• Thread starter Deleted member 23452
  • Start date

Members online

D

Deleted member 23452

..... in Stratford on the 18th/19th? If so, it might be delayed. :LOL:

Another 'My Builder' classic. :rolleyes:

Description of work:
“In need of a tradesman to remove an approx 30cm x 201cm section of non load bearing internal wall. Essentially widening a half width wardrobe door to allow a cupboard to be fitted in the built in wardrobe.

I have a plasterer coming on Wednesday 18th Jan/ Thursday 19th Jan so looking for someone to do this work tomorrow/ Wednesday.”

These people should shine a light into the sky, like in batman, when they want a plasterer......pffft
Told ya this is year the plasterers fight back and we get seen as a trade again what I wanna know is where are the other plasterers these builders/Members of public speak of the fast ones for 120 a day

Told ya this is year the plasterers fight back and we get seen as a trade again what I wanna know is where are the other plasterers these builders/Members of public speak of the fast ones for 120 a day

I think it's at least partly a side effect of the training courses. They churn out 'qualified' people in a range of trades now who are all fighting for the very few improver jobs available. So having spent a small fortune of their own money they are faced with the choice of earning nothing or taking whatever they can get by going in cheap on domestics. I don't blame them so much as the 'colleges'.

The other factor in play is that now a lot of big sites have opened up again the trades are going back for meterage rates which has two effects. Firstly it causes a shortage of people for domestic work which means that people who've done a course in brick laying, carpentry, electrical installations, plastering etc and got a cert but no experience can get a foothold by filling the gap. Secondly it allows the colleges to promote the 'skills shortage' routine and churn out even more with tales of trades earning fifty or sixty grand a year.

They have the same business model as puppy farms IMNSHO, churn them out as fast as possible without a care for what happens to them after the cash has changed hands.

I agree with all @imago says above.....I would add that before long the "qualified" puppy shop plasterer end up here, either for advice or therapy!!

I've had a couple of numptys already this year best one yet was Thursday plasterer had let them down been booked in since 2nd week of December not answering calls etc so I went round ceiling needed overboard and walls needed coat of bonding to fill out pattern then skim , started measuring and she goes I can't understand why other plasterer didn't show i thought here we go measured up said i will get Price back to you by tomorrow ok great she said got out of there before I had the sob story, rings following day with quote and she goes OMG!! I have a budget you know ! so I said tell me the quote you had and I will try to get near it I kid you not materials included £150 quid said it will take him two days I said you best keep trying him then [emoji23] what chance have you got ay with tools like that also had one quoted £50 a day by a plonker jokers !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a couple of numptys already this year best one yet was Thursday plasterer had let them down been booked in since 2nd week of December not answering calls etc so I went round ceiling needed overboard and walls needed coat of bonding to fill out pattern then skim , started measuring and she goes I can't understand why other plasterer didn't show i thought here we go measured up said i will get Price back to you by tomorrow ok great she said got out of there before I had the sob story, rings following day with quote and she goes OMG!! I have a budget you know ! so I said tell me the quote you had and I will try to get near it I kid you not materials included £150 quid said it will take him two days I said you best keep trying him then [emoji23] what chance have you got ay with tools like that also had one quoted £50 a day by a plonker jokers !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no chance... let them get on with it

I think it's at least partly a side effect of the training courses. They churn out 'qualified' people in a range of trades now who are all fighting for the very few improver jobs available. So having spent a small fortune of their own money they are faced with the choice of earning nothing or taking whatever they can get by going in cheap on domestics. I don't blame them so much as the 'colleges'.

The other factor in play is that now a lot of big sites have opened up again the trades are going back for meterage rates which has two effects. Firstly it causes a shortage of people for domestic work which means that people who've done a course in brick laying, carpentry, electrical installations, plastering etc and got a cert but no experience can get a foothold by filling the gap. Secondly it allows the colleges to promote the 'skills shortage' routine and churn out even more with tales of trades earning fifty or sixty grand a year.

They have the same business model as puppy farms IMNSHO, churn them out as fast as possible without a care for what happens to them after the cash has changed hands.
Good summary

The guys who do the one week course tend to screw up quickly and spectacularly though don't they. How many times have you been called in by a potential customer to put right a f#ck up done by one. My price more than doubles.