Anyone Know What This Is?

Just cut a hole in the the ceiling to confirm 100% what it is. Never seen this before. It’s very light and soft. Looks like it’s made of wood fibres. 15mm thick. Must be original as it runs in to the coving.

Anyone know what it is? Should I get it tested?

Thanks

Attachments

• 3D939419-2C94-4C53-B546-22D76D29D558.jpeg
    3D939419-2C94-4C53-B546-22D76D29D558.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 343
  • 498BD017-C0C8-435F-A679-F91E1035983C.jpeg
    498BD017-C0C8-435F-A679-F91E1035983C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 362
  • B56EABF1-ACC8-4454-8600-838C7E434CF1.jpeg
    B56EABF1-ACC8-4454-8600-838C7E434CF1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 336
  • AA929A74-A2D8-4091-BA52-E7CB925B7D9E.jpeg
    AA929A74-A2D8-4091-BA52-E7CB925B7D9E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 355
  • 2BA7AF5B-C407-4177-A649-BF9AF0866D7F.jpeg
    2BA7AF5B-C407-4177-A649-BF9AF0866D7F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 340
Apparently it’s koi insulated plasterboard made from all natural materials such as coconut fibres etc.... thank god!

Just cut a hole in the the ceiling to confirm 100% what it is. Never seen this before. It’s very light and soft. Looks like it’s made of wood fibres. 15mm thick. Must be original as it runs in to the coving.

Thanks
I thought you said you’re ceilings were regular normal plasterboard???????? Hahahahaha!

I thought you said you’re ceilings were regular normal plasterboard???????? Hahahahaha!

I said it was plaster board, which it is, and not lath&plaster as many told me it would be. It’s just pre-insulated plasterboard so you don’t need any insulation in the cavity. You can see the white layer before the first skim which is the plaster board part. Much lighter than plaster board and probably easier to get down. Just glad it’s not asbestos!!!

I said it was plaster board, which it is, and not lath&plaster as many told me it would be. It’s just pre-insulated plasterboard so you don’t need any insulation in the cavity. You can see the white layer before the first skim which is the plaster board part. Much lighter than plaster board and probably easier to get down. Just glad it’s not asbestos!!!
I took one of them down and got right on my chest till I gagged....wear a mask

Looks like fibreboard to me.

I took one of them down and got right on my chest till I gagged....wear a mask

You should wear a mask nowadays for any building dust, there’s no excuse anymore about not understanding the risks. MDF might prove to be worse than asbestos in the long run, yet idiots still cut it in a house with no mask or dust protection. Wood dust causes nose and throat cancer. God knows what plaster dust does when it gets in your lungs. Nearly all building dust is highly toxic to you, so why risk you health.

I was just speaking to a mate who’s still a carpenter. We were just saying only 15years ago we were ripping out huge office spaces with no protection at all. Now you need a full mask, gloves and a wash room to remove dust and change your clothes before leaving the site. It’s a good thing, as naivety is the real issue.

Thanks
looks like celotex to me [compressed cardboard]

Thanks
Don't know what in anything m8 in the 60s 70s they used asbestos in many stuff it important to wear a mask and I'm good one to talk they tell me 60s or 70s they found asbestos in blue circle cement don't know if that true

This is what I’ve been told.

“Koi insulated plasterboard - reasonably common before the polystyrene and polyurethane backed plasterboard became the norm for integrated insulated plasterboard.
No asbestos --- just koi, coconut fibres, hessian, hemp, or some other natural materials.
I wish more of it were still available.”

This is what I’ve been told.

“Koi insulated plasterboard - reasonably common before the polystyrene and polyurethane backed plasterboard became the norm for integrated insulated plasterboard.
No asbestos --- just koi, coconut fibres, hessian, hemp, or some other natural materials.
I wish more of it were still available.”
You haven't tested it so how do you know ther no asbestos in it. as I say in the 60 70 they use to put the s**t in most things who would think cement artex tiles soffit and many more stuff got asbestos

You haven't tested it so how do you know ther no asbestos in it. as I say in the 60 70 they use to put the s**t in most things who would think cement artex tiles soffit and many more stuff got asbestos

Firstly it’s from the 30’s. Received the building asbestos survey today and have had it confirmed there is 100% no asbestos in the ceilings. Only places in the building are behind a few fuse boxes.

Firstly it’s from the 30’s. Received the building asbestos survey today and have had it confirmed there is 100% no asbestos in the ceilings. Only places in the building are behind a few fuse boxes.
Sunday afternoon you were asking should I get it tested and this afternoon you get a test result that quick

Didn't you just want to cover some cracks in your ceiling to begin with?
fkin hell pal you're opening up a can of worms and making this job far bigger and more messy and expensive than it should be.

Shoulda got the filler and sand paper out instead.

Sunday afternoon you were asking should I get it tested and this afternoon you get a test result that quick

The building management firm have had an extensive asbestos survey of the building and sent me the report. Also they confirmed it’s the same material across all the ceilings and there is 100% no asbestos in the ceilings.

Got a quote of £2k to take it down and re-board and skim it! Looks like I’ll be getting my multi tool and stepladder out at the weekend.

All this because some t**t was too lazy to scrap paper off a ceiling.

Hard I know my mrs was the same , she spent nearly 7k on a door
I was even contemplating phoning the claims guys on her