apu bead (window seal bead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasterjfe

Private Member
We use these on various systems for the junction where a thin coat render meets window frames and soffit. Now it is the spec on most systems now to properly seal off the system at a window frame, otherwise your into backwrapping and thats a chew on. All the systems spec em and I should think that there must be thoushands getting installed on funded council work so.

Why is it when we get lads on board from time to time that have done hundreds of funded houses they have never seen an apu bead or know how to fit them and instead insist on just rendering onto the window and then sealing after ? ?
why is that ?
I have done more demos on how to fit and render up to an apu bead than I care to think about now... my head hurts

but the bigger question is - WTF is happening on the council sites and to the spec of the systems who tell you that the apu bead must be installed ?

as with most systems with incorrect fitting there storing up problems down the line, cutting corners to meet tight deadlines as well the need to earn a wage on more often than not poor rates.

Maybe it is spec,ed but not on site. Urban West knows about them but don't stock em?

I have bought in my own so no more cutting out an expansion gap with a small tool.

Apu beads are great on new builds and new frames, useless on dusty,wet, dirt ingrained or algae covered windows.

Unless the frame is clean the adhesive will, in time, pull away from the frame, storing up problems for the future... can't see too many contractors wanting to polish those frames before work even starts!

Apu beads are great on new builds and new frames, useless on dusty,wet, dirt ingrained or algae covered windows.

Unless the frame is clean the adhesive will, in time, pull away from the frame, storing up problems for the future... can't see too many contractors wanting to polish those frames before work even starts!

bit of jiff on a rag sorts it.

so is down to the old silicone sealer?

Many of the render system manufacturers give you a number of possible options at window and door junctions. Commonly it might say you can use an apu bead or render up to the window and mastic seal. On funded work I guess people go for the cheapest option most of the time and just mastic seal around the windows.

An Apu bead would be a better detail but can't see many getting used on funded jobs.

quality and good detailing seems to be getting lost along the way on these big housing jobs.

Maybe it is spec,ed but not on site. Urban West knows about them but don't stock em?

I have bought in my own so no more cutting out an expansion gap with a small tool.

Do you mean they want you to place 2 stops back to back then cut back the topcoat to reveal the beads?

Status
Not open for further replies.