Anyone want a small job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktmjon

Any partition fixers out there want a days work? I need a wall built, it's in an office building and it's just under 30 ft wide by 8.5ft to the suspended ceiling. Needs to have double doors in the middle. I can get the materials ordered just need the metal framework fixed as never done it before. Job is in Milton Keynes. And needs to be done on 14th/15th July. £150 cash For putting the frame work up, I'll help with you for the day.

Cheers

Go straight up to the solid ceiling above (concrete maybe?) and refix the grid either side of the partition once boarded and skimmed. Some extra shadow baton and grid perimeter needed probably.

If the partion is to have a set of double doors in it,then that will have to be a robust structural opening. The partition will need to be fixed both to the floor and structural soffit. ie maybe a concrete soffit above the lay in grid. ( it could be 1half a metre above the grid, it could be 2 , i;guessing you have checked) Once you go over 3m in height you will need to consider a wider stud.

The job probably requires that the grid be stripped back to a suitable amount to allow the partition to be constructed. Once plastered/ T+J then the lay in grid can be built back to the new wall. You will need to consider the extra grid components required for this, mainly perimeter trim to match the existing.

If this is the case then £ 150 is way off the mark

why cant you fix to the grid, those things are pretty rigid especially with tiles in them. Theres no weight going to be hanging of it and you could always extend a few studs to brace it. its only an office petition

Thanks for all the advice. But think I'd struggle on my own as never used the stuff before. Was just seeing if any one on here was near Milton Keynes and wanted couple days work.£300. But think I'll have to pass on the job

why cant you fix to the grid, those things are pretty rigid especially with tiles in them. Theres no weight going to be hanging of it and you could always extend a few studs to brace it. its only an office petition

The grid hangs on wire, there is very little strength to it.

OK so lets pretend that we have somehow screwed the top track of the partition into the grid. Do we then board up to the tiles, then skim, maybe brush our angle into the tiles?

How this would look, like the wall was meant to be there or an after thought.

U would butt your boards up to the grid tiles and then tape and fill the joints. The grid doesn't swing about its just supported on wire. It's quite a rigid structure when the tiles are in. You could send a few studs straight up at the ends and the door opening
It don't matter if the tile shoots through the new wall

I suppose your way would make it easier to dismantle if he ever needed to move or get rid of the partition, but if there was to be permanent then I know which way I would do it.

Any partition fixers out there want a days work? I need a wall built, it's in an office building and it's just under 30 ft wide by 8.5ft to the suspended ceiling. Needs to have double doors in the middle. I can get the materials ordered just need the metal framework fixed as never done it before. Job is in Milton Keynes. And needs to be done on 14th/15th July. £150 cash For putting the frame work up, I'll help with you for the day.

Cheers

ill do it just fly me over

I suppose your way would make it easier to dismantle if he ever needed to move or get rid of the partition, but if there was to be permanent then I know which way I would do it.

I think we all know how it should be done,however maybe if the partition was at 90 degrees to the main runners( and fixed to them) he might get away with it,tying to fix into the cross tees would be too weak. Then perhaps put a shadow gap detail at the top so he does not have to plaster into the ceiling tiles.

That said, the doors still need to be in a robust structural opening !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.