anything over hpx?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

rankamateur

hello,

i've posted elsewhere on the site in my naive enthusiasm. sorry for that as im a total diyer and now mightily confused.:RpS_confused:

the issue: i need to render approx 10 sqm osb over a 6' timber frame loft dormer. trowelled i.e like venetian polished finish sought.

option 1. because of price and desired finish, i was going to go riblath then 3 x s /c (battens, membrane/paper etc). It's bound to move but... the largest area is 4 sq m broken up by vertical window openings (not full height but could be framed up that way to create expansion gaps). And everyone I've mentioned it too thinks i'm bonkers.

option 2. the builders who are helping with the steelwork suggested render board and hpx after which I could do a thinnish s / c or some variant but this is probably double the price. the microcement people are keen to sell a thin topcoat which is the look i'm after but fkn expensive and you've got to put a lacquer on it which worries me if moisture gets between that and the hpx.

One good thing is that if the hpx is water resistant then I don't mind (some and small) crazy paving cracks in the topcoat (part of finish).

Lastly, I know that the responsible thing to do is call in the pro's but I did all the levelling and skimming on the inside and made all the mistakes like trying to do it in one go (my mate was a crap teacher), leaving it too long, floating too hard, trying to regain control with buckets of water, too stiff on the ceilings and too wet on the walls (floor), not knowing what beads were and doing corners freehand or against a bit of ply, no pva, pva too wet, pva dry and waterproof etc etc. And I've enjoyed it so i've kind of got to have a go at the outside.:rolleyes)

Any advice appreciated.

Any information , recomendations that you receive or glean from the forum are solely and expressly the opinions of the authors and in no way represent the opinions or interests of the forum owners, moderators, or their families.

Any information , recomendations that you receive or glean from the forum are solely and expressly the opinions of the authors and in no way represent the opinions or interests of the forum owners, moderators, or their families.

So think on :RpS_thumbup:

??

it's an honest and urgent enquiry. I'm on a tight budget and don't want to have to extend the lease on the scaffold so s / c is a receeding option given time between coats etc and my inexperience.

Hello Mate

Think I may have posted on your other post....

if it is dorma cheeks - osb on the timber studs, lead up from the roof (go 5 or 6 inches up the OSB) then breather membrane on the outside of the OSB (a couple of inches down over the lead, on the outside of it), then render board (Preferably Knauf Aquapanel Exterior :rolleyes)), then HPX with a mesh embedded, then you can apply a thin S&C coat and paint.

If you are going to paint the finish anyway, you might be able to get the finish you like using the HPX anyway - apply the 5mm layer with the mesh, smooth it out a bit and let that dry, then apply another 1 / 2 mm coat and smooth out, let it dry and paint.

If you want this confirmed - contact me directly on the details below.... I will get K rend to confirm as well.......

Good Luck

Richard Lord
Aquapanel Exterior Spec Manager
rlord@knauf.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.