Arch Formers

Stevieo

Royal Spin Doctor
What's the general consensus on these?

They work alright but they seem a bit on the flimsy side?

Common sense to use them or the work of an amateur?

If the brickwork is straight they are ok but I’ve found them s**t full stop.
Who has arches now as they are 1970,s.

I've got a truly humongous room to break up a bit. It's kind of like 3 rooms side by side.

The customer is thinking of partitioning it off but he's umming about cash.

I've advised him that he should be building his wall now while the place is in s**t state, not coming back to it when everything is finished.

So I was thinking an archway would put the stud wall in place for him which he could alter later

Once set up i always put a plastic arch bead over the top to finish to. Remember the middle sections that were seperate, do they still do them?

Just another thing I refuse to do. Like rendering I'll only do bungalows, no climbing about. And no labourer.

Never used kits , the idea seems an expensive DIY option

I use mini mesh , the high side snipped every 20 mm

I've got a truly humongous room to break up a bit. It's kind of like 3 rooms side by side.

The customer is thinking of partitioning it off but he's umming about cash.

I've advised him that he should be building his wall now while the place is in s**t state, not coming back to it when everything is finished.

So I was thinking an archway would put the stud wall in place for him which he could alter later
If he's low on cash making arches isn't a good idea. Whichever way it's done it's labour intensive to get right

I've done that before. Long time ago though.

Do I remember hardboard with a castelated backing for bending?
No just use thin stuff that bends easy but is rigid enough to hold its shape when pushed up into the arch , then fix in center with clout nails every few inches but do not drive all the way in so they do not distort the shape and can be removed easy .

No just use thin stuff that bends easy but is rigid enough to hold its shape when pushed up into the arch , then fix in center with clout nails every few inches but do not drive all the way in so they do not distort the shape and can be removed easy .
Yeah then score the board and push it on to the arch.

Doesn't matter now anyway. He didn't go for it

a local bricklayer his nickname is Archie. he can build an arch. his has a large collection of templates and for a small arch i have seen him take the wheel off his Toyota land cruiser and use that as a template.

a local bricklayer his nickname is Archie. he can build an arch. his has a large collection of templates and for a small arch i have seen him take the wheel off his Toyota land cruiser and use that as a template.
I love brick arches. Stockport should be a national treasure for that reason!

If need help pm me with photo and will do you a guide pal
Appreciate it.

I've done a couple of them long time ago. Back when I was doing conservatory bases..

Like someone said, not much call for them now.

All it was is the room is like 12m long so the customer was thinking aloud about creating another room.

Didn't like the €1200 it'd cost though.

Liked it still less when I told him it'd be even more if I had to come back after it was all perfect.

I figured an arch would have got the breaking the ceiling out of the way now but he didn't go for it.

I doubt it'll come up again in a hurry. Like someone said, they're not very popular these days.

f**k the arch formers

Attachments

• 20200730_135156.jpg
    20200730_135156.jpg
    755.3 KB · Views: 222