apprentice looking for advice

Members online

rt88

Been a while since my first post but just looking for some input from experienced plasterers. Currently serving my time with the local council, have 1 year til my trade test. Just wondering what everyone's Input is on wages? my dilemma is try go out myself or work on sites and make 600/700 a week or or take my steady 420 wage from the council and try do one homer(I'm Scottish think they might be called foreigners or something down south) a week and make my wages up. also I only really do bonding and skimming, sometimes dot and dab here. at college I'm leading rendering, ashlar work, fibourous plastering, and coving and in situ cornice etc and really enjoy these aspects and would love to take this further? thanks for taking the time to read and look forward to all your input.

this is the sort of work I don't do on site but do in college I would like to further

You get 420 a week. Plus 31.5 holidays a year and bank holidays plus up to 12 flex days a year = 50 days holiday. 6mths full sick and 6mths half sick money. A v.good government pension with good employer contributions. A company van and diesel paid for. All electric tools supplied and probably able to pick up what you want from builders merchants. Don't have to brake your back.
And if you wanted to earn extra they probably got call outs.
And chance of doing private at weekend.
You probably have to earn 50k to 60k a year min just to match that and then deal with all the crap that goes with it.

I presume multi trades earn more and you have the opportunity to move onto this if you wanted.

I can understand why you'd want to experience different works but there is a lot to consider. Grass ain't always greener.

Nice work by the way.

I can see skills that you are picking up will be wasted at a council job. But do you think you'd get much opportunity outside of that job to do this apart from the v rare occasion. Or will you just be throwing pink about on sites. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that your always chassing work.

Stay with the council for a couple more years when you have finished you time. Buy yourself a van and start to do jobs at the weekend to gain some more experience .The job you have will be a good safety net untill you build on your confidence and skills to go on your own plus i bet you get to work in some right diiiiirrty MILFs houses so if you have time please post some pictures up. :coffe: