Are we to expensive?

Members online

Monkey Boy

So lads, (plus Jess of course...)
A while back someone started a thread about “are were to cheap?”
Generated allot of comments about pricing

I’m asking what do you think qualifies for the other end of the spectrum?
What defines a rip off? What falls over the line for being over priced? (When it comes to quality work performed may I add, not chancers charging for tosh)

Price is Subjective. Whats reasonable to one customer is expensive to another. Nobody wants to be the cheapest so charge what you want. Nobody batters and eyelid for sparkies & plumbers its just accepted they charge the most out of all the trades so f**k em. Charge decent money

i turned up to price an extension, knocked on the door, customer said i was plasterer no. 9, i turned round and got back into my van and drove away, and while i see where you are coming from monkey, it does not help our cause when we get situations like this

I just done a very small dining room walls only the previous spread priced £700 only thing needed doing was skirting line bonding out and a bit further up wall in places he told them 3 days! I did it in 1 for £450 Ya couldn’t make it up!

i turned up to price an extension, knocked on the door, customer said i was plasterer no. 9, i turned round and got back into my van and drove away, and while i see where you are coming from monkey, it does not help our cause when we get situations like this
You didn't though did ya. You went in and quoted and left thinking I've got no chance. Noone says you're plasterer number 9 at the doorstep and noone drives to a house to quote and turns away without taking a look

You didn't though did ya. You went in and quoted and left thinking I've got no chance. Noone says you're plasterer number 9 at the doorstep and noone drives to a house to quote and turns away without taking a look
well on this occasion, in this particular instance, it happened exactly the way i said nath,........ i did turn up,he did say what he said , and i did turn up and say what happened,........... i should also point out that i am 60 years old/no mortgage/semi retired/basically pick and choose my jobs/ work when i want to/ i do not need to or want to be spoken to by some bloke who is messing plasterers about the way he is/ this has never happened to me before, i have always done my best to put in a sensible realistic price, but i also am in a fortunate position to take no crap off anybody, either a customer or some body like you

i don’t usually price in the van.
make a point of arriving in the missus jaguar.
here’s the price take it or leave it , couldn’t give a f@@&.

in no particular order
1.went to price a job ,house was disgusting,parents swearing in front of there 4 year old boy,,cigarettes just trod into the carpet etc etc, i did not want the job, put in a stupid over the top price and i still got the job.
2.went to price a job , house disgusting,said to customer just going to get my tape measure , got in the van and drove off
3.went to price a job, somehow got into an arguement with customer over forthcoming general election, never got that job.
4.went to price a job, every thing seemed fine, then i noticed dog s..t all over the carpet engrained in , got in van drove off
5.went to price a job, got the job ,ended up attacking customer, got arrested and charged with common assault, fined 184.00 quid, approx 4/5 years ago nath,details are on this forum under i think got arrested today,
i and spreads my age could tell you stories nath,

in no particular order
1.went to price a job ,house was disgusting,parents swearing in front of there 4 year old boy,,cigarettes just trod into the carpet etc etc, i did not want the job, put in a stupid over the top price and i still got the job.
2.went to price a job , house disgusting,said to customer just going to get my tape measure , got in the van and drove off
3.went to price a job, somehow got into an arguement with customer over forthcoming general election, never got that job.
4.went to price a job, every thing seemed fine, then i noticed dog s..t all over the carpet engrained in , got in van drove off
5.went to price a job, got the job ,ended up attacking customer, got arrested and charged with common assault, fined 184.00 quid, approx 4/5 years ago nath,details are on this forum under i think got arrested today,

wow number 5 looool wasn’t expecting that ha ha you hero , great read this morning actually laughing whilst having my morning pony

Bastards only told me on the day I was working! Otherwise it would of been £695 :ROFLMAO:
:LOL: Just learn a little lesson by it then mate, always ask if they’ve had any other quotes and how much was they? before you put your price in. I’ve done it loads of times in the past.

in no particular order
Yoo cherry pick all best happy xx

In all fairness I might, it would bother me he’d had nine plasterers out and not one had stayed or been accepted

:LOL: Just learn a little lesson by it then mate, always ask if they’ve had any other quotes and how much was they? before you put your price in. I’ve done it loads of times in the past.
I’d never ask how much another plasterer has quoted while I’m there quoting it’s up to the customer if they want to disclose that information! I’m not bothered about giving silly prices a fair price for a good days graft is all I’m bothered about

There is no such thing as ripping someone off if your leaving a guaranteed professional finish..ripping off is someone who charges you a £35 admin fee charge to change your name and address over phone on say a insurance document etc,that's the essence of ripping off.ripping off is when somebody charges you alot or peanuts for a shoddy finish at the end.this is why so many plasterers are as thick as pig s**t thinking this way and will never command the rates of say a plumber 4 fitting a central heating system that takes a day and half and charge anything at £3k plus

Last week hector I went to look at job,full house absoloute s**t hole..said there want full house doing said we are getting the standard 3 quotes so I said yes thats fine,they said we have had 1 already off my sisters boyfrieds brother who is a plasterer and works for the council but he's too busy so can't do it so I said straight with all due respect you can bin that one for a start.dont think there liked my attitude,cudnt careless so I thought of a number in my head and said £10000 madam.. havnt heard back yet,I'm same as you I can cherry pick

There is no such thing as ripping someone off if your leaving a guaranteed professional finish..ripping off is someone who charges you a £35 admin fee charge to change your name and address over phone on say a insurance document etc,that's the essence of ripping off.ripping off is when somebody charges you alot or peanuts for a shoddy finish at the end.this is why so many plasterers are as thick as pig s**t thinking this way and will never command the rates of say a plumber 4 fitting a central heating system that takes a day and half and charge anything at £3k plus
I get what your saying but there’s a roof level of what to charge for any job! To say skim a standard size bedroom just overskim days work if anyone on here is charging say over £600 there crooks!

I get what your saying but there’s a roof level of what to charge for any job! To say skim a standard size bedroom just overskim days work if anyone on here is charging say over £600 there crooks!

Not really, they'd be expensive. If a plasterer turns up to quote for that room and says to the customer that it will be a grand the customer can accept or decline.

It's the same principle for buying anything, I think the legal description is "invitation to treat". The key bit being 'invitation' which can be accepted or declined.

Eh,trading standards take people to court for ripping people off do they not.

Not really, they'd be expensive. If a plasterer turns up to quote for that room and says to the customer that it will be a grand the customer can accept or decline.

It's the same principle for buying anything, I think the legal description is "invitation to treat". The key bit being 'invitation' which can be accepted or declined.
Some people have no idea of building costs and can easily be misled the elderly for example,
Us all as tradesman have to give our customers a 7-day cooling off period to protect the vulnerable, they do not have to pay for the work unless they have signed to say hey they are happy to proceed.

Some people have no idea of building costs and can easily be misled the elderly for example,
Us all as tradesman have to give our customers a 7-day cooling off period to protect the vulnerable, they do not have to pay for the work unless they have signed to say hey they are happy to proceed.

Which is where 'Caveat Emptor' comes in. If you're buying something and have no idea how much it will cost you get multiple quotes, do some research or don't care/take your chances.

If someone quotes a grand for a reskim and the customer can afford it and is happy to pay it there's no con, rip off or sharp practice.

If companies discuss prices, decide what's fair, and charge the same then they're breaking the law as that's price fixing.

Cmon it’s morally wrong to charge what you know in your own head will only take a days hard graft to take home £600 is more than any man in this trade should be charging for a days work! We ain’t doctors ffs!