Anyone used sika systems?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

grump

Just got some plans fir an extention, spec list states sika plaster to be used on an external wall that will now be an internal wall. Says to to use sika or equivalent, I'm guessing it's not a one coat and would need a breathable finish over the top. Iv not used these materials before, have you? Any tips on application and suppliers?

Nick

Idont think Sika do plaster mate its a waterproof additive i guess and not the best available in this country.

Idont think Sika do plaster mate its a waterproof additive i guess and not the best available in this country.

Oh I see, iv not heard of it before. What's it's advantage over any other other proofer then? Just trying to figure out why the architect has spec'd it.

Oh I see, iv not heard of it before. What's it's advantage over any other other proofer then? Just trying to figure out why the architect has spec'd it.

I've used sika1 before for a builder, it's used for tanking I think and it makes the s+c go like chewing gum. It also firms up pretty quickly so giv it a scratch with the sika additive then giv it a top coat as normal. That's my experience with the stuff anyhow, only used it the once

spec is just recommending you put water proofer in your float sand and cement coat. find that sika stuff, especially sika1 makes the gear dead to use. wickes do a good waterproofer. seems the same as the cementone one but cheaper. any dampness though and sika1 is the one to go for. whats going on the other walls??

Spec

Remove existing plaster/plasterboard in existing lean to, investigate wall, make good, treat with SIKA or other approved system, finish with lime plaster. Provide proprietary system breathing tubes near base of wall to releave water/damp pressure.

spec is just recommending you put water proofer in your float sand and cement coat. find that sika stuff, especially sika1 makes the gear dead to use. wickes do a good waterproofer. seems the same as the cementone one but cheaper. any dampness though and sika1 is the one to go for. whats going on the other walls??

Some of them are to stay exposed, some are to form a new tea room and bog, to have independent stud with celotex in-between. It's just the one wall to have sika on it with lime finish.

I worked on the spinaker tower in portsmouth which we used sika two pack render over the concrete tower nice gear.

As far as im aware difference between Sika1 and other waterproofers is that it resists water pressure. Why is there lime in specification?

I don't know yet, il have to ask the builder. It's the first set of plans iv had from them and iv been trying to get stuck into this builder for years, thet get loads of work and like to stick to one gang if they can. So I was keen to Price it for them hassle free. Builder gives me plans says there's a bit of sika work there, I say yea ok, as if I know wtf it is!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.