activated to a paste form), after all the prep etc, had the finish coat on and all of a sudden...WTFFFFF, large patches of the ceiling started to bubble and peel off.

Good point that one. Only two or three times this has happened to me by the way, but Artex is water soluble (when it gets wet it is re-activated to a paste form), after all the prep etc, had the finish coat on and all of a sudden...WTFFFFF, large patches of the ceiling started to bubble and peel off.
Nothing worse is there :( I've had a ceiling collapse on me due to the artex underneath give in ...nightmare lucky it was only small.

Why the heck you bonding the lot out? Just chuck some bonding into your skim to bulk it out, less fuffing about. Or try Bg's own flagship unifinish!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Can you not scrape back and skim without the need for bonding? Save a bit on the weight. I've overboarded larger ceilings without issue.

The stippling is not drastic on the ceiling but I'm hesitant to scrape back as it is a late 70s build ( Asbestos risk and all that, it hasn't been tested ). I'm happy to light bond it then skim. Done it before many times, but it is a fairly large area and I'm concerned about the suction, hence the reason Im thinking of PVA on the bonding before skim.

A good tip some of the lads on here use if the pattern isn't too deep is to throw a couple of handfuls of bonding in to your first coat and second coat as normal.

pva then 70/30 mix of bonding and skim then throw your top coat on skim only , bonding stops it setting to quick ,same as zolco has said

Thanks guys.

I have kind of got a way forward now, going to add some skim in with the bonding. Will post some pics after completion. :)

30 metres isn't a big area. What do you mean cracks on the joints if overboarding? stagger the joints?

How long you been plastering it's a very basic job if you know what you're doing.

Hooolllldddddd on one second! Your asking a very basic question here but your calling others that are rendering in November are unskilled t#*ts in another post have you just come off a course or new to the games?

30 metres isn't a big area. What do you mean cracks on the joints if overboarding? stagger the joints?

How long you been plastering it's a very basic job if you know what you're doing.

Yep, I know stagger the joints when boarding and it does sound a basic question bit hey all advice is appreciated.

Hooolllldddddd on one second! Your asking a very basic question here but your calling others that are rendering in November are unskilled t#*ts in another post have you just come off a course or new to the games?
New to the games, no offence ment to anyone.

I'd pva it then put a good 1st coat of skim on wash ur stuff up let it go in give it a flatten then give it another coat of fresh skim always worked for me and if u let the 1st coat firm up u never see the pattern through as u can sometimes if u put 2 coats straight on I would never bond it done that when 1st started of to much weight on the ceiling it don't take much for it to come away

If painted Artex,stuff all the pva and bonding coat crap, unifinish all day long, mix first coat up thicker ,flatten,chill,let it firm slightly and go again with laying in coat..

This is what the gear is made for,win,win then cash in !

If painted Artex,stuff all the pva and bonding coat crap, unifinish all day long, mix first coat up thicker ,flatten,chill,let it firm slightly and go again with laying in coat..

This is what the gear is made for,win,win then cash in !
I bloody said that in the beginning, how's the new selfie thermo apple?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I can see where's he's coming from with the bonding you no yourself when its all over the place it's a nightmare with just a skim personally I'd only do it if the artex is a mess best shout unfinish if painted