Arriving to a booked in job to find its not ready as aranged

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything more annoying than arriving to do a honest days work you booked in, to find the job is not ready for you? Well today took it to a hole new level. I was suppose to hack off, drill and inject, render in s/c and apply to coats of skim in this room. Yea right! :RpS_cursing:.....

ballons.jpg

What problems have delayed you in the past lads?

I have turned up at a job in the past to hack off, DPC then start rendering, in dinning room.

The client has answered the door given it the usual come in blah blah blah

Walked through to dinning room to find the family sat at the table eating breakfast. Then to be told "We will be out of your way in a min"

All arranged to be emptied carpet out etc BEFORE I get there.

sometimes your 'bubble gets burst" Is a job ever ready? "just got to throw a few cables. " that board is off because the plumber is not finished" the floor boards are around somewhere" "frames need to be fixed" "windows going in tuesday"

doing ouside work and the customer leaves you an extension through the window cos they've gone to work.you unload the van and set up and realise they didnt put the switch down on the socket in the house...............

Doing an extension and the customer won't let you use the bog as they're out - with a night on the Sams (Sam Smith bitter) can't blame them lol.
Another job and the customers son comes round while we're upstairs. Leaves and deadlocks the door! Had to ring customer to come and let us out..

Is there anything more annoying than arriving to do a honest days work you booked in, to find the job is not ready for you? Well today took it to a hole new level. I was suppose to hack off, drill and inject, render in s/c and apply to coats of skim in this room. Yea right! :RpS_cursing:.....

View attachment 1778

That was another 'spit my coffee out' moment mate....:RpS_lol:

I can totally relate to that...!

I had a weeks work in gurnsy about two years ago....first day there we had a 20 tone load of rapid set screed on the deck when i turned up on site, it was the middle of the summer...it was hot...and the three bungalows i was doing that day looked liked storage containers...after 2 1/2 hrs i stuggled to finish the 1st plot and no word of a lie the screed that was still out side was as white as snow.....had an absolute nightmare of a week in the end the screed company was putting like 6 times the normal amount of retarder in the mix to stop it going off so fast lol

i had one cancel on me for £1500+ worth of work 2 days before........ by text message. our lass had talked me out of buyin most of mats that day too.

best thing was, he was booked in for near 4 months and was emailing me while i was in NZ and asking if i was starting on 1st may.

bedroom, kitchen, living room, staircase and a few archways.

I had a guy cancel a £350 job, materials bought and in the van as it was the next days work, sent him an email sharing my feelings, he sent a cheque for full amount, incredible ,love this story

i was doing a terrace house in leicester for my birds mate and had planned to go sat morning to do few walls etc. was out night before having few beers n she was out with us ordering 2 pints a time for herself,reminded her ill be over at half 8 n she sed she was fine with tht. turned up sat morn bout half 8,banging on the door for an hour,text her,rang her no reply. so i tried the key i remembered i had, she'd blocked the door off with the sofa. all my kit was in there n i had another job on in the afternoon. finally got in at half 10 n went upstairs only to bump into an old mate of mine sneaking out of her bedroom....haha had to laught bout it in the end

i was doing a terrace house in leicester for my birds mate and had planned to go sat morning to do few walls etc. was out night before having few beers n she was out with us ordering 2 pints a time for herself,reminded her ill be over at half 8 n she sed she was fine with tht. turned up sat morn bout half 8,banging on the door for an hour,text her,rang her no reply. so i tried the key i remembered i had, she'd blocked the door off with the sofa. all my kit was in there n i had another job on in the afternoon. finally got in at half 10 n went upstairs only to bump into an old mate of mine sneaking out of her bedroom....haha had to laught bout it in the end

Did you get sloppy seconds? :RpS_thumbup:

I had a ceiling to pull down on a saturday morning, all arranged, turned up at eight ,rang the bell no answer,hung around rang the bell knocked etc.Eventually at 8.40 a sleepy lazy woman answered the door and asked for half an hour to get kids up etc.. mmmmm came back after nine, went to see the ceiling for the first time as it was a housing trust job through my uncle, it was in the kids room, bunkbeds,furniture, pictures on the wall ,carpet etc, she asked could we work around the beds, I said no we had to clear it, just a horrible job with no room to put anything, the ceiling was the old lathing plaster under a loft kind..nightmare to get it down,board ,skim and re fill the room with the beds carpets etc...

Went round to do a small porch way ceiling as arranged on a Monday morning, bloke answered a bit sheepish and said he'd had it done on the Saturday.. Cheeky twunt asked me to look at a bit of loose board on the landing.. Being kind natures I had a look, told him to screw it up and polyfilla it.

Went round to do a small porch way ceiling as arranged on a Monday morning, bloke answered a bit sheepish and said he'd had it done on the Saturday.. Cheeky twunt asked me to look at a bit of loose board on the landing.. Being kind natures I had a look, told him to screw it up and polyfilla it.

Lost ya self a nice little earner there matey lol

once turned up at a job knocked and knocked on door no answer, came back next day same again lost 2 days work, he phoned me up apologised said he had slept in both times, went back the next day front door was open knocked on door let myself in shouted clive its hector here, no answer but room had been cleared so fetched all my gear in got set up and then started skimming ceiling, at 2pm heard him coming downstairs walked into the room t shirt on naked from the waist down seen everything, he was totally dishevelled,scruffy obviously been on the drink, anything you want hector i said no clive go back to bed which he did do,as he turned round i seen his bare arse the lot, next day i came back i was a bit apprehensive but he was up and smiling no recollection of the days events previous, so started skimming the next ceiling everything going well made cups of tea etc, he walked off into the hallway and started talking to somebody, i looked round there was nobody there but he was having a good conversation, 2 hours later he started to talk to somebody beside me ,again there was nobody there, now i was really getting worried either this man has had a breakdown or he can genuinely see people there either way i was going, got job finished he gave me a cheuque , i got out and took cheuque straight to bank and paid it in, next day he was on the phone said the cheuque he had given me was going to bounce as he had no money in that account, sooo i went back he gave me another cheuque and i paid that straight into the bank, and the best thing is both cheuques went through okay, got paid twice for same job ,made up for the 2 days lost not gaining access, i come away and i think to myself how do i get these people.anyhoooo anybody still reading this at least i have helped to put a bit time in for you today because you could not get access to your jobs today

A classic, knocked for a while on a door of a job I was to do for a builder, he warned me "she is a bit tricky" Eventually she answered, I said I have come to look at the job rather than I am here to do the job as she looked mental, she said 'have a look and **** off" so I did, never went back....

When I was a lab I was doing a saturday with a mate. Knocking this door for 10-15 mins and my mate said **** it lets go still pay you. Turned out it was an old woman and it took her ages to get downstairs. Apparently she got the door open just in time to see us drive off lol

I have turned up at a job in the past to hack off, DPC then start rendering, in dinning room.

The client has answered the door given it the usual come in blah blah blah

Walked through to dinning room to find the family sat at the table eating breakfast. Then to be told "We will be out of your way in a min"

All arranged to be emptied carpet out etc BEFORE I get there.
all I can say is that there is a lot of balloons in this world he he

long story so ill just tell you the short version
did this job for a woman, bathroom wall to board over and skim round the bath and bog, she was supposed to take the paper off, toilet away and the shower screen down oh and some tiles. Got there and she hadnt done it any of it so i did it and left the sh!t in the garden (wasnt my wast) anyway did the job and got a cheque some weeks later after her telling me she isnt paying me because i left HER rubbish in the garden, in the end i told her if i dont get paid im coming round to smash it all off!!
The cheque kept bouncing and after 3 or 4 times the bank rang me to tell me that i cant keep submitting the cheque, the rules apparently, i knew the woman and she knew that id just started working for myself so she told me to keep bobbing it back in and she'll do what she can to keep resubmitting it in the hope the account will have some money in soon
i kept phoning the woman for the money and i told her ill be calling at her work to collect some cash, she said she didnt work there any more so she'll get some cash to me some how lol, it never happened. anyway one day near christmas i looked in the bank and there was £200+ extra in there, 'get in the cheque had cleared woohoo bonus' and after about 10 bounces too. Couldnt help feel sorry for the poor lad home on leave expecting a good christmas on the p!ss with the lads only to find hes paid £300+ in charges and £200+ for my wage

View attachment 1778

arriving at a job and its been done now thats more annoying
couples should talk 2 each other more

Went to do an insurance job, living room ceiling - water leak etc.. Furniture still in room, couple sat in their chairs smoking their heads off - huge ashtray on floor spilling onto the carpet, walls yellow and sticky.. You get he idea. Wallpaper peeling and they said hey weren't redecorating. They sat there bemused as we brought our sheets in.. '..do you want us to move..?' they said.. '..Nah, I'll just chuck a sheet over you..' Pricks!

Mate I did insurance work for 18mths and I had that at least once a week. Kids still in bed when we're meant to be ripping down their bedroom ceiling. Bloke having a shower whilst we're meant to be taking all the tiles off. Best one is the kitchen. ALWAYS full of crap. Tables stil in the room. Piles of **** on top of the units. I couldnt stand anymore so jacked it in

Alot of the time we never got the job until the evening before and most of the sheets never had a mumber or didn't answer. After a while you give up . The annoying thing was the office would never back you up. They told us never move furniture and told the customer we'd do it. I went back and forth to a job in Worcester about 5 times to insulate a loft because the customer wouldn't take their **** down but kept telling the office it was empty. Got to the stage where we were taking pics to prove it.

Did a shared house, insurance job again - Chinese occupants and kitchen ceiling to do.
Clothes strewn around, pan half full of old rice on cooker. Cooker swimming with grease. Grease on floor, on worktops, and top of cupboards. Sticking to everything we touched. Glad to get away tbh. Letting agents had already warned them about leaving it a shoitehole..

I used to do Insurance, but got pizzed of with the **** that happens.Turned up ! day and the settee etc were in the room, so i thought oh **** it ill tosh it on and if thats the end of then so be, PVA, plaster splashes etc all over the settee and carpet,the customer said fwack all and i still got paid and more work.

I used to do Insurance, but got pizzed of with the **** that happens.Turned up ! day and the settee etc were in the room, so i thought oh **** it ill tosh it on and if thats the end of then so be, PVA, plaster splashes etc all over the settee and carpet,the customer said fwack all and i still got paid and more work.

I remember that you rough c**t lol.
You sent me this pic :RpS_laugh:

photo-1999.jpg

Mind you, you had been drinking that day :RpS_biggrin:

photo-1796.jpg

God I remember them days! The guy I worked for when I started out done alot of insurance jobs, and it seemed just general real sh!t work. Work for builders were we where to flatten ceilings in rooms with half the floor boards missing, rooms full of furniture, ceilings yellow from smoking, you get the idea.

I still cant understand to this day why we did it, he wasn't desperate for the work, alot of the time he was turning jobs away. Id often say to him when we would turn up on the shitholes, why are we here? We dont need to do this, there was always another job that needed doing!

It wasn't until one day we turned up to a job, knocked the door and a geezer answered it that could barely string a sentence together, he showed us the water damaged ceiling that needed repair in his lounge, his mate sat on the sofa, needles on the coffee table. As we went out to get sheets I said to my boss "you're on your own here mate" as I climbed in the front of the van. He quickly followed me and we left.

**** that, you've got to draw the line somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.