Apprentice questions

Vincey

Private Member
A few questions if any of you know would appreciate the help thanks , trying to get my stall in order for taking my apprentice on but really struggling as I just not got a clue about it all
Do I have to have him signed up to a contract before a certain date to get the funding ?
The college said I have to have a code for him but I haven’t a clue what code they were on about, the college said someone will ring with this code is this right ? Or should I be doing something to push for this
Thanks lads

Also any ideas on a contract or is there any like templates anywhere I could copy as such I’ve not got a clue what to write in it

Pete, taking on an apprentice is a big responsibility. It's not like buying the new favourite trowel from the states, that you can throw aside and run away in your caravan when things get too much for you. I'm not sure you're mentally stable enough to take this on

Pete, taking on an apprentice is a big responsibility. It's not like buying the new favourite trowel from the states, that you can throw aside and run away in your caravan when things get too much for you. I'm not sure you're mentally stable enough to take this on
Awesome!! :ROFLMAO:

The C.I.T.B construction industry training board funds apprenticeships here, I think it's national ? They help and give info all the way through the apprentice process.

The C.I.T.B construction industry training board funds apprenticeships here, I think it's national ? They help and give info all the way through the apprentice process.
Yes and once you get involved with the CITB it can be an expensive world of grief for a one man band for evermore.

Yes and once you get involved with the CITB it can be an expensive world of grief for a one man band for evermore.
If you have big turnover and a lot of staff and subbies then you pay a tariff every year to help fund apprenticeships. If you're a 1 man band with lower turnover you pay nothing ?
The grants towards training for all the stuff you are forced to do to trade are handy though !

Do you have to employ an apprentice?? What would happen if you got injured or wanted a month off would you still have to pay them etc

Approach CITB and they’ll help you no end. Don’t do it without them the grants are really helpful and they’ll deal with most of the crap to sort it.
You’ll get a government grant too so all in all its good.
As Andy said though, it’s a big commitment, you won’t get any real breaks because they would need paying still if you’re off. The paranoia of them hurting themselves and claiming is always there, keep an eye on employment law too to stay in the right side of it.
If you get a good one though they’re priceless, makes the days so so much easier.
Any advice Pete get in touch. I’ve had a few.

Thanks lads admit I’ll struggle with all this but it’s definitely happening I got some information off hmrc template contract just need to sort these numbers now no worries
I’m expanding this year so will be a lot of new things to learn

Thanks lads admit I’ll struggle with all this but it’s definitely happening I got some information off hmrc template contract just need to sort these numbers now no worries
I’m expanding this year so will be a lot of new things to learn
Are you limited Pete? I definitely wouldn't be taking on an apprentice as a self-employed bod.

If you expanding why you want a apprentice just employ a spread on sub contract basis! Hassle of teaching someone up take more of your time and you ain't got that if you're busy as a one man band.

A few questions if any of you know would appreciate the help thanks , trying to get my stall in order for taking my apprentice on but really struggling as I just not got a clue about it all
Do I have to have him signed up to a contract before a certain date to get the funding ?
The college said I have to have a code for him but I haven’t a clue what code they were on about, the college said someone will ring with this code is this right ? Or should I be doing something to push for this
Thanks lads
@puddove

If you expanding why you want a apprentice just employ a spread on sub contract basis! Hassle of teaching someone up take more of your time and you ain't got that if you're busy as a one man band.
The advantage of taking on an apprentice is that they can be taught how to do the work the way you like it done. Any subbies or plasterers you get, if they are good have plenty of work on.
The disadvantage is there are a lot of useless ones that you may have to try before you get a good one.
Stay away from family and friends who's boy/girl is looking for work, if it turns bad it will be all your fault.
You want someone not too bright or too thick , too bright they will be taking work off you in three year time, too thick it will be hard work teaching them.
Go for a long trial period before starting the paper work. Nothing wrong with keeping them on site with you for a year, then if you are both happy, start the apprenticeship.
Don't forget how bad you were when you were 16 years old.
Grant for taking on an apprentice is good but only if you can one that is willing to work.

OK, so, if understand you correctly, what you're basically saying is that he puts a facemask on whenever he Facetime's a friend on his iPhone?

Did I understand correctly? :coffe: