Apprentice?!

Members online

I had a meeting with a rep from a collage regarding taking on an apprentice then 3 days later he's starting!? I'm really under prepared and have been considering writing up a "roles and responsibilities" document and some sort of safety thing to give him some guidelines. Is this worth doing and any one got one I can see /steal ?
Could use some advise on this and taking an apprentice if you've done this before guys?
Thanks

Long time age for me but did put a lad through college for 3yrs he went to college every Tuesday.

I had a general roles, responsibilities.

Most importantly work hours, holiday and hourly rates etc.

Weekend and overtime rates etc.

Most importantly for me I'm very. Very old school and my last lad had only just turned 16 and I went around and took his contract round to his house to meet his parents.

It gave me the opportunity to explain what I would be expecting and likewise gave them an opportunity to ask any questions.

Worked out really well through his apprentaship and I believe it helped that his parents were also on board to also ensure he had his arse outside at 7am every morning without having to phone or knock etc.

writing roles? giving him health and sefety?

we got an apprentice. and he starts at the bottom and works his way to a trowel. never done any structured or paperwork crap.

1st 4 months he never got to.use a trowel unless he could get cleaned and prepped quick enough to have a go at troweling up

Tbh...I seem to remember that with regards to health and safety etc I was more guided by college at the time...

There again it was probably 10yrs ago I guess a lot has probably changed!

Iv just got 1 he's Alryt cleans up mixes up sound You can have them on a week trail first see how it goes before signing the paperwork

I signed it all without reading it... daft I know but who's got the time. Well he starts tomorrow so fingers crossed he's got good work ethic and knows how to valet a van lol

I signed it all without looking but luckily mines been good up to now plus it's only for a year and the grant I get covers him anyway . Hopefully he can clean a van

I signed it all without looking but luckily mines been good up to now plus it's only for a year and the grant I get covers him anyway . Hopefully he can clean a van
If not tell him he tipped your best trowel in the skip first thing
Send him rooting while it's pissing down
Soon whip him into shape

Gud luck ull need it..waste of time these days u mite get lucky tho and get a gud 1..all our lads have jacked a year in as cudnt handle it..dsnt help with college tutors saying there will make loads of money once qualified as there do that as been told

Sad fact most lads will admit defeat at first struggle with no embarrassment attached, don't seem bothered looking like a half wit or wimp to the point of crying if it gets them out of it.
Not saying all but defo summin not gone right in the breeding we have a sub species amongst us with frontal lobe missing incapable of thinking for self and controlled seemingly only by the ping of their phones.

I waiting for my nephew to leave school he is proper into any building type work and has already asked to come out on job's

I remember how hard my apprenticeship was, mixing up for months on end, virtually no trowel time. Having to take criticism on the chin even though I was doing my best. I only started learning once I was qualified and my boss employed another apprentice and I was at improver level. It takes some real perseverance to get through an apprenticeship.

Well I spent mine with my dad .. That says enough I don't think anyone can be tougher on you than him so if you survive that .. The futures bright. Haha
That man had me skimming walls for 35 quid a day for about a year and a half and still would have me on it now if I didn't go on my own.
But like you say young lads these days can't handle it after a week , there like a broken man I always debate on a labourer but couldn't be doing with being let down and the mistakes I think you've got to be a patient guy for taking them on so good on you for that!

I've tried a few times to get a lad for labouring and teaching. Never lasted more than a week. It's that look they give you when you ask them to sweep up that tips me over the edge. I get my daughter to help out now and again. s**t hot labourer but no interest in learning the trade.

I have my nephew starting for me next weeks for 4 weeks before he starts uni to study to be an architect. Hes 6ft 4 and a judo black belt so ive purchased some Bill Cosby "special additive" if he wants a brew :risas:

I've tried a few times to get a lad for labouring and teaching. Never lasted more than a week. It's that look they give you when you ask them to sweep up that tips me over the edge. I get my daughter to help out now and again. s**t hot labourer but no interest in learning the trade.
Bang rite pug..that look of disgust if u ask them to bring some bags up them stairs..i nearly killed 1 lad plenty of times as everytime I asked him to do sumat he just let out a grone

Patience is a big one taking on apprentice, I would find it hard tbh. My das a plumber an sacked his, said he was always waiting 15mins in morning always on phone couldnt use any tool. And this is the best one, carrying a bath up the stairs his phone goes and he trys to put bath down half way up to answer phone lol

I had a meeting with a rep from a collage regarding taking on an apprentice then 3 days later he's starting!? I'm really under prepared and have been considering writing up a "roles and responsibilities" document and some sort of safety thing to give him some guidelines. Is this worth doing and any one got one I can see /steal ?
Could use some advise on this and taking an apprentice if you've done this before guys?
Thanks
Get a proper contract drawn up, most independant HR departments do them. mine cost about £300.00. It will state everything they need to know, hours, holidays, sick, performance. procedures for dismisal etc. As an apprentice your not acutually employing them or guaranteeing them employment, your just contracted to provide training for the duration of the apprenticeship.
It can be a minefield so a contract covers your ass