Are the self maintenance aspects of silicone and monocouche render over-rated?

There a house me on road side that's been done in silicon. It's now grubby from traffic . I.d actually like to go clean it see what it comes.up.like

How long have they been used for rendering also, I dont want to use anything that hasnt been tested by time! Is good old sand and cement still superior, or are their supporters afraid of change???

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...ouche-render-over-rated.584339/#ixzz7HF1YAlEQ
Sand and cement is just a superior Sand and cement gauged and measured with exactly the right amount of additives and reinforced with mesh and A thick coat of silicon paint that’s more durable than any masonry paint.

How long have they been used for rendering also, I dont want to use anything that hasnt been tested by time! Is good old sand and cement still superior, or are their supporters afraid of change???

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...ouche-render-over-rated.584339/#ixzz7HF1YAlEQ
There's nothing at all superior about sand and cement a silicone render system will stay cleaner looking the longest but anything you do should be looked after no leaking gutters dripping down it things like that the only people using sand and cement these day's will be ready for retirement and not up with the times

Thin coat is just a superior Sand and cement gauged and measured with exactly the right amount of additives and reinforced with mesh and A thick coat of silicon paint that’s more durable than any masonry paint.
Correction

There's nothing at all superior about sand and cement a silicone render system will stay cleaner looking the longest but anything you do should be looked after no leaking gutters dripping down it things like that the only people using sand and cement these day's will be ready for retirement and not up with the times
1641586770121.png

If you think that looks good you must be ready for retirement? I must be ready for retirement.

Used to mix my own renders then started to love the ocr now I really started to appreciate monocouche is a great product just my own personal opinion.

What on earth makes you think I think that looks good completely stupid comment that could be anything and look coved in s**t down to bad design
What on earth makes you think I think that looks good completely stupid comment that could be anything and look coved in s**t down to bad design
It could be when you posted a comment saying (a silicone render system will stay cleaner)?

the fact that is down 1 elevation suggests its a design fault roof line i would say.

with these modern renders it keeps the dirt surfaced.

a soft wash will.sort that muck out and look fresh
It's real easy to see they are drip marks from above and have nothing at all to do with the type of render
It could be when you posted a comment saying (a silicone render system will stay cleaner)?

They are clearly drip marks from above doofy read my original comment again s**t dripping from above will make anything below look dirty my post clearly mentions s**t dripping down it and then you post a photo of an elevation with 20 drip marks on it

They are clearly drip marks from above doofy read my original comment again s**t dripping from above will make anything below look dirty my post clearly mentions s**t dripping down it and then you post a photo of an elevation with 20 drip marks on it

They are not drip marks.

It was part of the design brief at a new rhubarb factory that I worked on.

See

9573CCC7-83D2-4CB9-8D01-D83569BDF7E1.jpeg

Blokes who carry out modern render work will always defend it, as it pays their mortgages.....
time will tell about the durability of the product
Everything gets weathered over time nothing is made to last forever the trade is always evolving and sand and cement is old hat and rarely asked for or used these days plus half the jobs I price are to take off old sand and cement that's blown and falling off to replace with the new stuff that's coloured so they don't have to paint it

Everything gets weathered over time nothing is made to last forever the trade is always evolving and sand and cement is old hat and rarely asked for or used these days plus half the jobs I price are to take off old sand and cement that's blown and falling off to replace with the new stuff that's coloured so they don't have to paint it
blokes who can only do sand cement will defend it as it pays their mortgage.lol

It's the best paid part of the plastering spectrum by a mile get good and watch the money roll in buddy
hahah that ship has sailed for me...

I dont think I could sell render to a customer now because I hate it so much. I see lots of houses getting rendered near me and every one looks shite in a 12 months....

Blokes who carry out modern render work will always defend it, as it pays their mortgages.....
time will tell about the durability of the product
I’ve been using scratch renders nearly 20 years now, I did an apprenticeship and sand cement was the only option. No panel is maintainence free, but you can seal a mono render with a good sealant on completion to help your cause. any north facing will dirt up and without correct planning of coping’s/roof details. a good sand cement will last a long time, but it will need maintainence ie painting etc, and forgetting that, my days of hand balling sand cement gear on walls went out with the cassette player, and getting shite quality sand etc I guess you can always use pre bagged ocr gear and paint.
we have moved mainly onto Bucket renders these days due to its flexability and better weathering qualities, and the way we build is changing. The amount of timber frame/durisol/icf builds is increasing, we use thin coats on them all, 10 years ago none of these were a thing. Ewi over the next few years will be more to the fore due to epc ratings on rentals and heating bills on the rapid increase, again a few years ago I may have done one remotely now it’s 20% of our projects. Like any trade you need to move with the times.
Rendering isn’t a get rich quick though, it’s essentially a 9 month a year occupation, I’ve done alright out if it, only because I’ve scaled up and take on meaty projects with margins on running decent projects,but there’s easier ways of making a living that’s less toll on your body and less stress fretting over weather etc, I’m 41 now I’ll be out of the industry by my mid 40s.

I’ve been using scratch renders nearly 20 years now, I did an apprenticeship and sand cement was the only option. No panel is maintainence free, but you can seal a mono render with a good sealant on completion to help your cause. any north facing will dirt up and without correct planning of coping’s/roof details. a good sand cement will last a long time, but it will need maintainence ie painting etc, and forgetting that, my days of hand balling sand cement gear on walls went out with the cassette player, and getting shite quality sand etc I guess you can always use pre bagged ocr gear and paint.
we have moved mainly onto Bucket renders these days due to its flexability and better weathering qualities, and the way we build is changing. The amount of timber frame/durisol/icf builds is increasing, we use thin coats on them all, 10 years ago none of these were a thing. Ewi over the next few years will be more to the fore due to epc ratings on rentals and heating bills on the rapid increase, again a few years ago I may have done one remotely now it’s 20% of our projects. Like any trade you need to move with the times.
Rendering isn’t a get rich quick though, it’s essentially a 9 month a year occupation, I’ve done alright out if it, only because I’ve scaled up and take on meaty projects with margins on running decent projects,but there’s easier ways of making a living that’s less toll on your body and less stress fretting over weather etc, I’m 41 now I’ll be out of the industry by my mid 40s.
It’s been the opposite for me, when I was running more lads more equipment and vans my overhead’s and stress/time was hard to keep up with, I was chasing lead’s and pricing competitive,
I’ve got 2 labs now coming in cheaper than 1 applicator, Still have as many enquiries so pick the best off the bunch and go in top end, I don’t need to quote much to keep us in work 12 months in advance and make more than ever before,
My body feels it on a night though being the only one that can work the gear

It’s been the opposite for me, when I was running more lads more equipment and vans my overhead’s and stress/time was hard to keep up with, I was chasing lead’s and pricing competitive,
I’ve got 2 labs now coming in cheaper than 1 applicator, Still have as many enquiries so pick the best off the bunch and go in top end, I don’t need to quote much to keep us in work 12 months in advance and make more than ever before,
My body feels it on a night though being the only one that can work the gear
Finding decent labourers is an art in itself.

Probably only ten more years left for us all anyhow in trade , just watch Elon musk interview on YouTube, robots will be taking over everything , I’d put £50 on it too

Probably only ten more years left for us all anyhow in trade , just watch Elon musk interview on YouTube, robots will be taking over everything , I’d put £50 on it too
Musk grossly exaggerates everything especially related to timelines, dont worry about it.

looks like I will just have to wait, I was prepared to pay almost double average, scammy long-stocking quoted 500% though pmsl.