Are you lads busy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.p.t plastering

I had a 2 week job cancel on me, and been really quiet for 2 weeks now, the phone not rang at all...Worrying times!

You boys keeping busy?

just ticking over marra.......since the school summer holidays its defo slowed. should pick up leading up to crimbo though.

okay for next 4 weeks but phone not ringing at all lately, even picked it up today to see if it was working, and it is working, but same all over and in all honesty i think it is going to get worse leading up to christmas, 1 decent size builder in carlisle been paying his men off ironically not through lack of work but because of the prices going in for jobs off other builders, really cut throat prices, so rightly or wrongly he has took the decision that he can no longer carry on like this and financially just not worth it so paid his lads off , this follows on from another builder who has gone bust after being established 70 , i say again in case anybody missed that seventy years ,had plenty of work on but basically buying work just to keep his workforce of 27 in a job, meant well but sadly gone down, as i have mentioned in a previous thread titled the good times have gone , the good times have indeed gone , and before anybody thinks that heres hector off again, seriously this recession is going to get much worse, one other thing i have noticed this last year or so in carlisle is the ammount of people setting up as plasterers/brickies/plumbers etc just do not see where the work is ,so spt plastering as you say it is worrying times all best hector

okay for next 4 weeks but phone not ringing at all lately, even picked it up today to see if it was working, and it is working, but same all over and in all honesty i think it is going to get worse leading up to christmas, 1 decent size builder in carlisle been paying his men off ironically not through lack of work but because of the prices going in for jobs off other builders, really cut throat prices, so rightly or wrongly he has took the decision that he can no longer carry on like this and financially just not worth it so paid his lads off , this follows on from another builder who has gone bust after being established 70 , i say again in case anybody missed that seventy years ,had plenty of work on but basically buying work just to keep his workforce of 27 in a job, meant well but sadly gone down, as i have mentioned in a previous thread titled the good times have gone , the good times have indeed gone , and before anybody thinks that heres hector off again, seriously this recession is going to get much worse, one other thing i have noticed this last year or so in carlisle is the ammount of people setting up as plasterers/brickies/plumbers etc just do not see where the work is ,so spt plastering as you say it is worrying times all best hector

That'll cheer him up Hector....talk about kicking a man when he's down.:RpS_scared:

I think it depends on where you are in the country, and how well you market yourself. oh and obviously how good or s**t you are.
Not everyone's in the same boat, and its not the same everywhere.

That'll cheer him up Hector....talk about kicking a man when he's down.:RpS_scared:

glad to have been of help dannymac, often wondered why i always get invites to the samaritans xmas dances, its because i put a lot of buisness there way,

I think it depends on where you are in the country, and how well you market yourself. oh and obviously how good or s**t you are.
Not everyone's in the same boat, and its not the same everywhere.
agree with every word you say airborne ,

where is the number for the samaritans . Am not saying your right or wrong Hector my thinking on this is "Where the mind goes energy flows".

I bet A&E and the ambulance crews hate you though. :-0

no not at all i am on first name terms with them , in fact they say if they ever pick me up there going to go the scenic route to hospital, none of this screaming down the road sirens blaring, quite touched and overcome with emotion they think so highly of me

dont agree with you there pal,

depends where you are located and what you do.
with out gloating, were turning stuff away at present due to existing workload,[there are currently 5 of us] and i know of plenty who are doing the same and other members off here who i speak on a regular basis to are the same.

i put up 6 grand of plastering up on here a while ago paying top money and with a very loose time frame and didnt get one enquiry from it, so not everyone can be quiet.
depends how you market yourself what contacts you have and what kind of work you under take, this 'recession' is talked up by the media and the like.

keepyour chin up, and get out there, and get on with it.

Last edited:
where is the number for the samaritans . Am not saying your right or wrong Hector my thinking on this is "Where the mind goes energy flows".

been sitting here just reading this henry i like that saying very good

certainly dont disagree with one word you are saying owls., problem is there are more and more comments like this from plasterers all over the country , and just think of all the ones who read these threads but dont reply , in all honesty i think we are both right all best hector

I'm alright for the rest of this year at least, doing 6 days a week. Got quite good rates too. Phone is dead though.

certainly dont disagree with one word you are saying owls., problem is there are more and more comments like this from plasterers all over the country , and just think of all the ones who read these threads but dont reply , in all honesty i think we are both right all best hector

always on the bright side eh.
thats why i dont usually come in the plastering section on here cos of doom merchants like yer self. :-0

i know how my year usually pans out. august is the slowest month, as most people go off on holiday and the last thing that they are thinking about is plastering. sept till christmas the busiest. jan to easter, city boys get there bonus. then easter till august everyone wants something done.

i know how my year usually pans out. august is the slowest month, as most people go off on holiday and the last thing that they are thinking about is plastering. sept till christmas the busiest. jan to easter, city boys get there bonus. then easter till august everyone wants something done.

Malc you forgot all the people that ring u up from now till crimbo asking for rendering jobs done.....................:RpS_thumbdn:

The news is full of it gloom and doom dont watch it anymore it's just default veiwing like a lot of shite on the telly.
Hector to know whether you are sending out a postive or negative thoughts , simply take a look at the results your'e getting in that area of your life. They are just a reflection of what your thinking or sending out there . And that goes for us all.

Well just today I've heard of three plastering companies going under, one was owed 200k. IMO anyone allowing the situation to spiral out of control to the point where you're owed 200k deserves to go under.
Another had a shite reputation so no sympathy there, don't know much of the other one.
Personally we're doing OK. Getting good prices and never the cheapest to quote on the jobs we get, which is how I like it.
Just had a decent sized job postponed until the end of January but within a day of finding out we've got another three houses and two extensions to price. There's definitely work out there and people willing to pay a premium for quality workmanship but you need to be able to talk the talk and walk the walk.

Well just today I've heard of three plastering companies going under, one was owed 200k. IMO anyone allowing the situation to spiral out of control to the point where you're owed 200k deserves to go under.
Another had a shite reputation so no sympathy there, don't know much of the other one.
Personally we're doing OK. Getting good prices and never the cheapest to quote on the jobs we get, which is how I like it.
Just had a decent sized job postponed until the end of January but within a day of finding out we've got another three houses and two extensions to price. There's definitely work out there and people willing to pay a premium for quality workmanship but you need to be able to talk the talk and walk the walk.
The difference Andy people now give a s**t about their house as it is the biggest investment they have so when work is done on it they will pay for the best they can afford ,so the guy saying "i can do that for £90 a day " they think twice

Malc you forgot all the people that ring u up from now till crimbo asking for rendering jobs done.....................:RpS_thumbdn:

just 2 rendering jobs booked. but there must be plenty of council ewi jobs at this time of year to complete by april, if you want a bit of hard work

i know of 1 essex plastering co. that have have got administrators in but that what happens if you work for builders/ developers.

i know of 1 essex plastering co. that have have got administrators in but that what happens if you work for builders/ developers.

Well I personally never and I mean never let the amount owed get out of control, I don't agree to extended payment terms and as a general rule I won't start a second job until the first has been paid up in full (less retention).
Oh and if they want to hold a 5% retention then I add 5% to my worked out price before I submit it. If they go bust before the retention is paid I've not lost out and obviously if I get it back after twelve months then happy days.

We're 7 days a week just now but its up and down all the time, famine and feast. Don't turn anything away so squeeze everything in where i can.

Well I personally never and I mean never let the amount owed get out of control, I don't agree to extended payment terms and as a general rule I won't start a second job until the first has been paid up in full (less retention).
Oh and if they want to hold a 5% retention then I add 5% to my worked out price before I submit it. If they go bust before the retention is paid I've not lost out and obviously if I get it back after twelve months then happy days.
yes but this firm where led into a position of false security, ie £80 ,000 first month, 80,000 second month,60,000 third month building co goes bust.another firm you they had traded with for 30 years bill £10,000 tells them £5,000 like it or lump it. goes to show no friends in business

Got about 10 weeks infront of me at the mo & 6 jobs to price up this coming week.

But i always remember - the jobs not yours until your actually on the job :RpS_wink:

I've had a couple of customers cancel recently & last December I had 3 jobs = 4 weeks work & all 3 cancelled due to either money, or didnt want the mess near to xmas & the one went on a xmas holiday.
So the whole of Decembers work disappeared in 2 days :-0
But I managed to get some work sorted but not for the full 4 weeks.

Good luck out there marras :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.