Apprenticeship help....

Members online

bingo

Hi,
My son has just started working with me. 16 years old, passed his cscs health an safety test an is on site with me. I set him up as sole trader/ self employed but now ive been told he needs to stay in education/ training till hes 18 aswell. Can he just do short college course outside of work an that be okay?
Id rather him not do an apprenticeship through the college system. Id rather pay a training provider to assess him when hes ready to get any nvq.

Any advice off anyone much appreciated
Thanks

Hi,
My son has just started working with me. 16 years old, passed his cscs health an safety test an is on site with me. I set him up as sole trader/ self employed but now ive been told he needs to stay in education/ training till hes 18 aswell. Can he just do short college course outside of work an that be okay?
Id rather him not do an apprenticeship through the college system. Id rather pay a training provider to assess him when hes ready to get any nvq.

Thanks
Let him go through the system,agreed that you learn absoloute nothing at college but its better in the long run for him etc with having done 2-3 years at college, you would only lose him for a day a week and you can claim grants etc to cover costs

Thanks for the reply... i Presume its okay for me as a sole trader to set up to pay him as PAYE as thats what the apprenticeships department said id need to do?

Hi,

Thanks
Why let your son go through the same s**t job you do,

I’m guessing so he doesn’t have to pay national insurance, pension cont, holiday pay etc
Seems an odd one, maybe he hasn’t explained it properly, as to me as an outsider he’s shafting him.
I think i haven't explained well. I didnt want him to go to college on an apprenticeship id rather train him myself an pay for his assessments in any nvqs in plastering/rendering myself when hes competant.My issue which i wanted advice for was about 16 /18 year olds needing to stay in education. I thought he can be self employed, work with me full time get his tax paid cis an do a return as others do. As for having him over, im lucky that im in a position pay him a hell of a lot more than an apprentice wage.

I’m just finishing up my second year and nvq, definitely worth putting the lad through the books and putting through the college system, you’ll get citb grants to help you through it. Might’ve just been the college I went to but I reckon I learnt a decent amount from college, learning from your boss and a couple others can help learn different ways of working to be fair

I think i haven't explained well. I didnt want him to go to college on an apprenticeship id rather train him myself an pay for his assessments in any nvqs in plastering/rendering myself when hes competant.My issue which i wanted advice for was about 16 /18 year olds needing to stay in education. I thought he can be self employed, work with me full time get his tax paid cis an do a return as others do. As for having him over, im lucky that im in a position pay him a hell of a lot more than an apprentice wage.

I apologise of course you have his best intrests at heart

I’m just finishing up my second year and nvq, definitely worth putting the lad through the books and putting through the college system, you’ll get citb grants to help you through it. Might’ve just been the college I went to but I reckon I learnt a decent amount from college, learning from your boss and a couple others can help learn different ways of working to be fair
Thanks for your input.Appreiciate it

Reactions: LTJ
It didn't come across like you was shafting him to me,you asked a simple question

I did my apprenticeship with my dads firm at 17, in the late 90s. went to college for 3 years up to nvq3.I’m glad I went down the college route with it, it made me a better all round plasterer with the theory aswell in My opinion.

I did my apprenticeship with my dads firm at 17, in the late 90s. went to college for 3 years.I’m glad I went down the college route with it, it made me a better all round plasterer with the theory aswell in My opinion.
Thanks, i did myself 1996/1999
i was just going off some opinion what others have told me regarding the college courses today. Maybe give it a chance an see how it goes.

Neither apprenticeship nor college is better. How about dem apples?

It really depends on where your “learning style” is in combination with financial situations at starting. If you have manual dexterity, you can make big money in it.

Take something as simple as: fish tanks. You can be a fish tank repairer… or you can have a show making luxurious fish tanks… making incredible money.

It really depends on the person and how you take your training to a level of independence (able to soar like an eagle).

West Coast Choppers is another example of building motorcycles that are unique.

College is for intellectual pursuits. For example, leaders in the field that are expanding the horizons in science, business, and liberal arts. They end up writing really enticing books, giving brain food lectures, or inventing/discovering something completely new.

It really depends on you and your ability to meet these goals. The question is: which can take you further in life?

So no matter how you slice it, if you are either a great craftsmen or intellectual, you’ll be useful to society. That’s the best part, you have a right to choose your destiny.

It really depends on where your “learning style” is in combination with financial situations at starting. If you have manual dexterity, you can make big money in it.

Take something as simple as: fish tanks. You can be a fish tank repairer… or you can have a show making luxurious fish tanks… making incredible money.

It really depends on the person and how you take your training to a level of independence (able to soar like an eagle).

College is for intellectual pursuits. For example, leaders in the field that are expanding the horizons in science, business, and liberal arts. They end up writing really enticing books, giving brain food lectures, or inventing/discovering something completely new.

It really depends on you and your ability to meet these goals. The question is: which can take you further in life?

So no matter how you slice it, if you are either a great craftsmen or intellectual, you’ll be useful to society. That’s the best part, you have a right to choose your destiny.
jack black wtf GIF

Mate its only F*****g skimming!

Monkeys have manual dexterity but would they know the difference between lime mortar and cement mortar? The skill combined with the knowledge is the only way.

If he can't stand on a bit of scaffold pole better than that while doing the job he'll never make it on some of the sites I go on!

So you're not allowed to decide your own destiny at 16 when leaving school, and you must be an employee/wage slave or a student now?
I was one of the last to be allowed to leave at 15, quite a lot a of my year did. several went self employed/family trades almost from the off, made mistakes but weren't academic or very employable - and made it, a couple of them big time. One of them became a trucker like his dad, has a decent haulage firm now.

I told careers advice person I wanted to be a grease monkey. She said I should do engineering. I went to college for it and within 2 hours I walked out and went to the fair down the road and my life went downhill from there till I was about 28!!!