anyone else

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
seen what i saw today.worked with a spread for first time his work was decent clean and reasonably quick but he didnt scrim his joints on d+d walls only at ceiling line or at studed wall .he swore hes been doing it or not doing it for years and had no comebacks.im too old in the tooth for that one but i guess his theory might of had some weight he reckons there will be no movement of boards i disagree but there you go

i suppose if you do a continuous border of dabs around the perimeter of the board theres less chance of it cracking than if you do say 5 or 6 dabs down the side.

dry wall adhesive can easily crack........so if it cracks along a join .....finish will crack.........not taping joins is hideous

I can see where he's coming from, boards screwed to timber are gonna move due to expansion/contraction of the timber due to varying humidity/temperature levels throughout the seaons each year. But boards dabbed onto a masonary background aint gonna be affected the same, especially if continuous dabs are used.

Bet it'll still crack though eventually! It's just not worth risking it.....

I would agree scrim everything (except the screws) but even with scrim it can crack, saying that in my livingroom i skimmed the room out before i put a stud wall up for the hallway (as i didnt know what i was gonna do) skimed it without scrimming the ceiling line and internals and it have not cracked and that was 2 years ago.

i vaguely remember when skimming the old 4foot x 2foot boards (lovely ;D ) in ireland that
u didnt need to scrim the joints. In fact they used to leave an approx 3/5 mm gap
between the boards as a kind of 'key', similar to lathing plaster?. Still scrim them meself
tho

the small lath boards have a rounded edge so the plaster pushes around the edges and the ends link together. I have seen joints crack that have been scrimmed on dot and dab . At the end of the day prevention is better than cure so how long does it take and cost. I would do it anyway for my own piece of mind, at least if there is some comeback you know everything has been done that can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.