Apprentice question

LTJ

I’ve started flattening my second coat in the way I lay it on (up and down) and have been filling pits out which I haven’t been before. Used to give it a light as fuuck ‘cross trowel’ to close it in and get the lines out, but then got told to go up and down, is there a problem with doing it that way?

I’ve started flattening my second coat in the way I lay it on (up and down) and have been filling pits out which I haven’t been before. Used to give it a light as fuuck ‘cross trowel’ to close it in and get the lines out, but then got told to go up and down, is there a problem with doing it that way?

wax GIF

Basically mate I’ve been flattening from the skirting board going up after being told it’s the right way, but now I’m getting imperfections in my work. Used to lay on my second coat and then lightly cross trowel it as my flatten and it seemed to fill any faces or imperfections better. Is cross troweling to flatten it wrong in any way

As long as your making a nice job and getting up the meters u need to do how the f**k u want it’s simple really

Reactions: LTJ
Basically mate I’ve been flattening from the skirting board going up after being told it’s the right way, but now I’m getting imperfections in my work. Used to lay on my second coat and then lightly cross trowel it as my flatten and it seemed to fill any faces or imperfections better. Is cross troweling to flatten it wrong in any way
You cant flatten going from side to side mate your wall will look like the ocean,you can go side to side when the wall has picked up and cross trowelling etc.up and down for flattening you might be a eager beaver and jumping on it too early thats why ur getting imperfections,and make sure your only using a proper trowel 4 1st 2 years from start to finish

You cant flatten going from side to side mate your wall will look like the ocean,you can go side to side when the wall has picked up and cross trowelling etc.up and down for flattening you might be a eager beaver and jumping on it too early thats why ur getting imperfections,and make sure your only using a proper trowel 4 1st 2 years from start to finish
Cheers mate

After flattening in with a spat when wet does this look too early for the next trowel?

On an apprenticeship , 2nd year now, with my dad but he only wants to do airless since about 5 months into my time, I learnt skim well and was doing well but then he took me off it and I’ve lost it, trying to get myself back into it now

Blank video here,isn't any1 teaching you?
The video showed me touching a wall, couldn’t make a print just putting my hand to it but could by pressing it in a bit and then could make a mark sliding my finger down but it was massive, does that sound too early for a first trowel after flattening earlier with a spat?

The video showed me touching a wall, couldn’t make a print just putting my hand to it but could by pressing it in a bit and then could make a mark sliding my finger down but it was massive, does that sound too early for a first trowel after flattening earlier with a spat?
By the sounds of it mate you need some more guidance. It’s impossible from describing on here an the odd video. Can’t your dad do a few foreigners with you?

By the sounds of it mate you need some more guidance. It’s impossible from describing on here an the odd video. Can’t your dad do a few foreigners with you?
He isn’t interested mate, when I skim for a few days straight I get mint results coz I can get my head back into it. I’m thinking of going with someone else for a small while after I get my papers because I need the experience.

He isn’t interested mate, when I skim for a few days straight I get mint results coz I can get my head back into it. I’m thinking of going with someone else for a small while after I get my papers because I need the experience
Try asking any of the members on here that are local to you if you can jump on and give them a hand

Ye mate needs to be practical in showing you when to go over it,f**k the spat off aswell young squire,learn how to use a trowel first it might sound harsh but its true,all you whipper snappers these days jump straight onto speedskims/spats/superflexs/flip flops etc and ask why your not getting results.stick to the steel trowel from start to finish and learn your timings before you jump on the new age stuff

Ye mate needs to be practical in showing you when to go over it,f**k the spat off aswell young squire,learn how to use a trowel first it might sound harsh but its true,all you whipper snappers these days jump straight onto speedskims/spats/superflexs/flip flops etc and ask why your not getting results.stick to the steel trowel from start to finish and learn your timings before you jump on the new age stuff
100% agree. I assumed he was already competent with the trowel

Will do mate (y) was using just a trowel at first and I improved quick to be honest so was shown speedskims. I’ll take your advice and go back to basics, let it pick up a bit and flatten, let it go again and trowel sort edges out, wet trowel after and cross trowel

That's like saying use chalk and slate board for two years before using computer. no need, use todays technology leave the past to the old spreads.

Will do mate (y) was using just a trowel at first and I improved quick to be honest so was shown speedskims. I’ll take your advice and go back to basics, let it pick up a bit and flatten, let it go again and trowel sort edges out, wet trowel after and cross trowel
Don’t b to keen to f**k about with it have brew Instead U will have plenty of time in the future For chasing ur arse around all day stick to ur steel trowel and try and do a good job

Just use same trowel start to finish.you can cross trowel when towelling up as it comes up nice but it needs to have gone in so your not moving much gear about.my 2nd coat mix is wetter than the 1st coat mix.just get it on and dont f**k about with it

Just use same trowel start to finish.you can cross trowel when towelling up as it comes up nice but it needs to have gone in so your not moving much gear about.my 2nd coat mix is wetter than the 1st coat mix.just get it on and dont f**k about with it
Just lay on neat and tidy then leave to pick up?